• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at the SCG, Sydney, 7 Jan - 11 Jan 2021

Shady Slim

International Coach
hmmm this is precisely what he did a few times today tbh
i suppose any runs against india’s 5 + 6 seamers on the princes highway should be taken with a grain of salt, especially given that green’s home ground is another highway, but i am hopeful he can sort it

like you say it seems like he’s the sort of bloke to work hard on technical fixes

aussie tragic

International Captain
One witness

Who knows whether he witnessed everything

Calling a Muslim guy Shiraz is pretty dumb tbh
Are you serious? Calling Siraj "Shiraz" is dumb [and racist]? The world is seriously ****ed if this is making people tremble with horror. "Welcome to Brisbane Shiraz" signs to now be everywhere at the Gabba.

Shady Slim

International Coach
it may not be outright racist but there’s always a bit of gray area when it comes to taking the piss out of foreign people’s names, and when a bunch of gronks yell out WELCOME TO SYDNEY out at the touring brown blokes, again, while it isn’t overt racism there’s an argument it’s racially charged and that’s not okay. i doubt they would be saying that to NZ.

and it is unequivocally better for the game for the fans to stay outside of the ambiguity and gray area and avoid anything that can be construed as racist even. it’s not the “death of the fan”, it’s because we live in a tolerant society and should give the indian cricket team the respect that they deserve (ie not doing racism)

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Making fun of someone's name isn't racist or I've had many racist remarks over the years made about my name by other white folks. Honestly if "Shiraz" for Siraj is now considered racist, then everything is racist and it loses its meaning. They're not calling him the racist c word or the n word here. They're calling him a beloved type of grape. It's not bloody racist.

Now if they in fact were having a go at the colour of his skin or doing something else which was racial in origin then throw the book at him. But if "Shiraz" is the worst of it then it's not racist and Siraj needs to pull his head out of his arse.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Are you serious? Calling Siraj "Shiraz" is dumb [and racist]? The world is seriously ****ed if this is making people tremble with horror. "Welcome to Brisbane Shiraz" signs to now be everywhere at the Gabba.
**** me, Burgey was right about Brisbane all along.

My day is ruined.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
Making fun of someone's name isn't racist or I've had many racist remarks over the years made about my name by other white folks. Honestly if "Shiraz" for Siraj is now considered racist, then everything is racist and it loses its meaning. They're not calling him the racist c word or the n word here. They're calling him a beloved type of grape. It's not bloody racist.

Now if they in fact were having a go at the colour of his skin or doing something else which was racial in origin then throw the book at him. But if "Shiraz" is the worst of it then it's not racist and Siraj needs to pull his head out of his arse.
remember this is one guy who reported it

Who tf knows what was said over days.

I doubt guys would be ejected for calling him Shiraz

Shady Slim

International Coach

i’m not saying it’s overtly quite racist it’s just that there’s a significant overlap between doing racism and poking fun at the names of foreign people, and it is best for all parties if we stay on the safe side of the line as spectators or we do risk opening the door to it getting worse and eventually someone out there is dropping an n bomb

Kirkut

International Regular
Right, what I was thinking was more that the shots that Smith really relies on hand eye for are the wide flashy drives whereas Ponting relied on it to play balls on the stumps. Smith obviously could just elect not to play those shots or change how he plays them, whereas Ponting never could/did. In general imo the bigger your backlift, the more reliant on hand eye you are because the earlier you have to decide where the ball will be.
Which makes it so hard to get Smith out because he's so good at reading the deliveries.

Gnske

**** me, Burgey was right about Brisbane all along.

My day is ruined.
No stop. Brisbane is a step above this level of mongrel behaviour, after all its a city of culture and wisdom. We have a state library, lovely coffee. Lovely people too, great city.

Flem274*

123/5
i doubt they just called him shiraz. that's tame compared to the chat at your average seddon park odi once the lights are on.

stephen

Maybe we're focusing on the wrong thing. Maybe he heard "welcome to Sydney" and found that hideously racist. I mean being welcomed to such a shitty place would be very off putting for someone from literally anywhere else in the world. Can you imagine the horror?

Gnske

Well, if I were to do that it just cause a lot of distress and there would be many questions asked. Mainly along the lines of "is it in yet?" Etc
Lmao got you to post outside of Other.

You're in now, and by god it feels good.

Kirkut

International Regular
Hopefully the Indian batsmen take inspiration from Faf-ab Adelaide. Vihari has to be close to the end if he fails.
Faf - ab weren't facing Cummins then... Cummins is a kind of bowler who never gets demoralized, I thought Pujara would tire him in 1st innings but he's always positive.

stephen

Faf - ab weren't facing Cummins then... Cummins is a kind of bowler who never gets demoralized, I thought Pujara would tire him in 1st innings but he's always positive.
Have you seen the way that bloke bowls? Arsehole always looks like taking a wicket regardless of the batting and the pitch. It's no wonder he's always positive.