• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at the SCG, Sydney, 7 Jan - 11 Jan 2021

Gob

International Coach
It intuitively feels like South Africa would be a great place to play Usman but his record there in 5 Tests is pretty horrible. I suppose the strength of the bowling outweighed the fact that the conditions should suit him.

I'd just pick Head but I don't really see it paying dividends there.
Are they any good now though?

I mean South Africans. Haven't seen them much of late

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ideally for South Africa:

Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Green
Pucovski
Paine +*
Cummins
Pattinson
Lyon
Hazlewood

I feel Pattinson is a better bowler for SA wickets than Starc, despite the fact that Starc has been extremely good in the last couple of years.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Even with the technical issues Head does have it's reasonably rare he goes real cheaply, not as terminal as someone like Burns for example where he just looked a walking wicket.

To me the bigger concern is more the tendency to do something not bright in the 20-30 run range. It isn't like there is abundant options though.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ideally for South Africa:

Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Green
Pucovski
Paine +*
Cummins
Pattinson
Lyon
Hazlewood

I feel Pattinson is a better bowler for SA wickets than Starc, despite the fact that Starc has been extremely good in the last couple of years.
I like this a lot. Not so much the Pattinson v Starc, but the batting line up. Don't like either Head or Wade atm and Khawaja seems a sensible choice. Don't think Green would bat ahead of Pucovski though.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Are they any good now though?

I mean South Africans. Haven't seen them much of late
Hard to know given SL touring parties typically make gods out of peons.

But they're not that good. Certainly lacking in cricketing IQ. That's not even mentioning the batting side of things.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Wade will no doubt score a downhill skiing or pressure-free lost cause ton in the second dig of the fourth Test anyway so he can go and bat like a #8 in South Africa so the discussion is realistically moot.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bowling would be alright I guess with Rabada, Nortje and Ngidi?

And of course the known Steve Smith killer Maraaj
Rabada is injured (not sure if he'll be back by then, but if he is he'll be underdone), Ngidi has kind of lost it, Maharaj is averaging over 60 with the ball in his last ten Tests. I like Nortje but he's way too raw to lead an attack.

It could be a good attack, but at the moment it isn't. It's certainly a far cry from Steyn, Philander and Morkel.

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
I think on the bouncier SA wickets Head will do well. Propensity for the cut shot helped Phil Hughes there a lot. The good news is that Philander and Abbott aren't there anymore. The attack will probably be Rabada, Ngidi, Nortje, Maharaj, Mulder. Not sure if someone a similar pace to the aforementioned like Mulder can get as extravagant movement off the seam.