• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at the SCG, Sydney, 7 Jan - 11 Jan 2021

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's surprising India have managed to be competitive this series with half their options gone but the workload clearly taken a toll. Amazed that Vihari hasn't bowled at all. Let him roll his arm over, no point breaking bumrah hoping for a miracle.

Burgey

Ashwin at mid on is simultaneously hilarious and a genuine chance of a hammy every time the ball goes near him

Burgey

**** that’s crazy facing 56 balls at three in a test and only leaving one. Usually one of his strengths

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
The conduct of Waugh’s side in general (which I have long said was ordinary and far worse than under Ponting who copped a worse ragging for it) is a different question entirely to the “this is test cricket” attitude to intimidatory bowling. Which is something which was around for ages.
When I said 'culture', I meant the whole lot. They tie together and the wider culture reinforces that particular attitude compared to not having being in it. They are trotted out much more regularly particularly nowadays with relation to bowling short at tailenders, which is what I believe was occurring in the case Taufel mentioned and which we have been doing regularly, not that others don't also do so, they don't trot out such justifications quite so much, though. Taufel thought Waugh's opinion, expressed to an umpire during a match, was credible, but I believe he was overlooking that it sprung at least in part from the wider culture that brought Australian cricket into a certain amount of discredit. I believe you are watching Fox whereas I am watching 7: Taufel was basically saying, 'Yes there is this law, but listen also to this particular person's opinion on how to handle things'—i.e. not enforcing it. Cnerd's mention of commentators, fans, etc., dovetailed nicely with how Taufel decided to justify umpires not applying the laws as much as I believe they ought to, and certainly less than they are able to, because many have the same cultural set.

Kirkut

International Regular
Anyways, winning a test series in Australia without Kohli, Shami and Ishant is too ambitious. Apart from South Africa, most teams struggle to win anything there with full strength sides.

Burgey

When I said 'culture', I meant the whole lot. They tie together and the wider culture reinforces that particular attitude compared to not having being in it. They are trotted out much more regularly particularly nowadays with relation to bowling short at tailenders, which is what I believe was occurring in the case Taufel mentioned. Taufel thought Waugh's opinion, expressed to an umpire during a match, was credible, but I believe he was overlooking that it sprung at least in part from the wider culture that brought Australian cricket into a certain amount of discredit. I believe you are watching Fox whereas I am watching 7: Taufel was basically saying, 'Yes there is this law, but listen also to this particular person's opinion on how to handle things'. Cnerd's mention of commentators, fans, etc., dovetailed nicely with how Taufel decided to justify umpires not applying the laws as much as I believe they ought to, and certainly less than they are able to, because many have the same cultural set.
This is a peculiar reasoning on your and his part for umpires not enforcing the law. How, for example, can an umpire not enforcing it at Cape Town in a test vs SL be put down to the big, bad, naughty Australian team?