• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at the SCG, Sydney, 7 Jan - 11 Jan 2021

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How's the forecast for tomorrow? Unless we lose half a day atleast, I dont see India saving this, way too much time left.

Window

U19 Debutant
With Smith coming good, India's finally feeling the loss if Kohli and Shami/Ishant. I don't see India coming back for the rest of the series. Was always going to be tough with key players missing/injured.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yea I'm all for umpires enforcing Law 41.6 more often, but there is going to massive amount of blowback from fans/coaches/media if any umpire actually does it during a game.
Just curious on reading the law, does this apply irrespective of whether there appears to be a legitimate ploy to get the batsmen out, ie the occasional full ball in between? I can see how there's a complete disregard towards applying it at all.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Yea I'm all for umpires enforcing Law 41.6 more often, but there is going to massive amount of blowback from fans/coaches/media if any umpire actually does it during a game.
Or perhaps they should just bloody enforce it. Taufel was on earlier saying that when he went to warn Lee in some match or other, Steve Waugh went up and told him 'this is test cricket', etc. Why does the umpire, the man in charge of the game, listen to the opinions of somebody who was a big contributor to making the Australians reviled by the rest of the cricketing world, or the boofheaded opinions of those like him? If they actually do it enough, it will become normalised just like giving batsmen out l.b.w. on the front foot has been.

cnerd123

likes this
Just curious on reading the law, does this apply irrespective of whether there appears to be a legitimate ploy to get the batsmen out, ie the occasional full ball in between? I can see how there's a complete disregard towards applying it at all.
It's completely subjective and up to the umpire's interpretation. As you suggest, umpires are probably reluctant to enforce it because it would mean taking a stance that what the fielding side is doing is not part of a legitimate strategy to take a wicket. That is a very hard stance to justify, and which is why perhaps allowing umpires to report such incidents after the game, away from the heat of the moment, would be better. Let a committee sit and review the evidence and make their call after the match is done.

Or perhaps they should just bloody enforce it. Taufel was on earlier saying that when he went to warn Lee in some match or other, Steve Waugh went up and told him 'this is test cricket', etc. Why does the umpire, the man in charge of the game, listen to the opinions of somebody who was a big contributor to making the Australians reviled by the rest of the cricketing world, or the boofheaded opinions of those like him? If they actually do it enough, it will become normalised just like giving batsmen out l.b.w. on the front foot has been.
Umpires are not that respected, in case you haven't noticed. If they enforce 41.6 the way you think they should, it would be a massive controversy, and could lead to the umpire(s) in question even losing their job. Look at the fallout from Darrell Hair enforcing 21.2. I think ATM it needs to be blatantly obvious that the bowling side was trying to hurt a batsman, and not get them out, in order to enforce 41.6. We just don't really have any examples of that in modern cricket. I do agree, however, that this bar can be lowered a bit.

Last edited:

Burgey

There was a notorious incident in 1981 where Doug Walters was batting with deadset ferret Jim Higgs, who was bounced out off the gloves and the umpire ruled it not out on the basis of intimidatory bowling.

I think the bowler was Martin Sneddon or some such. Which was bizarre, because Lille and Thommo then the Windies had spent half a decade bouncing every **** all the time

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can just see captains not being a fan of the definition of intimidating bowling under the law as soon as the trigger gets pulled. Taking the law literally, Starc could bowl his first short ball at a tail-ender and get called for intimidation immediately as opposed to when a pattern of intimidating bowling is developed. Plus a lack of proper precedent has been set on when it should be called as far as I'm aware on a practical basis in international cricket, at least in the recent past unless I've missed an incident or two.

But yeah there'd be whinging at first and calls of "I thought this was test cricket wtf". But there's no rub to watching someone like Shami have his arm smashed needlessly.

Burgey

Why does the umpire, the man in charge of the game, listen to the opinions of somebody who was a big contributor to making the Australians reviled by the rest of the cricketing world,
So the umpires should just listen to players Depending on how popular they are all over the world? So basically only Kane Williamson.