• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at the SCG, Sydney, 7 Jan - 11 Jan 2021

Spark

Global Moderator
TBH, like I said, I see why it is an issue for the players and it is easy to be sympathetic to their concerns if it was raised properly and at the right time. I guess these new developments may bail out the BCCI but I just want to point out it is absolutely ****ty of them to raise this as late as they are doing right now. Like I said, the most sensible group in this whole thing has been CA and I feel bad if they are having to tense it out for absolutely no fault of their own. Most of the fault here with the current state of affairs, is with the BCCI.
To be honest it kind of feels like there's factionalism at play within the BCCI/touring party. There are clearly a lot of reasonable people there and in the touring party who really do want to make it all work and are trying hard to make it so - hence why this tour has been, up to now, as smooth as it has been - but there definitely seems to be a faction, probably one with a lot of contacts to more clickbait-y media back in India, who are more rah-rah nationalist "stand up for ourselves!".

Hopefully more reasonable heads prevail as they've done up to now. This is too enjoyable a tour to be derailed by nonsense.

cnerd123

likes this
Dire how Saini has to be kept away from the ball.
nah. There's a game to win here and he's only playing because there are ~4 players ahead of him in the pecking order unavailable (Ishant, Shami, Umesh and you could argue Bhuvi/Pandya). Not only that, but he's not been in great form this tour and did not impress on Day 1. It's debatable if he should have even been picked ahead of Natranjan or Thakur.

It would be different if he was here as part of the first choice attack and was likely to be part of the XI for the immediate future. But I think hiding him in the field and using him sparingly, like a 5th bowler, is the right move. The 4 others in the XI are better bowlers.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
nah. There's a game to win here and he's only playing because there are ~4 players ahead of him in the pecking order unavailable (Ishant, Shami, Umesh and you could argue Bhuvi/Pandya). Not only that, but he's not been in great form this tour and did not impress on Day 1. It's debatable if he should have even been picked ahead of Natranjan or Thakur.

It would be different if he was here as part of the first choice attack and was likely to be part of the XI for the immediate future. But I think hiding him in the field and using him sparingly, like a 5th bowler, is the right move. The 4 others in the XI are better bowlers.
Then why select him at all. Should have probably played the extra batsman.

cnerd123

likes this
Then why select him at all. Should have probably played the extra batsman.
did we have an extra batsman to select? lol

I reckon Jadeja has been underbowled a bit and Siraj/Bumrah possibly slightly overbowled.

Saini probably comes in to bowl full and fast to the tail if we can break this partnership

Spark

Global Moderator
Wait but hyper extensions like bumrah's are permitted right?
If it's <15 degrees. My view is that hyperextensions are just fundamentally different from what your layman would consider "chucking" even if the mathematical straightening rule treats them all the same, and should be treated differently under the laws.

cnerd123

likes this
If it's <15 degrees. My view is that hyperextensions are just fundamentally different from what your layman would consider "chucking" even if the mathematical straightening rule treats them all the same, and should be treated differently under the laws.
hyperextensions of all sorts are allowed if I understand correctly. it's straightening of >15 degrees that's a chuck.

Spark

Global Moderator
hyperextensions of all sorts are allowed if I understand correctly. it's straightening of >15 degrees that's a chuck.
Right exactly my point is that hyperextensions just shouldn't really be considered under the same straightening rules at all. It's not as if it's something he can control.

cnerd123

likes this
BOOM

Kinda worried we're in for an annoying tail-end wag with Smith marching on to 150 at the other end, but let's hope we can wrap this up soon

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Weird. I always though hyperextension didn't count in the 15 degrees measurement at all,just straightening beyond 0.Not sure how this **** works though.

Spark

Global Moderator
And also, if you don't enjoy this bowling and don't want to make sure it stays in the game then you basically don't like cricket afaic.