• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at the SCG, Sydney, 7 Jan - 11 Jan 2021

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dunno if Smith is back in form or whatever. The deck is easy, some of the bowling was poo. My theory is he was in ‘form’ all along but just got unlucky at times and also faced some good bowling to good plans. If he’d got a boundary to get going in those innings it’d probably have gone well for him. It was possibly largely in his head.

I wouldn’t pay much attention to the T20 struggles, he’s never been that good in them anyways.
He almost got bowled around his legs again at one point though. I think he does have a weakness on leg stump from the right angle at the right speed, but it's very hard to exploit.

He did look "back" today though. His godlike days might be over butt if he averages 45-50 odd from here to the end of his career he'll end up being one of the greatest ever.

stephen

Good day for Aus, though events in the US kinda spoiled it for me.

Bloody T****, even ruining cricket matches. Start your damn coup when the superbowl is on prick.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Had one of the shittest days personally and I guess its apropos that we lost the day as comprehensively as we did too. Quick thoughts -

• Pant should have caught the one off Siraj at least. But we saw Saha drop two catches in Adelaide too, so the team have made their bed and now they have to sleep on it.
  • There seemed to be a lack of discipline with the ball. Even Bumrah and Siraj started targetting Pucovski's pads but still had 3 slips and a gully. They should have communicated better and started off with the leg side traps in that case post the 10 over mark or so, at least.
  • Ashwin seemed to regress to his pre 2015 self once the catch was dropped. There was overexperimentation.
  • Genuinely do not see the big deal about Pucovski. He seems to be loose in a number of areas that bowlers will target at this level.
  • Marnus and Smith have batted well and while Smith did come out swinging, that leg gully chance had it gone an inch closer, could have been curtains. Just like we saw between Adelaide and Melbourne, the margins in this game are just so so small.
  • Jadeja seemed to be causing a few questions to Smith towards the end.
  • Rahane's captaincy was very reactive today. Hopefully they regroup and can be more proactive tomorrow.
  • There is enough turn and Warney seems to think it will quicken up too. So a comeback by India is not out of the question tomorrow morning.
  • I feel 350 is par on this track, but given our batting frailities, Australia should be front runners even with 300 on the board.

Slifer

International Captain
Good day for Aus, though events in the US kinda spoiled it for me.

Bloody T****, even ruining cricket matches. Start your damn coup when the superbowl is on prick.
The US has no leg to stand on in its criticism of politics in other countries. And did anyone else see the police pretty assisting the so called protesters/patriots. Sorry to be so off topic....

stephen

The US has no leg to stand on in its criticism of politics in other countries. And did anyone else see the police pretty assisting the so called protesters/patriots. Sorry to be so off topic....
I don't think you can really throw too much blame at the 50 or so cops that were there. The crowd was probably 30000 strong. It could easily have turned into a bloodbath and it's fortunate that it was mostly the buildings and offices that got damaged and not people.

T**** refused to call in the national guard too.

Maga is a cult. It's like a religious cult except it centres around a politician instead. Cults generally end in some kind of violence. Let's hope that's the end of it.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Never really understood the logic behind people thinking that Ponting catch shouldn't be out. Now admittedly I can't recall the exact wording in the rules but why do you care if he pushes the ball into the ground after he catches it, when it's a comfortable catch that was controlled all the way? As Gob said, he never lost control and fumbled it on to the ground. If you take a catch and throw it up to celebrate it hits the ground eventually, why is that ok but it's not ok to catch the ball and then put it on the ground? I'm sure there's some gray area in the rules but just purely from a common sense perspective, that is a catch and there shouldn't be any doubt about it IMO.

Very different to the Gibbs one, which was a genuine out-of-control fumble.
Maybe because the ground has no give and you're using it to trap the ball and prevent it from potentially bubbling out of your hands on impact with a hard surface? The control part is misleading imo; balls that get couched in the abdomen are seen as legal after all and fielders are nowhere near being in full control of those. The idea is to complete the catch without relying on anything external to the catcher's body. Which the ground obviously is.

sunilz

International Regular
Was watching few old videos of cricket in Australia.
I feel in Aussie conditions the current Australian attack is better than the one in early 2000 because there are no weak link to target ? Warne was definitely far superior spinner overseas but Lyon does the job at home.
Is this a controversial opinion? ?

Spark

Global Moderator
Some silver lining that our worst day in the field happened to be a rain-curtailed one. 166/2 is better than 300/2 for sure; hopefully we can regroup and put up a better showing tomorrow. And ffs, bowl Jadeja more.
Adelaide Day 2 was worse in the field tbh. Overall India has been pretty consistently rubbish in the field throughout the series; it's a credit to the bowlers that they've had such success despite that.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Anyone get McConaughey vibes from Pucovski? Can see a small resemblance

I mean sort of dishevelled McConaughey i.e older Rust Cohle
Yes. Looks like young Chris O'Donnell currently. Will look like Jason Patric circa Lost Boys once the baby fat wears off. Will enter middle age as McConnaughey. Hope he keeps the long mane through it all tbh.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Anyone get McConaughey vibes from Pucovski? Can see a small resemblance

I mean sort of dishevelled McConaughey i.e older Rust Cohle
Perhaps less, the face, but the rest of him, particularly with the footie in hand, reminded me of young Gary Ablett.