• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at the SCG, Sydney, 7 Jan - 11 Jan 2021

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
What ?
Kohli and Shastri have completely destroyed India's test batting particularly overseas .
We couldn't chase 200 twice in Eng/SA.
On top of that we got dismissed for 36 at Adelaide. I haven't even mentioned NZ tour.
Shaw and Agrawal both have regressed. What is our coaching staff doing?
Someone needs to take the blame for all of this.
You can't coach basics of batting at the Test Level. They need to be ready more or less. Shastri or Kohli can do zilch about Shaw and Agarwal having no clue how to deal with the fast incoming delivery. That should have been clapped into their brains much before, or they need to themselves sort it out.

cnerd123

likes this
You can't coach basics of batting at the Test Level. They need to be ready more or less. Shastri or Kohli can do zilch about Shaw and Agarwal having no clue how to deal with the fast incoming delivery. That should have been clapped into their brains much before, or they need to themselves sort it out.
I generally agree with this, but a young player like Shaw is going to be coming into the international setup extremely raw. He is 21 years old with just 3 years of FC cricket under his belt. A fifth of his career FC games have been Tests. Ideally you would want the national team setup to accelerate his development, if not maintain the rate of his development at the same level as it would be if he was grinding it out in domestix and working with his own coaches. If he's out there in Australia now and not learning anything from this experience, it would be a failure of the Shastri coaching team.

Agarwal, on the other hand, is 29 years old and has 7 years of FC experience, along with having been part of the U19 setup prior to that. As you say, you can't expect Shastri and co. overhaul his technique at this stage. Minor tweaks sure, but most of the coaching Agarwal should expect to receive at this level will be around mindset/gameplan rather than technique.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Mayank came in and immediately took to test cricket like a fish to water. If you are gonna blame his failures now on Virat and Shaz, it is only reasonable that you attribute his immediate success to the same duo.

On another note, seems entire day will be washed out now. Burge's weather predictions as good as his cricket predictions, eh?

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Agarwal, on the other hand, is 29 years old and has 7 years of FC experience, along with having been part of the U19 setup prior to that. As you say, you can't expect Shastri and co. overhaul his technique at this stage. Minor tweaks sure, but most of the coaching Agarwal should expect to receive at this level will be around mindset/gameplan rather than technique.
All about his new backlift IMO. I went and took a look at his debut fifty from two years. Backlift's obviously short against Lyon, but even against the quick stuff it's nowhere as exaggerated as the baseball-style stance he has currently. Not sure when it crept into his game but if it was a horses-for-courses thing to maximize his T20 potential, someone should have told him to reel it back in before the Tests..

cnerd123

likes this
All about his new backlift IMO. I went and took a look at his debut fifty from two years. Backlift's obviously short against Lyon, but even against the quick stuff it's nowhere as exaggerated as the baseball-style stance he has currently. Not sure when it crept into his game but if it was a horses-for-courses thing to maximize his T20 potential, someone should have told him to reel it back in before the Tests..

I remember Burgey here telling me to crank my backlift higher when he saw a vid of me batting in the nets

Yet another example of how he's always wrong about everything

Kraken

State Captain
Mayank came in and immediately took to test cricket like a fish to water. If you are gonna blame his failures now on Virat and Shaz, it is only reasonable that you attribute his immediate success to the same duo.

On another note, seems entire day will be washed out now. Burge's weather predictions as good as his cricket predictions, eh?

covers coming off lol. hasn't rained at mine (30 mins from ground) for over an hour

edit: ooop inspection again in 15

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I'm amazed he didn't change it one bit between Tests. Fast pitches, fast bowlers, how in the world is that blade coming down in time? You wouldn't think it's a huge technical change to make. Instinctual perhaps; maybe he thought it would compromise his timing or something, beats me.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

The height of his backlift is nowhere near as big a problem as the fact it's so open-faced.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well you can't really praise the duo for something someone does at arrival. But if he's regressed under them, then yeah some blame definitely belongs there. Even if not a lot.