• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at the SCG, Sydney, 7 Jan - 11 Jan 2021

cnerd123

likes this
Kohli and Shastri individually are fine, but combined seemingly bring the worse out of each other in terms of tactics/selections/philosophies.

To their credit they have built a team atmosphere that seems very healthy - there has been next to no scandals or dressing room disputes within the side during their leadership, several new players have joined the team and done well, and several players have raised their game to a new level during this time as well. I think they deserve credit for that. We've seen what a bad dressing room culture can do to a team's on field performances.

But man they make some bad selections at times, and have some weird strategies on the field.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What is the point of being God when you win only bilateral series ?
I know many people who hate him and feel he has made Indian ODI/T20 team like RCB.
Well, he can be a substandard god in the same way Shri is one.

He's pushes his team in red ball cricket tho...There are better strategists in the Indian setup...but he lifts his mates up by their undiesss....wedgies.

sunilz

International Regular
Kohli and Shastri individually are fine, but combined seemingly bring the worse out of each other in terms of tactics/selections/philosophies.

To their credit they have built a team atmosphere that seems very healthy - there has been next to no scandals or dressing room disputes within the side during their leadership, several new players have joined the team and done well, and several players have raised their game to a new level during this time as well. I think they deserve credit for that. We've seen what a bad dressing room culture can do to a team's on field performances.

But man they make some bad selections at times, and have some weird strategies on the field.
What ?
Kohli and Shastri have completely destroyed India's test batting particularly overseas .
We couldn't chase 200 twice in Eng/SA.
On top of that we got dismissed for 36 at Adelaide. I haven't even mentioned NZ tour.
Shaw and Agrawal both have regressed. What is our coaching staff doing?
Someone needs to take the blame for all of this.

vcs

We weren't even getting into those positions before Kohli took over. Dhoni was getting us innings hammerings with us conceding 500 on a regulatory basis.

The Kohli-Shastri nexus isn't perfect - far from it - and it may be time for a replacement (though I'm not sure there's any decent candidate in the regular Test XI ATM), but we can say for sure that they have taken Indian cricket forward as a whole.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Virat as captain in tests has been excellent. His team selection is ridiculously bad at times and there are questionable choices here and there but he has been, by far, one of the most successful captains of all time for India and is also responsible for blooding many of our current match winners.

You cant just blame every failure on the captain and then say every success is due to something else.

Gob

International Coach
I love ravi. He is one of those no nonsense type of guy who makes hard and fast decisions. They may not be right but they are fast like a trace a bullet

Gob

International Coach
Virat as captain in tests has been excellent. His team selection is ridiculously bad at times and there are questionable choices here and there but he has been, by far, one of the most successful captains of all time for India and is also responsible for blooding many of our current match winners.

You cant just blame every failure on the captain and then say every success is due to something else.
Captain is only as good as his team

Gob

International Coach

It has also been 13 years since this happened. Unquestionably one of the greatest moments in the history of the game. Time stood still

Window

U19 Debutant
It's not easy to attribute success or failure to just the captain/coach. There are so many other factors at play. Dhoni was handed an ATG but ageing batting line up nearing the end of their career, with bowling unit lead by an injury prone Zaheer Khan approaching the end of his career as well. Kohli's team has benefited greatly from the arrival of Bumrah (and Shami). Credit to Kohli for fast tracking Bumrah's debut but I would imagine much of the talent stock depends on management of the domestic games. I don't know enough about how much of a role captains have in devising strategies vs coaching and support research staff to comment on that aspect of the game.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ajinkya "It's challenging when life in Sydney is completely normal, not complaining tho" Rahane

He's cooked. What's wrong with these entitled pricks?

Last edited:

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Ajinkya "It's challenging when life in Sydney is completely normal, not complaining tho" Rahane

A ***** thing to say for sure. Guy's supposed to be a black belt at Karate too.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member

tbf to him, from the article:
"For the teams to get an exemption to travel to Brisbane, they will have to have stayed in their hotels and the SCG throughout the duration of this Test."

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tbf to him, from the article:
"For the teams to get an exemption to travel to Brisbane, they will have to have stayed in their hotels and the SCG throughout the duration of this Test."
Absolute sook

Burgey

TBF, I don't blame him for marveling at what we have here in the Jewel of the South Pacific.