• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at the SCG, Sydney, 7 Jan - 11 Jan 2021

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
flem says the most important thing here with the bouncer debate; that by and large bouncers to tailenders allows the partnership to go on longer and score more runs and eat more time up than if you just hurl the ball at the stumps six times in an over, most of the time
He said that was true of total Martin-standard players. I think he's right but there aren't many of those. I do genuinely think getting up in the grill of players like Shami and Yadav for a few balls an over is likely to get them out quicker and/or for lower scores.

Shady Slim

International Coach
He said that was true of total Martin-standard players. I think he's right but there aren't many of those. I do genuinely think getting up in the grill of players like Shami and Yadav for a few balls an over is likely to get them out quicker and/or for lower scores.
i'm inclined to by and large disagree but i'm also not anti-bouncers at the tail, i just don't think it's the best way to get them out necessarily.

people getting in a tizzy about bowling bouncers at the tail as if it's some great offense are bonafide weenies

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Yeah
That aberration was the test just played tbh.

Says a bit about India's mindset that they have people in the camp making clandestine leaks regarding quarantine protocols. Tells us they're mentally cooked, pretty much. Which I can get - they got up after Adelaide in the face of injury, unavailability and humiliation following a diabiolical performance. You can't do that with a weakened side over and over. They've had their moment, which is to their credit tbh, given everything that's happened.

Expect this to be comfortably 3-1 to Aus from here, with big margins. India looking for a ticket home asap. They've pretty much cashed in their psychological chips.
As much a bait this post this, I have to agree overall with this (Oh the shame).

Also the leg side strangling theory India has used in last two tests have run its course (especially in regards to surprise factor) and I am sure Aussie batsmen should do adjustments to counter it.

India have lost five or six of their top shelf players so it will be honorable if they compete well in next two matches and lose. They have already earned their respect despite the trying circumstances, not limited to the six month old covid bubble.

I sincerely hope Shitty Sharma and Co. Steals a late night outing and hug a few passerbyes and the Brisbane test gets called off as a result.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah

As much a bait this post this, I have to agree overall with this (Oh the shame).

Also the leg side strangling theory India has used in last two tests have run its course (especially in regards to surprise factor) and I am sure Aussie batsmen should do adjustments to counter it.

India have lost five or six of their top shelf players so it will be honorable if they compete well in next two matches and lose. They have already earned their respect despite the trying circumstances, not limited to the six month old covid bubble.

I sincerely hope ****ty Sharma and Co. Steals a late night outing and hug a few passerbyes and the Brisbane test gets called off as a result.
Senile Sentry with a surprisingly prescient post - broken clock and all that.

The only point I would disagree with is the contention that India has earned respect.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
That aberration was the test just played tbh.

Says a bit about India's mindset that they have people in the camp making clandestine leaks regarding quarantine protocols. Tells us they're mentally cooked, pretty much. Which I can get - they got up after Adelaide in the face of injury, unavailability and humiliation following a diabiolical performance. You can't do that with a weakened side over and over. They've had their moment, which is to their credit tbh, given everything that's happened.

Expect this to be comfortably 3-1 to Aus from here, with big margins. India looking for a ticket home asap. They've pretty much cashed in their psychological chips.
I expect this to be as true as the rest of your predictions on this series so far. :p

And classic irony of the post itself proving the point wrong. :laugh:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
i'm inclined to by and large disagree but i'm also not anti-bouncers at the tail, i just don't think it's the best way to get them out necessarily.

people getting in a tizzy about bowling bouncers at the tail as if it's some great offense are bonafide weenies
This shocking lack of nous on the bouncer debate shows why it is such a difficult issue, tbh. Did you feel this way about concussion subs a few years ago too? People's health matters and that is the reason the debate is going on. I agree it is almost impossible to police in any fair manner and hence I feel the focus should move on to the protective equipment and their design, starting out with the helmets like Spark pointed out.

People can get dropped for poor technique but their lives should not be endangered coz they were a fraction of a second late in a sport. Accidents happen in every sport but **** me, if we cant take it seriously enough to have a rational discussion on it....

Shady Slim

International Coach
i'm predicting a small aus win in sydney and a big aus win at the gabba. india's put an objectively valiant fight up, ashwin's been the better spinner by far and bumrah is an exceptional bowler. however, india's had a penchant all series for losing their last five wickets for next to no runs and i feel that'll catch them big in the next two tests if australia can dig up any semblance of batting form.

Reactions: vcs

Daemon

We've reached a point now where an XI of the injured players + rest could beat the actual XI

Sharma
Gill
Pujara
Rahane
Vihari
Pant
Jadeja
Ashwin
Saini/Nattu/Thakur
Bumrah
Siraj

vs

Shaw
Agarwal
Kohli
Rahul
Random middle order bat
Saha
Pandya
Kuldeep
Ishant
Yadav
Shami

ParwazHaiJunoon

First Class Debutant
Very interesting piece this, by Monga -

Proper technique is a must. And there are lessons to be learnt from how batsmen of the pre-helmet era negotiated short balls.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
We've reached a point now where an XI of the injured players + rest could beat the actual XI

Sharma
Gill
Pujara
Rahane
Vihari
Pant
Jadeja
Ashwin
Saini/Nattu/Thakur
Bumrah
Siraj

vs

Shaw
Agarwal
Kohli
Rahul
Random middle order bat
Saha
Pandya
Kuldeep
Ishant
Yadav
Shami

*Cries in Karun Nair*

Burgey

So Rohit has been confirmed as opener for the next Test

Zzz
Does this mean Vihari is staying in the middle order? Rate him pretty highly tbh, even though he hasn't done much this series so far apart from nearly top scoring in the second dig in Adelaide.

Shady Slim

International Coach
This shocking lack of nous on the bouncer debate shows why it is such a difficult issue, tbh. Did you feel this way about concussion subs a few years ago too? People's health matters and that is the reason the debate is going on. I agree it is almost impossible to police in any fair manner and hence I feel the focus should move on to the protective equipment and their design, starting out with the helmets like Spark pointed out.

People can get dropped for poor technique but their lives should not be endangered coz they were a fraction of a second late in a sport. Accidents happen in every sport but **** me, if we cant take it seriously enough to have a rational discussion on it....
nah i'm all for concussion subs, sports concussions are a serious issue and it's brilliant that the published research has lined up with what the scientific community has expected for years now

but i just can't rationalise suggesting that we sheath a legitimate weapon in the bowler's armory (and one that, at that, is accepted as part of the game), because of the danger that it may pose to a tailender, who has an option, as pointed out by flem, to retire if he feels unsafe. i feel you cannot ban it for some bats and not for others; if it were to be policed, i feel the only legitimate way to do so were by an honour system, whereby bowlers have chosen not to bowl to each other. but from a game theory pov all that enlivens is a bouncer barrage in the fourth innings! totally agree with you that we should always be trying to fortify protections and make the gear better for batsmen, to improve the safety outcomes, but mandating that bowlers don't bowl bouncers to each other? i just can't find a way to justify that

cnerd123

likes this
Does this mean Vihari is staying in the middle order? Rate him pretty highly tbh, even though he hasn't done much this series so far apart from nearly top scoring in the second dig in Adelaide.
Yea seems like its a straight swap with Agarwal. Natranjan probably coming in for Umesh, rest of the XI unchanged

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah this is definitely the right call from India.

Vihari is a decidedly better bat than Agarwal, and Rohit as opener has far less baggage than Rohit as a middle order bat.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Yeah and makes sense. He has not looked completely out of sorts and Sydney might be the ground he might really get that chance to get a big score

Rohit cannot expect to walk in and displace Vihary.

Shady Slim

International Coach
yeah vihari has looked good. i said it before, but him coming in and eating up balls in melbourne really set the table for jadeja and rahane to make hay while the sun shined and the bowlers were really fatigued. would be a great injustice to drop him