• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at the SCG, Sydney, 7 Jan - 11 Jan 2021

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I don't think they set out to hurt them, but at the same time they do seem to have little to no regard to should it actually happen. I don't really know how I feel about this issue tbh, but bouncing the Martins, Chahals and Bumrahs of the world seems like it may be a bit too much.
I agree when it comes to blokes who look like they barely know which end of the bat to hold (although that's not Bumrah). From a bowler's point of view, I think the tailender is honour bound to get out as quickly as possible. If they have the temerity to stay in for longer than 6 balls, it's only fair the bowler tests their resolve by putting one up their nose. Chris Martin was one of the most honourable tailenders to ever play the game.

Spark

Global Moderator
Fast bowlers bouncing each other is difficult to manage. If you are a decent batsman, like Stokes, Pandya, CdG or even Cummins, then ideally it's best to have some sort of recognition that you shouldn't be bowling bouncers at Rabada just because he bowled you some. The most extreme example of this being the famous Sobers-Lillee story.

But, messy.
Then the tail-end batsmen should also have the courtesy to not sticking around and scoring valuable runs/putting together partnerships. Goes both ways.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Then the tail-end batsmen should also have the courtesy to not sticking around and scoring valuable runs/putting together partnerships. Goes both ways.
Sure, I could see this if the partnership has gone beyond a decent number of runs, say 10 even. But not at the beginning.

But that's just me and it's not something that I would want to enforce in any way.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Indeed

Honestly, I think it’d ruin the game completely to begin policing shorter length deliveries

the way pucovski got hit in the Australia A game was an example of the worst technique against the short ball

Spark

Global Moderator
Sure, I could see this if the partnership has gone beyond a decent number of runs, say 10 even. But not at the beginning.

But that's just me and it's not something that I would want to enforce in any way.
What self-respecting professional sportsman would give their opponents a free head start? Bowl to them on 0 how you would bowl to them on 10.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Finally, we might see some Aussie fight :)

Tim Paine: I think there's a bit of tension starting to boil under the surface with unnamed sources coming out from their camp saying where they want to play the fourth Test and where they don't want to go. I think it's starting to grind a few people, so we'll see how it goes."

Senile Sentry

International Debutant

Tim Paine: I think there's a bit of tension starting to boil under the surface with unnamed sources coming out from their camp saying where they want to play the fourth Test and where they don't want to go. I think it's starting to grind a few people, so we'll see how it goes."
Good to see Paine moving on from the gigantic moan about DRS

aussie tragic

International Captain
I hope Green does something special in this Test.

Kyle Jamieson with 36 wkts in 6 tests and a batting average of 56 is making our giant allrounder look meek in comparison.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I agree when it comes to blokes who look like they barely know which end of the bat to hold (although that's not Bumrah). From a bowler's point of view, I think the tailender is honour bound to get out as quickly as possible. If they have the temerity to stay in for longer than 6 balls, it's only fair the bowler tests their resolve by putting one up their nose. Chris Martin was one of the most honourable tailenders to ever play the game.
Figures coz the current Aussie team have no honor left in them, then. :ph34r:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Might be in for Perth 2008 level surprise then. :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
On the bouncer debate, I think the solution really is to get better protective equipment. It will also save some bowlers from not being at their best because they genuinely feel sorry for some of the batters, while someone else maybe more successful simply because they dont care. The lesser grey area, the better for all involved. And that can only be achieved with much better protection equipment.

Shady Slim

International Coach
flem says the most important thing here with the bouncer debate; that by and large bouncers to tailenders allows the partnership to go on longer and score more runs and eat more time up than if you just hurl the ball at the stumps six times in an over, most of the time

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Might be in for Perth 2008 level surprise then. :)
That aberration was the test just played tbh.

Says a bit about India's mindset that they have people in the camp making clandestine leaks regarding quarantine protocols. Tells us they're mentally cooked, pretty much. Which I can get - they got up after Adelaide in the face of injury, unavailability and humiliation following a diabiolical performance. You can't do that with a weakened side over and over. They've had their moment, which is to their credit tbh, given everything that's happened.

Expect this to be comfortably 3-1 to Aus from here, with big margins. India looking for a ticket home asap. They've pretty much cashed in their psychological chips.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
flem says the most important thing here with the bouncer debate; that by and large bouncers to tailenders allows the partnership to go on longer and score more runs and eat more time up than if you just hurl the ball at the stumps six times in an over, most of the time
Alex Tudor disagrees with this post.