• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India's Tour of Australia 2020/21 - General discussion

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
it looked like most Indian batsmen had taken it slightly easy once we got the lead
Yeah it wasn't an easy deck to bat on, but there seemed an element of the lead being thought of as immense. it was decent in the context of the game, but hardly insurmountable. I thought Aus needed 4 wickets on the third morning to get back to something approaching even. 5 down for a lead of about 130 odd at lunch would have been a great morning for them. They couldn't have dreamed up what came about.

Burgey

Also, Brett Lee is the most cringeworthy human on the planet. Worse than Warne even. Talk about knowing where your bread is buttered. His comments are worse than peak Michael Holding during an English Summer.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha Lee is an odd one. Always had the impression of him being quite mild-mannered and affable when playing, but he doesn't come across well. Super cringe whenever he's on

Shady Slim

International Coach
It's a good post. Still, though, the basic point that you aren't just batting mindlessly but you should have some concrete idea of what you're trying to achieve -- how you're going to try and score, what risks are reasonable to take and not reasonable to take, how you're going to counter the likely ways the bowlers are going to target you -- is entirely correct. Even if the answers to those questions you come up with aren't optimal, having an idea of what you're going to do, and sticking to it, is a massive improvement over the alternative. Optimisation is less important than clarity of thought, but I guess "clarity of thought" and "knowing what you're doing" doesn't sound good in sports psychologist lingo as "intent".

It actually goes back to the quick singles discussion the other day too. If you can demonstrate that you can still score runs with little risk (well, other than comedy run outs), then the bowlers will have to try something else to encourage you to take risks, and the "something else" they come up with almost certainly be less effective than what they originally had in mind for a whole range of reasons.
chipping in to a discussion from two days ago this is spot on

what aus does so well with the bat in aus (well aside from prepare fast bouncy roads that our bats have no trouble with and foreign bowlers from not-SA can not do anything on) is get those quick drop and run singles, which makes the bowler drop his head in frustration and releases the pressure valve on that end entirely

and

likewise that's a thing overseas batsmen seem not to master - that ability to break a maiden, and turn it in to an over of one or two runs from quick drop and run singles square of the wicket

aus does a great job of preventing this in the field by never being caught napping, and maintaining a team of guys with rifles for throwing arms. all it takes is the guy at backward square with his head in the clouds for one ball to completely relieve the pressure on the batting team, and there is, i would say, no team who's better at exploiting this than the aussies. and that's the sort of "intent" you'd like to see your guys practicing.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Also, Brett Lee is the most cringeworthy human on the planet. Worse than Warne even. Talk about knowing where your bread is buttered. His comments are worse than peak Michael Holding during an English Summer.
Hurts me because I loved him as a cricketer, but he is awful in the commentary box. Hussey too.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Hussey is kinda like that awkward but nice uncle who comes over for Christmas, and tries to interject himself into the conservation by asking how many runs you've scored in the last calendar year and the ball-by-ball breakdown. Means well but just a bit try hard

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
At one point during the summer he was analysing Bumrah's fast bowling, and saying things that Bumrah could change.

Mate, Bumrah is a better bowler than you in every format.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
At one point during the summer he was analysing Bumrah's fast bowling, and saying things that Bumrah could change.

Mate, Bumrah is a better bowler than you in every format.
That maybe true but sometimes a person maybe a better analyst/coach than a player. Not saying Brett Lee is, but seems a strange one to take a shot at, funny as it was. :)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Just saw Allan Border's take on the lack of 'heat' between the teams due to the IPL. I agree with him. I wanna see some heat.

Also, 5-match test series is something I want between these teams.
AB has had his one **** take of the 21st century with the call for Aus to declare it's first innings at 6/120 odd or whatever it was
5 match series - yes. Heat? No thanks. It's so stupid. No one wants 2008 again. One thing that IPL has done is made stupid **** like that way less likely. It took the joy out of the cricket and it became all about morons and their jingoism.

This is a wonderful series. Why the **** would you ruin it?

DriveClub

International Regular
5 match series - yes. Heat? No thanks. It's so stupid. No one wants 2008 again. One thing that IPL has done is made stupid **** like that way less likely. It took the joy out of the cricket and it became all about morons and their jingoism.

This is a wonderful series. Why the **** would you ruin it?
Because Australian Captain is the 2nd most important job in the country after Prime Minister. You have to go to war and do mental disintegration and Paine has to become a commando and save hostiles from enemies.

trundler

Because Australian Captain is the 2nd most important job in the country after Prime Minister. You have to go to war and do mental disintegration and Paine has to become a commando and save hostiles from enemies.
I have never seen a higher concentration of drivel in a post before. Bravo.