• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Test, Aus vs India, Adelaide oval 17th-21st December

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
it’s got less to do with fielders and bowlers ****ing around than it does batsmen changing gloves, bitching about a 40 metre wide sightscreen etc.

The fact that generally speaking more runs arescored is also a factor. I’d rather see 8/300 (82-85 overs) than 3/180 (112) any day, which is what cricket in the 50s and 60s was.

I’ve lost count of the number of times I hear tv or radio commentators complaining about lost overs at the end of a day over the sound of a capacity crowd going nuts because there’s been 300 runs/ 10+ wickets taken in a day. It’s cringe.
OK, maybe that's it too, so the onus falls on batsmen to get the **** on with it as well. I'm sure it is a factor with runs scored sometimes, although it ain't today and it quite often isn't either. Not sure we need to compare now to the 50s/60s and the 3/180 scenario...I'd rather see all out for 330 off 88 or so overs, 90 if possible.

But yeah, commentators have to piss on about something. Or they end up analysing boxing bouts in the breaks.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
To address the over-rates thing, standing around dumbly, minuscule field adjustments and the like are annoying, and a lot of the fussing around that seems to cause it is unnecessary. Furthermore, with slow over-rates, one gets less cricket. You can point to the scoring rates of the past to say cricket has quickened up, but when over-rates were higher, it didn't matter so much. Consequently, people would be less likely to scoring at 1.7 'boring'—which it can be if it's because the match is at the MCG rather than because of good bowling—and might commit more to watching it (obviously, this is for 'faster, more intense' crowd that boards are always trying to drag in). Cricket will definitely not lose out for having more play, and I don't think you need to bowl part-timers in order to do so.

To put it another way, if people still bowled at twenty overs an hour, then Twenty20 could serve as the two-hour format the ECB wants and they wouldn't have to make further fools of themselves.

DriveClub

International Regular
To address the over-rates thing, standing around dumbly, minuscule field adjustments and the like are annoying, and a lot of the fussing around that seems to cause it is unnecessary. Furthermore, with slow over-rates, one gets less cricket. You can point to the scoring rates of the past to say cricket has quickened up, but when over-rates were higher, it didn't matter so much. Consequently, people would be less likely to scoring at 1.7 'boring'—which it can be if it's because the match is at the MCG rather than because of good bowling—and might commit more to watching it (obviously, this is for 'faster, more intense' crowd that boards are always trying to drag in). Cricket will definitely not lose out for having more play, and I don't think you need to bowl part-timers in order to do so.

To put it another way, if people still bowled at twenty overs an hour, then Twenty20 could serve as the two-hour format the ECB wants and they wouldn't have to make further fools of themselves.
T20 is the format likely to have the slowest over rate with boundaries being smacked every over

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can’t recall Lyon bowling as threatening a day one spell as this in Australia before.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
20 overs an hour? What is this, the 1920s with two spinners opening the bowling? Come on ffs

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can we all consider the fact that the normal human being sees cricket for the despicably, disgustingly and needlessly long sport that it is. And that fitting even more cricket into a day's play is dangerous?

DriveClub

International Regular
Excuses. It still has a lot of the same problems that are not time taken up by fetching the ball from the boundary.
It's just common sense, format that's likely to have lowest dot ball percentage will have the slowest over rate not taking into account external factors.

cnerd123

likes this
It's just common sense, format that's likely to have lowest dot ball percentage will have the slowest over rate not taking into account external factors.
Also every fall of wicket takes time out of the game. In limited overs, particularly T20, the umpires give the fielding side 1 minute good cause for the 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th wickets IIRC, because taking more wickets actually slows down your over-rate. Wickets (generally) don't fall as quickly in Tests.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can we talk about the fact that Rahane has now scored 14 runs, most of which are against Lyon.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Rahane not exactly set like a brick but legit looks less bothered by Lyon than Pujara which is not something I expected.