• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India's Tour of Australia 2020/21 - General discussion

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
the CI report said it was between Gill and Shaw for one opener spot, and although BCCI do some weird **** i don't think they're very keen on forcing a makeshift opener in Straya
You never know with Kohli/Shastri, as they go for real left-field selections, but I'd be gobsmacked if they go with Shaw. He has no form and had that long injury break. His time will come very soon, but imo be wrong to select him now

aussie tragic

International Captain
OP says it's the first Test but who needs to read that
Schedule not locked in yet. Currently being reported as most likely:

"The first Test will be a pink-ball Test in Adelaide, followed by matches at the MCG, SCG and in Brisbane"

The reason for change is that Qld wouldn't allow India (or IPL returning Aussies) to train while in 14 day quarantine. NSW stepped up and let them in and able to train so now ODI's and T20's will be played in NSW and ACT before the Tests

Latest proposed schedule explained here

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
^Latest schedule

27 Nov - Sydney - 1st ODI
29 Nov - Sydney - 2nd ODI
1 Dec - Canberra - 3rd ODI

4 Dec - Canberra - 1st T20
6 Dec - Sydney - 2nd T20
8 Dec - Sydney - 3rd T20

17-21 Dec - Adelaide (d/n) - 1st Test
26-30 Dec - Melbourne * - 2nd Test
7-11 Jan - Sydney - 3rd Test
15-19 Jan - Brisbane - 4th Test

* Adelaide back-up venue for Boxing day Test

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Rahane is vc, so assuming he's playing the first test, and viharu has done well enough t retain his spot. Do they have gill or shaw partnering with agarwal at the top though?

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
1.Agarwal
2.Gill
3.Pujara
4.Kohli
5.rahane
6.Viharu
7.Pant
8.Ashwin/Jadeja
9.Umesh
10.Shami
11.Bumrah

Will probably be the team for first test, ashwin started over jadeja last time and jadeja's bowling has been terrible in the ipl, not the same format but it's the only thing Indian selectors have to go on while differentiating the two.

Umesh's bowling isn't suited for aus conditions but still think India will go with him as a third seamer.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Umesh will likely struggle, but I’m not convinced on Saini/Siraj in Tests either. At least nostrils has a fiver in Australia.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Also what's up with no pant in the t20 squad? He's not been great this ipl but Sampson hasn't done we'll enough to uproot pant, he's still way too inconsistent for international level.

Burgey

Umesh will likely struggle, but I’m not convinced on Saini/Siraj in Tests either. At least nostrils has a fiver in Australia.
I think he's suffered here in the past from having wrong fields set for him tbh. But he's one of my faves so I'm a bit biased towards giving him the BOD

TheJediBrah

Also what's up with no pant in the t20 squad? He's not been great this ipl but Sampson hasn't done we'll enough to uproot pant, he's still way too inconsistent for international level.
Apparently he's too fat. Or not fat enough.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think he's suffered here in the past from having wrong fields set for him tbh. But he's one of my faves so I'm a bit biased towards giving him the BOD
Kinda hard for the captain to set a right field if the bowler's main delivery is the long hop, like at Brisbane in '14.

Burgey

Yeah that's one test where he bowled badly.

If your method is to pitch it up, in Aus you need your mid off and mid on straight and deep. The number of times you see visiting sides with their mid off and mid on wide and pretty close is a joke. If your MO is to pitch it up and try to swing it, there's zero incentive to do it unless you've got the right field.

Burgey

Also, have a lazy $50 on Rahane making 350 plus for the series. He's a spud, but sometimes spuds attack. Got a feeling he's going to do decently this test series. I don't know why, I don't rate him and hope it doesn't happen but just got a buzz it might.

OverratedSanity

Kinda hard for the captain to set a right field if the bowler's main delivery is the long hop, like at Brisbane in '14.
Thats the series where Dhoni was setting 7-2 legside fields at times tbf. Not sure if he did it for damage limitation because he knew the bowlers were rubbish or if Umesh just bowled to the field he was given and legitimately thought a long hop might no longer be a terrible delivery.

Burgey

Just emailed the SCG members to confirm ticketing arrangements for the ODIs, and they responded saying CA has not yet confirmed the scheduling arrangements yet, which I thought was itstl. I realize things can change with the bug, but you'd think they would have a set schedule pending that by now.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Also, have a lazy $50 on Rahane making 350 plus for the series. He's a spud, but sometimes spuds attack. Got a feeling he's going to do decently this test series. I don't know why, I don't rate him and hope it doesn't happen but just got a buzz it might.
You are just looking for ways to feel happy either way, its alright. :p

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah that's one test where he bowled badly.

If your method is to pitch it up, in Aus you need your mid off and mid on straight and deep. The number of times you see visiting sides with their mid off and mid on wide and pretty close is a joke. If your MO is to pitch it up and try to swing it, there's zero incentive to do it unless you've got the right field.
Its not just though.. His action lends itself to leg side half volleys every so often, which is unforgivable in 'straya.. In India, when your other "reverse swing high speed hit the stumps off hard lengths and get the ball to skid" wil work, the leg side half volley doesn't matter so much, esp. coz if you do go for a few, the captain can juz take you off and have Ash and Jaddu bowl in tandem and strangle the runs anyways. Not quite the same overseas. I would rather not play him but if he does play, I guess Adelaide D/N might end up suiting him a bit if he can stay on the offstump and pitch it up a bit more.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
@Burgey my post #23 explains why. BCCI still to approve the recently revised schedule
They want a practice game before the boxing day test.... but the dates are not working out, I guess. That is the main hold up. They want a D/N practice game before the Adelaide test ( a 4 dayer) and a day practice game before the Boxing DAy test. which would basically move the boxing day test by 3 days to Dec 30 and end up being a new years' test.

But I can see why BCCI would want our boys to play the practice game BEFORE the next set of tests rather than in between, esp. since pink ball to red ball does seem like a big difference.