• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Records and Milestones thread

aussie tragic

International Captain
Lara, Tendulker and Sangakkara all passed 10,000 runs in their 195th innings. Are there any other significant milestones some greats have equaled like this one?

Note: Ponting did it in 196 innings

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Not trying to knock Kohli’s amazing record, but the missing months aren’t making much difference - he’s played more international matches than anyone else in that time.
That is a fair point. He would have scored more runs though in a world where IPL didn't exist, but that could be said about any player.

h_hurricane

Lara, Tendulker and Sangakkara all passed 10,000 runs in their 195th innings. Are there any other significant milestones some greats have equaled like this one?

Note: Ponting did it in 196 innings
Smith needs to score under 45 runs per innings until 10K to break this record, smh..

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't think you can simply clump together the number of innings Kohli played and assume its not impressive to basically score 10K runs in just 4 years. Remember how many of those are T20I innings. And if someone can get the breakdown of the number of innings other batsmen have played in the same time, it will be more useful. To equate it with Border's 10K is just laughable.

h_hurricane

Here is what Kohli's overall record looks in this 4 year period.

186 innings, 37 not outs, 10603 runs @ 71.16.

At least one cricketer(Joe Root) has played more innings than him in this period.

192 innings, 21 not outs, 8390 runs @ 49.06.

Damn, it looks awesome..

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Also, you need to work out the differences coz a T20 innings is giving you so much lesser opportunity to get a score than an ODI and usually, an ODI offers you less scope for a score than a test innings even as a #3 or #4. Like I said, its juz bonkers to equate a record like this with Border's 10K.

Coronis

International Coach
Also, you need to work out the differences coz a T20 innings is giving you so much lesser opportunity to get a score than an ODI and usually, an ODI offers you less scope for a score than a test innings even as a #3 or #4. Like I said, its juz bonkers to equate a record like this with Border's 10K.
Agreed. Border’s 10K was far more impressive.

Vashir

Cricket Spectator
I don't think you can simply clump together the number of innings Kohli played and assume its not impressive to basically score 10K runs in just 4 years. Remember how many of those are T20I innings. And if someone can get the breakdown of the number of innings other batsmen have played in the same time, it will be more useful. To equate it with Border's 10K is just laughable.
Really impressive this guy. If I followed sine from the bigginx, would h've made lot of profit on...

Victor Ian

International Coach
I didnt read any comparison. Just the point that playing well, and playing lots equals lots of runs. Well played Kohli, though!

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
All I meant with the comparison to Border's 10k was that it's extremely impressive but ultimately it's not that meaningful.

SeamUp

International Coach
Dwaine Pretorius received Test crickets 3000th cap.

Test Cap #1000: Len Maddocks (1954)
Test Cap #2000: Sherwin Campbell (1995)
Test Cap #3000: Dwaine Pretorious (2019)