• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Records and Milestones thread

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Need I remind you that Australia won in 95 in the West Indies? The West Indies had Lara and Richardson, Ambrose and Walsh. Four of the guys who would be in the 75-95 side. Australia only had Waugh, Warne and McGrath
Who's picking Walsh ahead of Marshall/Garner/Ambrose/Holding? It's not even obvious he's first reserve with Roberts/Bishop/Croft also available.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Who's picking Walsh ahead of Marshall/Garner/Ambrose/Holding? It's not even obvious he's first reserve with Roberts/Bishop/Croft also available.
Fair call. My main point was that the West Indies in 1995 were far from being a poor team. They were at the end of their dominance but still had some great players.

stephen

The Windies in the 1980s were ridiculously dominant but like the Aussies of the early 00s, their dominance was probably exaggerated by the lack of other great sides of the time.

The early 00s Aussies really only had South Africa who were in the same ball park as them (And India at home of course). India never had a good enough bowling side away from home, England were garbage except for one brief home series where the stars aligned, Sri Lanka and Pakistan were woeful in Australia and not good enough at home. The West Indies had fallen off a cliff and New Zealand hasn't been competitive against Australia since Hadlee had retired.

The 80s Windies had few opponents who could field more than one great player. For England it was Botham, Australia had Border, India had Gavaskar and New Zealand Hadlee. Pakistan had a strong team in the era with Imran and Wasim. South Africa weren't even in the game and Sri Lanka were minnows.

In both sides any weaknesses were covered by simply being way better than everyone else out there at the time, which sounds obvious, but it's difficult to say what would have happened if both sides had emerged at the same time.

The great West Indies sides went completely untested against quality spin. The great Australian sides spent most of their time at the top playing in relatively flat wickets, with few genuinely great pace bowlers around. A five test series between the two would be mouth watering (especially if there were no over rate restrictions).

Victor Ian

International Coach
Over rates would not be a issue in such a series. Youd just cop the fines and rotate 'captaincy' so no one missed a game.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Circa 1994/1995 was such a competitive time in world cricket. RSA, Pakistan, Australia & the Windies all had a big claim for being the best team in the world.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Sick of the constant chipping away of Australian records and legacies by a bloc of Indian posters so I’m gonna call it as I see it. How’s that sound?
Try taking a break from the forum if you are so sick. That's no excuse for your sick posting. I mean you are triggered because Indian posters did not post about a record of an Australian player. You OK?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You're doing the same thing as he is by applying rules in one era to teams that played in another and claiming vast superiority. He's talking about over rates and you're talking about bouncer restrictions and protective equipment.

Slifer

International Captain
But over rates are moot because in a hypothetical matchup between wi and oz , as stated b4 wi will just pay the fine and move on lol. But your point is noted.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Try taking a break from the forum if you are so sick. That's no excuse for your sick posting. I mean you are triggered because Indian posters did not post about a record of an Australian player. You OK?
Cheers, will do. Catch you later ??

Victor Ian

International Coach
I think Australia would have a harder time adjusting to the 80s than the Windies would adjusting to the noughties. Just a gut feel based on watching Border taking them on and noting the number of + 50 avering batsmen of the later era. That said, id love to see what kind of figures McGrath would have had in the 80s.

Starfighter

But over rates are moot because in a hypothetical matchup between wi and oz , as stated b4 wi will just pay the fine and move on lol. But your point is noted.
They won't want to pay the fine after a while. You need to get money to buy food to eat, and I'm well aware that some WI cricketers were not on good pay a long time. Don't forget that if the rules as they were over the past few years were applied then they would easily have three or four people who had captained being banned for a year due to major over-rate offences. That'll really help team stability and the batting lineup.

Slifer

International Captain
This over rate thing is really overblown. It began in the 90s and even then, wi played 4 pacemen and got through their overs just fine. And FWIW, very few teams are going to last that many overs vs the 80s attacks either way.

stephen

This over rate thing is really overblown. It began in the 90s and even then, wi played 4 pacemen and got through their overs just fine. And FWIW, very few teams are going to last that many overs vs the 80s attacks either way.
That's because Hooper bowled a decent chunk of overs in that era.

You would imagine that the best overall batting lineup in 50 years would last 90 overs most of the time, even against the Windies greats.

stephen

I think Australia would have a harder time adjusting to the 80s than the Windies would adjusting to the noughties. Just a gut feel based on watching Border taking them on and noting the number of + 50 avering batsmen of the later era. That said, id love to see what kind of figures McGrath would have had in the 80s.
That's true too. Helmets are a huge game changer. I imagine playing without them would be difficult when you're used to them. Just like modern bowlers aren't as intimidating as those of the past because of helmets.

Slifer

International Captain
Yeah they'd probably last the 90 days on flatter surfaces like Sydney but at the old perth pitch or Sabina I doubt it. On another note, what a waste of talent Carl Hooper was. Was already a magnificent slip fielder but he should've been able to average 45 + with the bat and around 30 or so with the ball....smh