• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Smith v Kohli (test match batting)

the big bambino

International Captain
Thing about both is they seem to have weaknesses that look obvious but ultimately illusory. Smith on his hip. The short ball over off. Whereas you'd think bowlers should be able to tickle Kohli's outside edge more often. Apart from a memorable series by Anderson it hasn't otherwise happened to either to date. Even then Kohli came back against Anderson in the same conditions and played him well. Which probably highlights another similarity between the two. If they have been confronted with a problem they both have solved it. This is a talent not seen too often in cricket I believe.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thing about both is they seem to have weaknesses that look obvious but ultimately illusory. Smith on his hip. The short ball over off. Whereas you'd think bowlers should be able to tickle Kohli's outside edge more often. Apart from a memorable series by Anderson it hasn't otherwise happened to either to date. Even then Kohli came back against Anderson in the same conditions and played him well. Which probably highlights another similarity between the two. If they have been confronted with a problem they both have solved it. This is a talent not seen too often in cricket I believe.
Would call Kohli's issues on off stump illusory tbh. It's a definite weakness (like it is for the majority of batsmen). Kohli got past that in the series last year and did brilliantly through a combination of some minor technical corrections, huge balls and considerable luck. He didn't look undismissable like Smith does when he applies the latest patch.

True that they both clearly make great adjustments though. Kohli had a good masterclass with nasser on this

Last edited:

Victor Ian

International Coach
In the Kohli vs Smith race, Kohli is leading with 7054 for 128 outs at 55.1 runs a piece. Smith has 6973 runs with 108 outs for 64.5. Smith needs 81 runs in 20 not not out innings to be considered Kohli's superior.

Daemon

Worth remembering Kohli had a fair slice of luck in his battles with Anderson. Came out on top but could’ve so easily gone the other way.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I know it has already been said, but Smith can make 20 ducks in a row and still average over 60. Kohli needs over 600 before his next out to be there.

TheJediBrah

Worth remembering Kohli had a fair slice of luck in his battles with Anderson. Came out on top but could’ve so easily gone the other way.
Smith has had plenty of luck too

famous century in Pune wasn't he dropped 4 times

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kohli *seems* to have hard hands, which compound his problems with off side edges, but am pretty sure Smith has hard hands too, it's just that he's not nicking the ball nearly as often

Burgey

Kohli *seems* to have hard hands, which compound his problems with off side edges, but am pretty sure Smith has hard hands too, it's just that he's not nicking the ball nearly as often
This is one of the illusory things imo. I think he has fast hands, but they look like hard hands when they really aren’t. Bit like Steve Waugh in that regard

Burgey

Smith plays really, really late, which is the key to "soft hands". Williamson too obvs.
It’s also why he plays well in England and handles the moving ball. Fmd he made 200 at OT almost entirely off the back dog.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I know it has already been said, but Smith can make 20 ducks in a row and still average over 60. Kohli needs over 600 before his next out to be there.
Bradman could come out of his grave, make 38 ducks and still have a better average than Smith.

On a different note, Smith could make 15 ducks and still have a better average than Hutton !

Adam19

Banned
Smith at the moment. He has to do well in the next series in SA though. I saw a stat somewhere on how these two had done after walking in when the team total was < 50. Smith was way ahead. He's been the better player in those pressure situations. Also, he doesn't have much support from AUS bats most of the time when they play overseas.

SeamUp

International Coach
Probably not the best thread for this but wasn't sure where to put it. Quite amazing even if not unexpected.

Worldwide test batting averages vs balls projcted to hit stumps (min 500 runs & since 2006)

Steve Smith - 41.33
AB de Villiers - 32.41
Kevin Pietersen - 32.26
Sir Alastair Cook - 30.57
Andrew Strauss - 25.04
Virat Kohli - 24.08

Last edited:

Bijed

International Regular
Probably not the best thread for this but wasn't sure where to put it. Quite amazing even if not unexpected.

Worldwide test batting averages vs balls projcted to hit stumps (min 500 runs & since 2006)

Steve Smith - 41.33
AB de Villiers - 32.41
Kevin Pietersen - 32.26
Andrew Strauss - 25.04
Virat Kohli - 24.08
Have you got Faf and Bairstow's stats for this?

TheJediBrah

Steve Smith - 41.33
AB de Villiers - 32.41
Kevin Pietersen - 32.26
Andrew Strauss - 25.04
Virat Kohli - 24.08
2 things I take from this:
1) props to whoever compiled these stats
2) just bowl on the stumps ****s

(yes I know it's not that simple)