• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Smith v Kohli (test match batting)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I get this from him as well. Even in the training videos they always show him practicing with the cordon and even hanging around with the bowlers more often. He’s also made it clear in pressers as to what his priorities are.
For the uninitiated, this is called "fielding practice" and "being the captain."

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
Smith is the convincingly better test batsman as of now for sure . But his too much shuffle and the way he got out in the last ashes inns ...mmm , i think lots of teams would be keenly watching..A bit of alteration from his prejudiced line and length,,,,, that would be interesting just like that down the leg side by Ben stokes.

But over all ... it is definitely Kohli ....

Burgey

Smith is the convincingly better test batsman as of now for sure . But his too much shuffle and the way he got out in the last ashes inns ...mmm , i think lots of teams would be keenly watching..A bit of alteration from his prejudiced line and length,,,,, that would be interesting just like that down the leg side by Ben stokes.

Fmd. they tried it all series and it cost them literally hundreds. It's like saying Bradman had a weakness against leg spin because Hollies KO'ed him in his last innings with a wrong 'un. It's terrible logic. If teams want to bowl at Smith's hip then they're going to be chasing more leather than anyone thought it possible to humanly chase.

Daemon

Kohli definitely thinks of himself as self appointed saviour of Indian cricket.
Yeah this is pretty much it. Not a stretch to suggest he hasn’t obsessed as much on batting as he used to as a result. Whether it’s affected his batting at all, probably not.

Anyways, can’t believe there are still a couple of people who seriously think Kohli>Smith. Mental.

Chrish

International Debutant
Kohli definitely thinks of himself as self appointed saviour of Indian cricket.
Well if you listen to his interviews, he does give the highest priority to test cricket. Has made comment of revitalizing interest in test cricket and wants to see the format at the top when he retires. As someone who is almost godly in shorter formats and being from the country where not many people seem to care for test format, he has every reason to glorify his achievements in odi/ t20 but he doesn’t.

Also as a captain, he brings different approach as compared to previous captains. Isn’t afraid of taking risk by playing 5 bowlers but if you think about it, taking 20 wickets oversea has always been India’s issue in the past.

So wouldn’t call him a savior but he definitely takes the job more seriously than former captains ever did.

Burgey

Yeah this is pretty much it. Not a stretch to suggest he hasn’t obsessed as much on batting as he used to as a result. Whether it’s affected his batting at all, probably not.

Anyways, can’t believe there are still a couple of people who seriously think Kohli>Smith. Mental.
In tests, yes. Kohli is definitely better in LO stuff though. I suppose it depends on your emphasis between formats and how the disparities in averages/ SRs etc between those formats are prioritized.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Virat would have loved to bat for 300 last test but knew how selfish it would look and he's not an idiot

Never believe any batsman who says they're not interested in personal milestones. They're lying coz they think they have to

TheJediBrah

You realise teams have been trying that exact tactic against him regularly over the last 5 years right? And he still averages like 75 in that time?

Spark

Global Moderator
they aren't. one out of the two always play. ashwin/jadeja had better average than lyon in oz last tour. and what exactly is an unhelpful surface? 2017 sl tour was unhelpful surfaces where they averaged better than lyon in 2016 sl tour on dustbowls against the same lineup.

Victor Ian

International Coach
All praise Kohli. He may not be as good as Smith in tests but the guy deserves a wave for always saying 'what about me' whenever the debate is done and dusted.

Bolo.

International Captain

I assume.you mean to alter the line and length to 5th stump or so?People are thinking the stokes comparison means you are suggesting a line down leg, which would basically just solve the problem of Bradman's average being an outlier.

Burgey

All praise Kohli. He may not be as good as Smith in tests but the guy deserves a wave for always saying 'what about me' whenever the debate is done and dusted.
Yeah, terrific player. People frequently make the mistake of assuming if someone says "A > B" they're really saying "B needs a guide dog when he bats, while A is in fact superhuman." They aren't.

You can have levels of greatness. There are, for example, some superb posters on this forum, but none of them are as good as me. That doesn't detract from their own humble achievements. Rather, it just means they've reached their own excellent level, albeit a lower one than mine.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd put Kohli around the same level as Ponting or Sachin in tests. The guy is a beast and as I said earlier, if it wasn't for Smith he'd easily be the best in the world in all 3 formats (instead of just two).

But Smith is so far ahead of anyone else right now (at test level where he gaf). Maybe peak Lara gets close to Smith but since I've been alive he's a class above any other test batsman out there.

Burgey

It's interesting you say that and it's a good example of perception and opinion being reality in these sorts of discussions. You rate Ponting and Tendulkar roughly the same level in tests which is fair enough, whereas I have Tendulkar (and Lara for that matter) a slight but discernible tier above Punter. Again, it's all about degrees between most of these players, who are all exceptional.

Smith in tests, though. He's just insane right now. Never seen a player like him since I've been watching cricket.

Coronis

International Coach
It's interesting you say that and it's a good example of perception and opinion being reality in these sorts of discussions. You rate Ponting and Tendulkar roughly the same level in tests which is fair enough, whereas I have Tendulkar (and Lara for that matter) a slight but discernible tier above Punter. Again, it's all about degrees between most of these players, who are all exceptional.

Smith in tests, though. He's just insane right now. Never seen a player like him since I've been watching cricket.
Even above TOTAB?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Steve Smith is in a different level in tests while Kohli is clearly better in LO. Not sure why this is an argument. Both of them in the first ATG XI in tests and LO respectively and we are lucky to witness both in their prime.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, I don't think there should be any debate on that. Smith is possibly a Top 5 ATG batsman already whereas Kohli is somewhere around 15-20 at this moment.

Burgey

Even above TOTAB?
Yeah. Smith is like nothing I've seen before, and it's not even his output which makes me say it. You can visibly see from his gestures and expressions the level of his concentration, which sort of makes him more human and gives you an idea as to how much is going into what he does. And for whatever reason, his style to me seems to allow you to notice how his wrists and hands move to maneuver the ball into gaps in a way which isn't as noticeable with other blokes. It's almost as though he's doing it easier than anyone else but in a way which makes it look harder, but at the same time slows things down so we can all get what he's just done. Like I said, unique in my time watching.

Steve Smith is in a different level in tests while Kohli is clearly better in LO. Not sure why this is an argument. Both of them in the first ATG XI in tests and LO respectively and we are lucky to witness both in their prime.
Yeah I think this pretty much sums it up really. Both very fine players. Williamson too, who I'm looking forward to seeing this summer out here. Root not in the same league as those other three. Everythign about Root just seems so contrived and try hard, from his gestures and faux jocularity at the crease to his stance. Basically just moderately decent these days.

Still England's best player by a long way though.

Edit: And fwiw it still ****s me Australia ****ed up what limited chances they had at the WC with the side they had in by moving Smith around in the order. **** the Pillow. TPC should bat three, even more so in England where it wasn't a tourney of massive scores..

Last edited: