• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Smith v Kohli (test match batting)

ishqiya

School Boy/Girl Captain
kohli/smith have the same average difference that lyon does from ashwin/jaddu (rivaling warne in fact). australian fans cannot say that smith is superior to kohli because of average then point to flatter conditions for lyon being reason for his worse average.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
kohli/smith have the same average difference that lyon does from ashwin/jaddu (rivaling warne in fact). australian fans cannot say that smith is superior to kohli because of average then point to flatter conditions for lyon being reason for his worse average.
Lyon plays everywhere. Ashwin and Jadeja are, relatively speaking, protected from unhelpful surfaces. There is no equivalence with Smith and Kohli.

Slifer

International Captain
I'm not an Australian fan but it's not close, Smith is the better batsman. Kohli has had to bat otherworldly to get with in touching distance of Smith, and he's still almost 10 runs behind average wise. 10 runs!! Kohli is the third fastest to 7000 test runs, Smith will likely get there in 14 fewer innings!!!

ishqiya

School Boy/Girl Captain
Lyon plays everywhere. Ashwin and Jadeja are, relatively speaking, protected from unhelpful surfaces. There is no equivalence with Smith and Kohli.
they aren't. one out of the two always play. ashwin/jadeja had better average than lyon in oz last tour. and what exactly is an unhelpful surface? 2017 sl tour was unhelpful surfaces where they averaged better than lyon in 2016 sl tour on dustbowls against the same lineup.

harsh.ag

they aren't. one out of the two always play. ashwin/jadeja had better average than lyon in oz last tour. and what exactly is an unhelpful surface? 2017 sl tour was unhelpful surfaces where they averaged better than lyon in 2016 sl tour on dustbowls against the same lineup.
Not saying Lyon is better than them. Just that there is no equivalence with Smith and Kohli. Smith and Kohli play everywhere. If Ashwin is in a bad run of form, Jadeja or Kuldeep can be brought in. Same goes for Jadeja. Lyon has to play through bad form.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Not too bad for a bloke who was not playing for a year hey?
My understanding of how the ratings system is done might be wrong, but from what I've read, if a player doesn't play for a year, he doesn't lose any points. And especially at the 750+ mark, and certainly at the 900+ mark, it's harder to KEEP those points, nevermind accumulate more, than if the player were just to call a hiatus/retire/cheat using sandpaper and get banned.

Coronis

International Coach
My understanding of how the ratings system is done might be wrong, but from what I've read, if a player doesn't play for a year, he doesn't lose any points. And especially at the 750+ mark, and certainly at the 900+ mark, it's harder to KEEP those points, nevermind accumulate more, than if the player were just to call a hiatus/retire/cheat using sandpaper and get banned.
If a player doesn’t play in his countries match, he loses 1% of his rating points for each match missed. Prior to his ban, Smith had 938 points. After his ban he was sitting at 857 points, and now after the Ashes sits at 937 points. So in one series he regained all the points he lost for missing a year.

Last edited:

_00_deathscar

International Regular
If a player doesn’t play in his countries match, he loses 1% of his rating points for each match missed. Prior to his ban, Smith had 938 points. After his ban he was sitting at 857 points, and now after the Ashes sits at 937 points. So in one series he regained all the points he lost for missing a year.
Ah okay - my misunderstanding then.

But if he'd have 'retired' for a year then come back, he'd have come back at 938 is that correct?

Coronis

International Coach
Ah okay - my misunderstanding then.

But if he'd have 'retired' for a year then come back, he'd have come back at 938 is that correct?
I’m not sure how a temporary retirement would work, the people in charge of the rankings would make an executive decision I presume.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Genuinely feel Kohli has begun caring about his legacy as India captain more than personal exploits. Which isn't to say he likes being second to Smith; his ego will never allow that, but his priorities have certainly changed over time.

mr_mister

Genuinely feel Kohli has begun caring about his legacy as India captain more than personal exploits. Which isn't to say he likes being second to Smith; his ego will never allow that, but his priorities have certainly changed over time.
Lol

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I get this from him as well. Even in the training videos they always show him practicing with the cordon and even hanging around with the bowlers more often. He’s also made it clear in pressers as to what his priorities are.