• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think it could have been when religion became a bit less all encompassing in the 70s and 80s

My dad, born in '53 was born left hand dominant but when he was in kindergarten the nuns/christian brothers at his school made him write right handed because of something to do with the devil and left handed people. Eventually he became right handed. Lol

aussie tragic

International Captain
I have no idea how people can do it. Different dominant hands for batting and bowling.

My left hand is useless for nearly everything in life. Batting, bowling, catching, bedroom activities, etc
I broke my right arm playing League when 13 and had to use my left arm for everything for 2 months. 40 years later and I still open Jars and soft drink bottles with my left hand...go figure

a massive zebra

International Captain
England team of the 21st century

Alastair Cook
Michael Vaughan(c)
Kevin Pietersen
Joe Root
Graham Thorpe
Ben Stokes
Matt Prior(wk)
Andrew Flintoff
Graeme Swann
Stuart Broad
James Anderson

Lancashire Nick

Cricket Spectator
I have no idea how people can do it. Different dominant hands for batting and bowling.

My left hand is useless for nearly everything in life. Batting, bowling, catching, bedroom activities, etc
The captain of my school team batted and bowled left handed, but threw right handed ! Go figure.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Love watching an attritional opener do his thing. Just buckle down for an hour or two while the ball does a bit, see off the shine and the will of the opening bowlers. Nothing better.

kyear2

International Coach
Love watching an attritional opener do his thing. Just buckle down for an hour or two while the ball does a bit, see off the shine and the will of the opening bowlers. Nothing better.
I don't know, think would prefer a Barry Richards counter attack, putting the bowlers on the defensive. Probably because my earliest cricketing hero was Greenidge. But yeah.

a massive zebra

International Captain
England team of 1970-99

Geoff Boycott
Graham Gooch (c)
Alec Stewart
David Gower
Robin Smith
Tony Greig
Ian Botham
Alan Knott (wk)
John Snow
Bob Willis
Derek Underwood

Flametree

International 12th Man
I'm fairly sure the Flower brothers' father forced them to bat the "wrong" way, with the dominant hand on top. Certainly worked for Andy.

Recently the entire English bowling attack all bowled right and batted left - Broad, Anderson, Stokes, Moeen, and Finn I think was the 5th.

bagapath

International Captain
Me too. Watching Gavaskar nullify express fast bowling with his patience, concentration and technique used to be great great fun in my school days...

a massive zebra

International Captain
England team of 1945-69

Len Hutton
Colin Cowdrey
Peter May (c)
Ken Barrington
Denis Compton
Ted Dexter
Godfrey Evans (wk)
Johnny Wardle
Jim Laker
Fred Trueman
Alec Bedser

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
An Indian XI in the same time period

Mankad
Borde
Manjrekar
Hazare
Umrigar
Pataudi
Engineer
Phadkar
Nadkarni
Desai
Gupte

Haven't considered Merchant(only 4 tests during this period) and the spin trio(who were mostly 70s players).