• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2019-2020

Spark

Global Moderator
How the selectors can cop any heat over Labuschagne's selection/non-selection is beyond me

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It seems like for our Summer our team could be:

Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Marsh
Paine
Starc/Pattinson
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood

Richardson in the mix too but needs some bowling.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is Khawaja going to get back in? No spring chicken and dropped as he is poor away like Warner, can see one playing but not both as next tour you in same position again.

Would think Burns has to play as one of the openers.

Jack1

International Debutant
1. Burns
2. Warner
3. Labuschagne
4. Smith
5. Head
6. M Marsh
7. Paine (c)(wk)
8. Starc
9. Cummins
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

TheJediBrah

Is Khawaja going to get back in? No spring chicken and dropped as he is poor away like Warner, can see one playing but not both as next tour you in same position again.

Would think Burns has to play as one of the openers.
Can't see Burns doing much away from home. Would rather a younger option be given the chance, even if it has to be a makeshift opener. Burns could definitely do the job for a bit though, while a younger opener comes of age.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith.exe
Head
Patterson/Marsh
Paine
Starc/Pattinson
Cummins
Hazlewood
Lyon

Jhye Richardson also there or there abouts fitness permitting. See Marsh being somewhat of a horses for courses pick, on a lively deck I wouldn't play him but if it is flat he may well be worthwhile to beef up the bowling. Opening my biggest concern, would keep faith in Warner to come good against NZ and Pakistan but if this form continues it may well be time to move on

morgieb

Warner
Burns
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Patterson/Marsh
Paine
Starc/Pattinson
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood

So the same as GAS but with Burns instead of Pillow.

I think you kind of have to stick with Warner for at least the Pakistan series. If he doesn't score runs there then you'd consider moving on but his home form is generally a lot better than his away form, it seems silly to let one of Australia's few world-class batsmen go based on one bad series.

Burns gets the second opener slot because I think he's more likely to dig in and get big scores than Harris or Bancroft. I still have a few reservations but I think they won't be exposed as much in Australia as Pakistan's bowling isn't too impressive and he'll play on roads against New Zealand. I'd consider Renshaw if he has a big start to the season but he's lost a lot of credit recently and just seems bereft of confidence.

Middle order - Smith and Marnus are a given. While Head didn't light trees on fire in the most recent Ashes I think he acquitted himself OK and England seems like the worst possible place for his technique. I'd expect him to better in Australia. I suppose the same applies for Wade re: getting a chance in Australia but his recent form seems to be a big short-term surge and I question if he can keep it up long-term - he's also six years older. Perhaps he can play if he keeps it up at Shield level though.

For the final spot I've gone with Patterson, who really should've played this Ashes and has generally been the most consistent batsman at Shield level over the last five or so years. Marsh bowled really well here but I question his value if we're getting wickets with something in it for the bowler - he's a good option if we get a flat one though. If he scores runs second innings I'd be OK with keeping him.

As for other options.....I think it's too early for Pucovski, but the rest of the cupboard looks kinda bare. I think it's time to move on from Khawaja unless he beats the door down hard at Shield level (though part of me wonders whether he can find another lease on life as an opener) Honestly I'd be very tempted to experiment if Head struggles against Pakistan. (I wouldn't pick Pucovski for another season, but if he has a good Shield summer with no concussion/mental health issues I'm all over him for 2020)

7-11 probably picks itself. This should be the last time Siddle plays for Australia, given that he should be 5th in line for the current series and England's typically been the kindest conditions for his MO. And you've also got Richardson fit again for that matter. Not sure who's the 6th best quick at this point, but if we're needing to go to our 6th in line we've got bigger problems.

As for Paine, I guess I'd keep him for another summer as I have NFI who's an appropriate captaincy option otherwise. That gives time for someone else to establish their place, or otherwise *shudders* wait for Smith to finish his ban.

morgieb

Labu is going to be the next long-term captain, surely. Already 25. After a year maybe.
Maybe, but AFAIK he's never captained for Queensland before so it would be a big risk (obviously I could be wrong, in which case that would make sense)

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
With Labuschagne at three Khawaja is going to have to open if he plays test cricket again. Wonder if he will try and open in Shield cricket.

Plenty of theoretical options to open but most of them probably are not good enough. Bancroft and Harris have hurt their chances badly of opening the next test even if they start the Shield season well.

We really need Renshaw to start the season with a couple of centuries so that he is picked, perhaps with Warner or Burns.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah QLD at full strength top 4 will be interesting. Marnus deserves the 3 spot now but that means all 3 of Renshaw Burns and Khawaja will want to open. Id prob bat Burns at 4, but i dont think that will be popular as it appears most people want him opening in Tests.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Throw the baby out with the bath water I say. Ashes failures Warner, Harris, Bancroft, Khawaja, Wade, Head, Paine and Siddle should not wear the baggy green this season.

Burns
Random opener who scores shield runs
Labushagne
Smith
Patterson
Pucovski
Carey
Starc/Pattinson
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood