• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2019-2020

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
he is VC of both the one day and T20 Aust teams at the moment, so the hierarchy obviously think he's capable.
I know, that's exactly what I find so incredibly baffling. If Carey's leadership was so highly rated why did Jake Lehmann get the SACA job over him when Head was absent?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
True, but he was GWS's AFL captain early on and he is VC of both the one day and T20 Aust teams at the moment, so the hierarchy obviously think he's capable.

It's probably not ideal, but realistically, who else (if not Smith). Head is the other option I suppose.
Wasn't AFL, it was VFL /pedant

Besides, captaining cricket is a **** load harder than captaining Australian rules football. In most sports the role of the captain is to boost the troops up and give them leadership. All tactics etc. are done by the coach rather than the captain.

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Agree 100% with this top six. Happy for Khawaja to open, especially at home. And until Renshaw sorts his **** out and becomes the opener we really need. Paine can either stay or go, I'm not fussed either way whether it's him or Carey in tests at the moment.
I am currently working on the theory that Joe Burns missed the Ashes because of illness and should be given another chance to open. Which gives WiPuc a chance to sort out his mental issues.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Is the consensus in Australia that Smith will be captain again after the extra 12 months in the official sanction has elapsed, or is there a feeling that he shouldn’t captain again ever?

TheJediBrah

I am currently working on the theory that Joe Burns missed the Ashes because of illness and should be given another chance to open. Which gives WiPuc a chance to sort out his mental issues.
It would be fitting for Joe Burns to get selected for another easy home summer after missing the tough away tours. People will look back on his average in the 40s and wonder why he didn't play more.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Wasn't AFL, it was VFL /pedant

Besides, captaining cricket is a **** load harder than captaining Australian rules football. In most sports the role of the captain is to boost the troops up and give them leadership. All tactics etc. are done by the coach rather than the captain.
If you wanna be a pedant, be an accurate one. GWS never played in the VFL, they played in the NEAFL. I was using AFL as a term most people probably understand outside of Vic/Aus.

I'm well aware there's differences in captaining cricket to captaining AFL and other sports. But he obviously has leadership qualities, and he is obviously rated highly enough by the Australian hierarchy to be VC of our ODI team during the recent WC. All signs would point to that meaning he has the ability to captain a cricket team, wouldn't you reckon?

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
It's actually very probative when you compare it to his List A record.
Not sure what you are trying to say there?

Without his early Shield innings (11-12 and 12-13), Travis Head would have a first class average of 42.26. A far more accurate representation of his ability

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Is the consensus in Australia that Smith will be captain again after the extra 12 months in the official sanction has elapsed, or is there a feeling that he shouldn’t captain again ever?
Starting to think he probably will, if he wants to. His redemption will be complete if he wins us the Ashes.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
All signs would point to that meaning he has the ability to captain a cricket team, wouldn't you reckon?
Absolutely not. If you haven't led your state, you shouldn't be even remotely considered to lead your country.

The whole idea is a complete non starter as far as I am concerned

morgieb

If you wanna be a pedant, be an accurate one. GWS never played in the VFL, they played in the NEAFL. I was using AFL as a term most people probably understand outside of Vic/Aus.

I'm well aware there's differences in captaining cricket to captaining AFL and other sports. But he obviously has leadership qualities, and he is obviously rated highly enough by the Australian hierarchy to be VC of our ODI team during the recent WC. All signs would point to that meaning he has the ability to captain a cricket team, wouldn't you reckon?
Yeah you're right actually, confused it with them playing TAC Cup and the Suns playing VFL before entering the AFL.

VC does matter but it's different to being a captain IMO. Especially given he doesn't captain at state level and apparently doesn't at grade level. At the very least he'll need an experienced hand for tactics early doors.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah you're right actually, confused it with them playing TAC Cup and the Suns playing VFL before entering the AFL.

VC does matter but it's different to being a captain IMO. Especially given he doesn't captain at state level and apparently doesn't at grade level. At the very least he'll need an experienced hand for tactics early doors.
I'll check tonight. Certainly hasn't ever been a permanent captain, but he may have at some stage when Tom Plant has been unavailable

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Starting to think he probably will, if he wants to. His redemption will be complete if he wins us the Ashes.
I was thinking more in terms of whether the ACB might think that on principle it would look bad, at least to the outside world, if he captained again. Not so much based on his performances with the bat.

the big bambino

International Captain
ACB handled the issue badly and I don't think the rest of the world cares. I think he's better off without the captaincy officially and his influence on the side will be profound anyway.

aussie tragic

International Captain
he is VC of both the one day and T20 Aust teams at the moment, so the hierarchy obviously think he's capable.
Is VC even a real thing anymore in Australia?

All 3 teams have a batsman, WK and bowler in the 3 leadership positions so it's more of being a leader of a group. Example is if a batsman becomes the next test captain (Head or Smith), Carey and Cummins will be VC. If Cummins, misses a test, Hazlewood would be a VC again.

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Not sure what you are trying to say there?

Without his early Shield innings (11-12 and 12-13), Travis Head would have a first class average of 42.26. A far more accurate representation of his ability
If you take away the first two seasons of most FC batsman they probably average >3 runs more than their normal average.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This shows a lack of understanding of South Australian cricket. Not fair to criticise him when he was thrown into a truly helpless situation.
And if you're getting picked for a state side at age 17/18 you've probably got something special about you regardless of your stats.