• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in West Indies 2019

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cummins bowled like a drain and they missed Cornwall, who should have played in his place.

If Cornwall lives up to expectations, an attack of Roach-Gabriel-Joseph-Cornwall-Holder is something to look forward to.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
A West Indian calling an Indian pacer a force of nature. Now I have seen it all. :)
Give Jack he jacket, the guy is freakishly good. I've never seen someone bowl booming outswingers from that angle. I genuinely believe he would have bowled out every test lineup performing like that. The clouds came over with a light breeze which aided the swing but he bowled the perfect line and length at 140-145kph with that freaksih angle. Just absolutely deadly. I'm looking forward to watching him on Friday and seeing if our batsmen find a way to survive the new ball.

Beamer

Cummins bowled like a drain and they missed Cornwall, who should have played in his place.

If Cornwall lives up to expectations, an attack of Roach-Gabriel-Joseph-Cornwall-Holder is something to look forward to.
Absolutely agreed. But I'd also add he wasn't himself throughout the test. He didn't bowl anywhere near us much as he should, instead bowling part time spinners. His captaincy was absolutely dreadful also. I hope he returns to type on Friday and that they select the right team.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
2) Top order batting. They have been failing for too long. It's getting to the point where Kraigg has to shape up or ship out. Bravo must also be on thin ice. They are amongst the best we have but I feel a full FC season would do them both the world of good.
Are there actually replacements who will be an improvement though?

England have these underperforming players in the top and middle order (particularly openers) but if the alternative is equally poor / worse is there really any benefit to changing them around?

Beamer

Are there actually replacements who will be an improvement though?

England have these underperforming players in the top and middle order (particularly openers) but if the alternative is equally poor / worse is there really any benefit to changing them around?
That is the problem right there. We have no-one who is demonstrably better. They could try Lewis but he hardly plays FC cricket nowadays so would be a big gamble. Otherwise domestically we have no-one who has broken the door down. One more season of productivity from Chanderpaul Jr and I'd give him a go. But as of now, nobody is ready.

SillyCowCorner1

That is the problem right there. We have no-one who is demonstrably better. They could try Lewis but he hardly plays FC cricket nowadays so would be a big gamble. Otherwise domestically we have no-one who has broken the door down. One more season of productivity from Chanderpaul Jr and I'd give him a go. But as of now, nobody is ready.
We need Esaun Crandon as our coach ffs, the man knows a great deal about winning. And he's from my neighboring village here in Guyana.

SillyCowCorner1

I'd accept anyone but Reifer right now. The man has royally messed us up in every format.
True dat. I believe in the England series Crandon was part of the coaching staff.

I know that there Rayon Griffith working under Colleymore...and Sarwan and Lara helping with the batting development/regiment.

Beamer

True dat. I believe in the England series Crandon was part of the coaching staff.

I know that there Rayon Griffith working under Colleymore...and Sarwan and Lara helping with the batting development/regiment.
Rayon Griffith was fielding coach right? Which is a strange one to me. I have to admit that the early days of Skeritt/Shallow have been pretty abysmal.

Beamer

The squad for the next test has been announced. Dowrich is still out. Keemo Paul replaces Cummins (thank goodness).

So my team is:

Brathwaite
Campbell
Bravo
Hope (wk)
Chase
Hetmeyer
Holder
Cornwall
Paul
Roach
Gabriel

Batting is still weak but it allows for a seriously string bowling attack. Bowling opposition out for next to nothing is our only chance of winning tests with this group so we might as well stack the bowling.

SillyCowCorner1

Why they didn't play Jahmar Hamilon as the keeper in the 1st test and let Hope bat his usual spot? Seems like they were committed to debuting Brooks...no matter what.

Daemon

There was a point where Rampaul was genuinely good, Taylor was bowling well and Roach had just begun his career that they were also world class. Was very brief though iirc.

morgieb

There was a point where Rampaul was genuinely good, Taylor was bowling well and Roach had just begun his career that they were also world class. Was very brief though iirc.
Pretty sure Taylor wasn't playing FC cricket during Rampaul's "good" phase and Roach averaged 60 the year Rampaul averaged 25.

Attack back then was something like Rampaul/Edwards/Sammy/Bishoo. Which isn't terrible, but clearly worse than Roach/Holder/Gabriel and with the upside of Cornwall and Paul (o/c we don't know if they actually are really good yet)

SillyCowCorner1

Harken back to the days of Darren Powell, Lionel Baker, Brandon Bess, Gavin Tonge. ..

So, so many pacemen we had...

If only we had a pace bowling academy...

Daemon

Pretty sure Taylor wasn't playing FC cricket during Rampaul's "good" phase and Roach averaged 60 the year Rampaul averaged 25.

Attack back then was something like Rampaul/Edwards/Sammy/Bishoo. Which isn't terrible, but clearly worse than Roach/Holder/Gabriel and with the upside of Cornwall and Paul (o/c we don't know if they actually are really good yet)
Oh my bad it was Edwards not Taylor.

Ramps and his stupid watch always irked me.

Beamer

How come Pooran isn’t playing? Looked all class at the WC.
Lots of discussion in the Caribbean about fast tracking Pooran into Tests. People are quite divided.

On the one hand, people say he hasn't played FC cricket for years and needs to prove himself there first. Just look at what has happened to Jason Roy.

On the other hand Pooran clearly has a more solid technique than Roy that would in theory be suitable for tests. Our batting lineup is awful and he couldn't do worse than Bravo who was fast tracked back in after no FC cricket.

I'm personally in the latter half of the argument and would have him playing. I think that's a little too out there for our ultra conservative selectors though.

Beamer

Harken back to the days of Darren Powell, Lionel Baker, Brandon Bess, Gavin Tonge. ..

So, so many pacemen we had...

If only we had a pace bowling academy...
Do you remember Dwight Washington? That was the biggest let down of a debut. We were sold Joel Garner and got something closer to Sulieman Benn!