• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Virat Kohli, the greatest ODI bat ever?

Is Virat Kohli the Greatest ODI bat of all Time

• Yes

Votes: 19 47.5%
  • No

Votes: 21 52.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know I'm nitpicking but I don't consider Elliott to have failed in the sense that Blewett did. Elliott averaged 43 after his first 15 tests out of 21 total. His next 6 were played over 3 series across 6 years and he was dropped after each series. Final average dropping down to 33 seems a bit unfair in context. Players who only played 20 tests or under can have their stats yoyo around a lot.

Blewett went without a ton for his last 20 tests including an extended run as opener with Slater in 99-00, playing 6 series and averaging under 30. He was a true failed experiment, though Australia won every single match of that period lol.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Dhonis tactics always worked great in odis... No one better at applying the middle overs runchoke. Just like literally everything else about his game, his captaincy was much better suited to the limited overs format than tests.
This. Plus he was the ultimate captain cool under pressure. Betrayed absolutely no emotion, gave his team and the opposition to hint of what was going on in his mind. Always seemed in control which is why I think he won so many of the high pressure battles in the end phases of LO cricket.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Always loved the guy but these centuries in meaningless games against crap opposition are really adding up

vcs

I never thought anyone would break Sachin's century record, he's going to obliterate it. India are lucky to have him. :)

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I never thought anyone would break Sachin's century record, he's going to obliterate it. India are lucky to have him. :)
Yeah, I didn't imagine that Sachin's records will be broken within my lifetime, mainly in ODIs. He is going to easily do it.

Slifer

International Captain
Always loved the guy but these centuries in meaningless games against crap opposition are really adding up
With all due respect, kohli is not the only player who's scored runs vs weaker attacks. The fact remains though that he's head and shoulders above anyone else currently playing in odis. He's the steve Smith of odis (lol).

TheJediBrah

With all due respect, kohli is not the only player who's scored runs vs weaker attacks. The fact remains though that he's head and shoulders above anyone else currently playing in odis. He's the steve Smith of odis (lol).
ok? I've been saying all that for years

cnerd123

likes this
Kohli is such a gun that people think 442 runs @ 55.25 with 5 50s in 9 innings was a poor return from him in the WC. and tbf it was below his career average, so fair enough.

inb4 Burgey rant about KO games

vcs

Kohli is such a gun that people think 442 runs @ 55.25 with 5 50s in 9 innings was a poor return from him in the WC. and tbf it was below his career average, so fair enough.

inb4 Burgey rant about KO games
Yeah, it is average for Kohli, such are the standards he's set for himself. :)

Also, worth bearing in mind that he got out slogging towards the end in a few of those knocks, he doesn't play to protect his average unlike Dhoni.

Burner

International Regular
It probably demonstrates how vital Dhawan is to India and to Kohli even more. You cannot have 2 slow starting openers in your team.

Dhawan either gets out quickly and lets Kohli do his thing because of how many overs are left, or he makes some quick runs and then lets Kohli ride that momentum.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
It shows how easy is Batting now ,

and ABDV declined in this decade , yet he avgs 65 ish at close to 110 SR . Statistically a league above Kohli , in Kohli's prime.

Sachin
Viv
ABDV
Kohli
Dhoni

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Yes. ABDV is not active now.