• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Ireland in England 2019

DriveClub

International Regular
Archer and Anderson are injured and there's a good chance Foakes won't play anyway, knowing England's selection (Denly has been touted a lot recently for God-knows-what reason). Flem's right it's only Stokes and Buttler they're missing.
Denly was the highest scorer for england, the selectors are onto something :D

the big bambino

International Captain
Archer and Anderson are injured and there's a good chance Foakes won't play anyway, knowing England's selection (Denly has been touted a lot recently for God-knows-what reason). Flem's right it's only Stokes and Buttler they're missing.
Thats true of Anderson and Archer. Flem said Eng's strongest possible team so I assumed eventual availability. I see Foakes' form with the bat hasn't been great though he's posted a few half tons. Given the options I'd still pick him for the ashes.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Aside from form, Foakes's problem is that he's another lower order middle player. He's probably not a better #3 than Denly, and Bairstow and Root are reluctant to bat there. Is the upgrade from Foakes in the middle over Denly 3 worth the likely downgrade you get from Root or Bairstow batting where they're not as comfortable?

Probably yes IMO, but I don't think it's a question with an obvious answer, and Foakes's form being a bit meh is swinging it one way.

the big bambino

International Captain
Yes it a problem with only a least worse solution and even that's subjective. Imo that's YJB at 3 or opener just to get some depth for the frailty at the top.

Spintolose

U19 Cricketer
lol you really think that?
From an England point of view, definitely.

It's all about stepping up for the big occasions. England are the World Cup winners - nobody cares that largely the same team lost to minnows Scotland last summer or even more embarrassingly lost to Pakistan in the group stages.

The Ireland Test is just a practice for The Ashes. I mean, seriously 2 spinners that can't bat playing at Lords? It's practically unheard of.... They didn't even do that last summer vs India in the middle of one of the hottest dryest summers in England ever.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!

It's all about stepping up for the big occasions. England are the World Cup winners - nobody cares that largely the same team lost to minnows Scotland last summer or even more embarrassingly lost to Pakistan in the group stages.

The Ireland Test is just a practice for The Ashes. I mean, seriously 2 spinners that can't bat playing at Lords? It's practically unheard of.... They didn't even do that last summer vs India in the middle of one of the hottest dryest summers in England ever.
Think that's just you tbh

People will remember a one off Test loss to Ireland, in their second ever Test, more than they will remember anything about this Ashes series, regardless of who wins

Athlai

Not Terrible
Unless its a 2005 style legendary Ashes, yeah absolutely they'll remember Ireland beating England over anything else.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
As Flem said, they are just missing Stokes and Buttler, an all-rounder and another guy who came in to the test side only over an year ago. No excuses if England loses this. Rooting for an Ireland win, though England might just bat through all day today and douse all our hopes of the upset win.

vcs

Anything under 150 in the 4th innings and Ireland should have a decent shot. Long way to go yet.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm expecting the crushing disappointment when England win to be crushingly disappointing.
Actually, even at this point, because of Ireland's inexperience, many are expecting an England win only. It won't be a crushing disappointment to many if Ireland lose. That was the result expected at the start of the test anyway. But it will be overwhelming happiness to everyone if they can win.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Since Ireland players cannot play as locals in county cricket from 2020, a test win will work wonders in them retaining their talent. Else, there is a huge possibility that many good talents forego Ireland this year to partake in county cricket.

Burgey

Surely Rashid and Ali have played together before?

hazsa19

International Regular
Think that's just you tbh

People will remember a one off Test loss to Ireland, in their second ever Test, more than they will remember anything about this Ashes series, regardless of who wins
I don’t think it would be as catastrophic as some are suggesting, neither would I be as blasé about it as some.

Tbh though, IMO no other team would have faired significantly better batting first yesterday. It was the perfect bowling for those particular conditions at that particular time.