• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Semi Final - India v New Zealand

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Hot take: the remainder of our innings set the tone of the day. We could've been rolled for 220 with Bumrah but 7 an over from the last 4 was pretty crucial I reckon.
We did well considering we only hit one four ...somehow managed to keep the momentum we had sort of wrestled before the rain came on day one.

Thom Yorke

Cricket Spectator
5 for 3 in 3.1 overs did India in. The top 3 were playing out 45+ overs almost all tournament and then leaving 47 overs to play out for the middle/lower order in a Semifinal wasn't helpful at the least.

Spintolose

U19 Cricketer
The start the NZ bowlers made was so good I'm watching the Skysports highlights right now...even though I just finished watching the live game.

The Hutt Rec

Frankly ridiculous that we win that game when you consider the difference in money/resources and player numbers between these two countries. What a result! :D :D :D

Moss

Ahhh won't be able to sleep for a while after all that. What a match ... Kane's captaincy was pretty much perfect, I dunno where this has been, but he nailed it on his biggest stage. Bowlers amazing. Don't care who we play in the final, we will battle our way through and take it out this time.

I've gone fully Team Stead. Coaching genius!!! :laugh:

Having been there in 2015 will surely help us though ... I think the experience might just get us home.
Ha ha. Shows you can play with a totally different approach four years later and still succeed (for the most part).

This was one of those games where a few guys did the bulk of the work on paper, but practically everyone contributed in some way or the other, even Guptill with his fielding. Santner chose a good time to recover after a couple of bad games, and Latham's keeping was crucial too. Hope it's a similar story for the final.

Last edited:

Spintolose

U19 Cricketer
Haha. Warne is such a plonk, in between trying to glance into a reflective surface he just said 'that's given us the semi-final of the world cup'... .

Spark

Global Moderator
Reserve days should be standard in all WC games and should be used before DLS.

Cricket's handling of rain is an embarrassment to the sport that we all kind of stop noticing because we're used to it. When you find yourself trying to defend it to fans of other sports you realise how tinpot it is.
Yeah, this has really shown up how much better is to get a full game of some description in than any sort of adjusted-target match. Just feels so much more like a proper game.

wrongun

Banned
Wow...the Indian media and reporters are a bunch of entitled whiners. Kohli being asked in the post game presser if ICC tournaments should have IPL type playoffs so that the first seed gets a second chance. The media can't even take a loss in stride.

cnerd123

likes this
MSD's innings is an interesting example of how the quality of an innings is heavily influenced by the outcome of the game

If Jadeja struggles to 30 off 50 from the other end, it looks dire. If these two finish the chase, it looks incredible. As it happens, we get something that's in between, and MSD's innings is simultaneously crucial but also terrible. Garbage innings but vital to making this game close.

It's an interesting one.

Moss

MSD's innings is an interesting example of how the quality of an innings is heavily influenced by the outcome of the game

If Jadeja struggles to 30 off 50 from the other end, it looks dire. If these two finish the chase, it looks incredible. As it happens, we get something that's in between, and MSD's innings is simultaneously crucial but also terrible. Garbage innings but vital to making this game close.

It's an interesting one.
Yup interesting alright and you could probably make a similar argument about Taylor's innings, though to his credit once he got into the final powerplay he did manage to step it up, jussst in time.

cnerd123

likes this
Yup interesting alright and you could probably make a similar argument about Taylor's innings, though to his credit once he got into the final powerplay he did manage to step it up, jussst in time.
If Boult and Henry don't take early wickets and Rohit and Kohli finish this chase in 40 overs, is Taylor's innings still a good one?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
What a wonderful game. Well done to NZ. I'll see you guys in four years for the next WC. I was shocked to see Dhoni still playing ODIs when the WC started - that's how much I care about ODIs outside of WC.

Onto Tests! India in West Indies - August 22nd in Antigua!

Spark

Global Moderator
If Boult and Henry don't take early wickets and Rohit and Kohli finish this chase in 40 overs, is Taylor's innings still a good one?
setting =/= chasing tbf. setting is where a batsman can feel pressure from the other end really acutely because you don't have that hard yardstick to measure how well you're going as a team

Moss

If that had happened, IMO the lingering feeling would be the pitch was not as difficult as Taylor made it out to be, and we'd be complaining about his innings.

With KW winning the toss and batting and what looked like fairly deliberate accumulation (and all of us being sceptical about it), and backing his bowlers to defend it, looks like they got it spot on.