• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

29th Match - New Zealand v West Indies

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

Member Berry

U19 Cricketer
just watched the highlights. couple of devastatingly close finishes for the chasing side yesterday. rain aside, it's been a pretty good world cup.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Watched several sets of highlights this morning, that final 8 overs of the chase was intense. A truly entertaining match when every time one side got ahead the other claws them back, even when it looks unlikely.

Not sure what to make of the fact that NZ keep winning these tight ones - it's good on the face of it, but in all cases (vs Bang, SA, WI) we've looked well in control late in the match before stuttering and almost getting beaten. None of the weaknesses apart from sudden propensity to drop catches are new. Munro still terrible and needs to go for Nicholls. Williamson immense of course, and hope Taylor gets his first hundred of the tournament soon. Trust in Guptill and Latham to start performing soon, I hope. Neesham, CDG and Santner did a decent job finishing the innings with 6ers. Henry should not be allowed to bowl in the last 8 overs of an innings, but we already knew that - he's also a problem if he gets collared up front because he goes to pieces then too, luckily that hasn't happened yet this tournament. Ferguson is exceptional and makes a massive difference to our strike power - think he's added a couple of slower ball variations, or is more reliably bowling them, too.

Feel for WI and Brathwaite of course. Certainly a World Cup of almost-could've-been for them. Could've beaten Aus but didn't quite, could've beaten NZ but didn't quite. Unfortunate washout against SA when they were on top early. Should've pushed Bangladesh harder when defending 320 but dropped catches. Brathwaite, like Thisara Perera for SL, plays the occasional inspirational and exceptional innings like today, but bowls a similar mix of stuff to that he like bashing for six himself - a selector's nightmare. Wonder if he'll be back in four years.

Grasshopper

State Vice-Captain
Henry should not be allowed to bowl in the last 8 overs of an innings, but we already knew that - he's also a problem if he gets collared up front because he goes to pieces then too, luckily that hasn't happened yet this tournament.
Should he be playing at all if he's that emotionally fragile, especially in the knock-out game(s)? Not that a Southee recall would be any more reassuring at this stage. Must be almost time to unleash the Ish.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just watched the highlights, brilliant stuff. Seems like it's always Ian Bishop commentating whenever Braithwaite does something spectacular.

Spark

Global Moderator
Idk if Henry is mentally weak. To me it just seems like he only has one string in his bow, and if Plan A doesn't work and batsmen latch onto him early, he can't do much else.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not sure what to make of the fact that NZ keep winning these tight ones - it's good on the face of it, but in all cases (vs Bang, SA, WI) we've looked well in control late in the match before stuttering and almost getting beaten. .
It's a good thing as far as I'm concerned, England play below par and get beaten by Pakistan & SL, NZ play below par and still keep winning.

Winning is a habit, remember in years gone by, NZ were inclined to lose the close ones.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
It's a good thing as far as I'm concerned, England play below par and get beaten by Pakistan & SL, NZ play below par and still keep winning.

Winning is a habit, remember in years gone by, NZ were inclined to lose the close ones.
The flip side of this is other sides will be taking note, Also, it feels like there have been too many close finishes over the last couple of years where somone from the opposition lower order plays a blinder and NZ are a bit deer in headlights before escaping at the end (Stoinis, Shadab, etc). At some point we're going to lose one of those. Australia especially are going to be ruthless unlike South Africa or the Windies.

but yeah you get the feeling NZ have not been quite at 100 percent and still winning, so positive overall.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Should he be playing at all if he's that emotionally fragile, especially in the knock-out game(s)? Not that a Southee recall would be any more reassuring at this stage. Must be almost time to unleash the Ish.
Idk if Henry is mentally weak. To me it just seems like he only has one string in his bow, and if Plan A doesn't work and batsmen latch onto him early, he can't do much else.
Yeah he's one dimensional. His new ball bowling has been good this tournament though (and it hasn't been the tournament for big scores in the first 10 overs because there's a bit there for bowlers to exploit). I'd have liked to have seen Sodhi this tournament but doubt they'll really change things round now.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Harris and Mahela both really good shouts. RTD v England in 2011 was outstanding too. But I wouldn't argue with anyone who ranked this one higher.
Before my time, but Zimbabwean David Houghton's 142 against NZ at the 1987 World Cup must rank up with the great WC centuries in a losing cause. Hit 6 sixes and 13 fours. A nice cricinfo piece with comments from the players involved.

Zimbabwe were 104 for 7 chasing 243 for victory against New Zealand in their first match of the 1987 World Cup. Playing in their second World Cup, their ambition was to stay competitive. Dave Houghton, their wicketkeeper-batsman, ensured just that when he cracked 142 - at the time the third-highest score in a World Cup. But with Zimbabwe 22 runs adrift from victory, Martin Crowe took one of the most spectacular catches of the tournament, which proved to be the turning point of the match.
Just watched the highlights of the game & really have to feel for Brathwaite. Hetmyer looks like a future superstar. The Windies promised so much in this tournament after thrashing NZ in the warm-up, easily beating Pakistan then having Australia 38/4.

I wonder if NZ will be tempted to give Southee & Nicholls a run now a semi-final place is now assured. A shame they can't give Blundell a game, but Latham needs all the time in the middle he can get.

Last edited:

Jezroy

State Captain
I wonder if NZ will be tempted to give Southee & Nicholls a run now a semi-final place is now assured. A shame they can't give Blundell a game, but Latham needs all the time in the middle he can get.
But they can - open with Latham, bat Blundell or Nicholls at 5.

See ya later Munro.

And I think especially against Pakistan they could give at least Southee and Sodhi a run too. Theoretically still a pretty good team... I’d also put Neesham at 5 to give him a bit more time too.

Guptill
Latham
Williamson
Taylor
Neesham
Blundell
CDG
Sodhi
Southee
Ferguson
Boult

You’ve still got our two best batsmen and bowlers there, so nothing to lose by experimenting.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
But they can - open with Latham, bat Blundell or Nicholls at 5.

See ya later Munro.

And I think especially against Pakistan they could give at least Southee and Sodhi a run too. Theoretically still a pretty good team... I’d also put Neesham at 5 to give him a bit more time too.

Guptill
Latham
Williamson
Taylor
Neesham
Blundell
CDG
Sodhi
Southee
Ferguson
Boult

You’ve still got our two best batsmen and bowlers there, so nothing to lose by experimenting.
NZ has a real chance to top the group now, and doing so could mean the difference between playing Australia/India and playing Bangladesh/Sri Lanka. We should make changes to improve the current side (Nicholls for Munro), but I don’t want us to weaken the team by giving Sodhi or Southee a run just to “see what they’ve got” and give the frontline bowlers a rest.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Really unsure why anyone is suggesting Sodhi at this point. Spinners have not been having a great time at this World Cup and the only bowler we'd remotely consider dropping is Henry. Who you'd only ever replace with Southee.

Sodhi was there as injury cover for Santner and as a genuine 5th bowling option for CDG or Neesham. CDG or Neesham aint going anywhere, they've both been awesome.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Things we should consider

Should have happened already:

Blundell for Latham
Latham is just stale cake, hasn't even kept that well. It's a no brainer IMO.

May be worth a go:

Nicholls for Munro
Munro isn't as bad as he was in our home summer and we could use any icing we get in an innings, but he just hasn't been reliable enough to have this deathgrip on the opening spot. Nicholls being left out feels harsh as he has been doing a good job with the bat the last few years and at decent SR too. There is still an argument for Munro and his runs against Sri Lanka and starts against Afghanistan/Bangers give him a tiny bit of rope here. I don't think any of us actually suspect him to do anything vs India/Au/Eng though.

Southee for Henry

Cue angry Kiwi posters.

BeeGee

International Captain
Really unsure why anyone is suggesting Sodhi at this point. Spinners have not been having a great time at this World Cup and the only bowler we'd remotely consider dropping is Henry. Who you'd only ever replace with Southee.

Sodhi was there as injury cover for Santner and as a genuine 5th bowling option for CDG or Neesham. CDG or Neesham aint going anywhere, they've both been awesome.
Indeed. There have been some weird ideas in this thread. Here's a little reality check:

In the last 12 months Sodhi has played 8 ODIs, taken 10 wickets @37 with econ. 5.3.

10 wickets in 8 games and Doull and McCullum want him in the team because he's an aggressive wicket taker. No ****ing clue.

Last edited: