• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Howsie

International Captain
FFS all those T20s.. is this the future of NZC? 4-5 tests a year, 10 ODIs, and about 40 T20s?

I'd like to know how SL & the Windies still seem to play so many more Tests than us.
David White hates test cricket, simple really. He'd happily kill test cricket if he could.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I'd resigned myself to only four tests, but only three ODIs is pretty weird. Given the sides we have touring, it already looks like a pretty forgettable summer.

Jezroy

State Captain
I HATE the fact that there are only 4 tests when there could have been 6 (not to mention adding that to the 3 in Australia - how good would that sequence be).

And as much as I am not happy with how D White has seemed to not favour test cricket, I'd guess that also the BCCI would have been VERY keen for some limited overs stuff (better time for them), and the ECB as well (practice for the upcoming T20 WC).

Saying that - 5 match T20 series? I was hoping that being on the FTP was a mistake or that common sense would prevail. Yuck.

Flem274*

123/5
he'll never be binned but the day david white goes to ruin someone elses sport can't come soon enough.

he'll probably take over from steve tew or something and gut mitre 10 cup and super rugby in favour of 7s.

anyway, this season will shine a spotlight on whether we're now contenders or still pretenders. i expect the answer, like in the mccullum era, will be 'sort of'.

Jezroy

State Captain
So World Cup related, but in here anyway.

Hesson has said he thinks for the game against India that they should bring in Nicholls for CDG as he is better at playing spin, and Southee for Henry because it might swing.

Shows the mentality that kept Southee in the ODI team so long...

Saying that, I think the Nicholls call is pretty good (as we know CDG is not great against spin, apart from the fact that you’re relying on Neesh to bowl ten overs or share 10 with Kane (who hardly ever bowls) on the back of one performance against AFG.

Seriously, Kane, have a bowl.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

Hesson has said he thinks for the game against India that they should bring in Nicholls for CDG as he is better at playing spin, and Southee for Henry because it might swing.

Saying that, I think the Nicholls call is pretty good (as we know CDG is not great against spin, apart from the fact that you’re relying on Neesh to bowl ten overs or share 10 with Kane (who hardly ever bowls) on the back of one performance against AFG.

If Munro is playing (even Blundell would probably be better tho) he would need to bowl in this scenario

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Go left field and surprise India and get CDG to open against Bumrah and try to hit him out of the attack. Bumrah chews up left-handed openers and the big man is much better against pace. Then Nicholls can be in the middle order against the spinners and Munro can mix drinks.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

Wow, no wonder Southee got such a blessed run under Hesson. Henry doesn't swing it nowadays? Isn't that when he's the most effective, we've established? And Southee isn't match fit. Nicholls I can see the logic, but then as you say that relies a lot on getting overs out of someone else.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Ignoring the T20 fest next summer...Test v the Poms at the Mount :D SO GOOD. Add that to the Boxing Day match and it makes up for all the dross around it.

The Hutt Rec

Hesson’s article on stuff says Southee was the incumbent in the ODI aside before his injury ... umm, was I watching a different summer of cricket to Hesson?!

Moss

Southee did return and take a 6 wicket haul against Bangladesh IIRC (he captained the side too I think?). Hesson probably sees that as incumbency.

The guy has built a career out of performing when dropped or his place is under threat, if recalled to the XI hopefully that trend continues. Wouldn't mind him directly replacing CdG in the lineup for the India game alone, you gain an extra bowler and lose little batting-wise (given that they are likely to unleash wrist spin against CdG).

Re: the suggestion to open with CdG, Kohli has shown he is more than happy to hold Bumrah back and would have no qualms opening with a wrist spinner, so doubt CdG can be shielded in any way.

Jezroy

State Captain
Ignoring the T20 fest next summer...Test v the Poms at the Mount :D SO GOOD. Add that to the Boxing Day match and it makes up for all the dross around it.
Yeah - when you put in the 3 Australian tests suddenly the summer as a whole looks so much better. It's just SO MANY T20s...

If you include the games in Oz...

7 tests
6 ODIs
13 T20s...

The Oz T20s at the end of the season you can see the thinking - they would have just played 3 x ODIs in Australia a few days before.

England I'm guessing (since it's not part of the Test Championship) were keen on getting some T20s down under

And NZC does what BCCI wants... guess they had to play two tests because of the WTC and FTP. Yeah you know me. Would have rather had 3 tests and 3 ODIs against them. Even 3 tests and 3 T20s if it meant 3 tests. But that wasn't going to happen. The T20s they can start at 8pm (great time for Indian audience).

Saying that, it's going to be very interesting to see how Neil Wagner goes in the tests vs SL in SL and IND in NZ. Hopefully he can stay fit as he really does provide something different to our test attack.

Wonder how close Ferguson is to getting a run in tests? With 9 tests coming up between August and next March... I feel like Henry is a straight swap for Southee if there is an issue with form or injury. So Ferguson would need to be in for Boult or Wagner.

Flem274*

123/5
who are these 13 t20s against? no ones going to watch all of those.

if we're slyly deciding to be a white ball nation only then we better start winning some world cups to justify it.

Jezroy

State Captain
who are these 13 t20s against? no ones going to watch all of those.

if we're slyly deciding to be a white ball nation only then we better start winning some world cups to justify it.
5 each against India and England, and 3 against Australia.

Binkley

U19 Captain
Anyone got tickets for the boxing day test yet? I was just looking at prices today. Can any of our Australian posters recommend the best seats or value for money?

https://www.cricket.com.au/tickets/event/domain-boxing-day-test--australia-vs-new-zealand--mcg-/day-1?matchid=dc7dfcc6-4f64-46aa-99ea-3e0623ecb695&city=melbourne
I do! Our seats are in row J in N2. They are a bit side-on, and face the afternoon sun, so I suspect they are not great. On the other hand there is an air conditioned bar directly behind them.