• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* IPL 2019

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I really want to post a thing but people would dig it up next time we had a sim draft. Not that I end up simming those more than half the time, but still.

SA four day cricket is actually pretty great, albeit slightly less so the past 2-3 seasons. Three day cricket there is barely any more worthy of FC status than the Australian Futures League.

MrPrez

International Debutant
I really want to post a thing but people would dig it up next time we had a sim draft. Not that I end up simming those more than half the time, but still.

SA four day cricket is actually pretty great, albeit slightly less so the past 2-3 seasons. Three day cricket there is barely any more worthy of FC status than the Australian Futures League.
Yep I'd have guessed that. My guess is that Ranji is probably pretty low down in your sim rankings. If I remember correctly, tons of 50+ averaging batsmen and low 20s-averaging bowlers; the latter in particular aren't likely to do anything of note in Test cricket. So it would make sense.

Borges

International Regular
Nope; other way around.
I'd have to imagine the Sunfoil Series would be quite high up by virtue of only having six teams - meaning less dilution of top domestic players.
Thanks. So the Sunfoil is like the (old) Duleep Trophy. By bigger I had meant more games, more players; and therefore (I thought) South Africa's premier FC league.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Thanks. So the Sunfoil is like the (old) Duleep Trophy. By bigger I had meant more games, more players; and therefore (I thought) South Africa's premier FC league.
It's not at all uncommon for the top-flight FC leagues to have less teams. Happens in England, for starters.

SA's top FC league used to be split up into the teams that currently form the 3-day competition. But then the SA cricket board decided to create a more condensed top-flight league where these teams were amalgamated into fewer, higher-quality franchises. For example, the Warriors franchise represents the Border, Eastern Province, and South Western Districts 3-day teams.

[Side note: This is why it's a joke that our 3-day competition as FC status. It's essentially a strong reserves league.]

The goal was to forge a higher-quality domestic cricket circuit; the problem, though, is that many talented players don't get proper game time. Daryn Dupavillon is a good example.

This issue is heightened by quotas, which limit the number of white players in a franchise side in the name of development.

We're reportedly moving back to the old system of more top-flight teams again.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lmao, so on a pitch that's somewhat green Shardul Thakur is making Rohit look like an idiot. Hilarious. Replace Rohit's rocket launcher with a normal bat and watch that average plummet.

Borges

International Regular
Thanks.

[Side note: This is why it's a joke that our 3-day competition as FC status. It's essentially a strong reserves league.]
Ah! So these two leagues run simultaneously. Why can't they be scheduled without overlap?

MrPrez

International Debutant
Thanks.

Ah! So these two leagues run simultaneously. Why can't they be scheduled without overlap?
Because the 3-day competition is purposefully used as a feeder for franchise cricket. So that more players get cricket opportunities.

vcs

CSK always manage to do well no matter how ordinary their team looks on paper.

Daemon

A Team cricket
Duleep Trophy
Shield
Sunfoil
CC1

is my guess for top 5 in that order

Dunno about Plunket. That Bangladeshi regional one is probably more decent than many would expect too.

There’s two Pakistani leagues as well with the QeA being the better of the two iirc. An uneducated guess would put it maybe slightly above CC2. SL’s is rubbish. WI is poo. Ranji who knows really.

SillyCowCorner1

WI is poo.
Guyana dominating the FC competition for five years in a row.

Good Work put it by Coach Esuan Crandon, who might well be the next coach of Windies.

I don't know about anyone else, but I've really enjoyed the first class season this year.
From Tage's marathon stays at the crease to Lendll coming back to help the staggering Trinis.

Who can forget the Bramble 150+ and Alzarri making the Trinis taste some leather...
Good young cricketers coming through, Brandon King, Romario Shepherd, etc.

With new President just being elected, I hope to see it improve by leaps and bounds.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I may have been a touch mean, had a ****** morning, but the fact remains the gap in quality between the 4 day franchise competition and the 3 day provincial stuff is so vast you could fit Table Mountain into it

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Pakistani competition is of a state where if you have a bowler who's averaging 19 you have no clue whatsoever if they'll be brilliant or rubbish at international level.

SillyCowCorner1

The Pakistani competition is of a state where if you have a bowler who's averaging 19 you have no clue whatsoever if they'll be brilliant or rubbish at international level.
That's the Windies FC competition you're confusing this with.

Some of our spinners are averaging in the teens: Rakheem, Permaul, Motie-Kanhai