• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Season 2018/19

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wade a isn't test class keeper
This has been widely accepted fact for a while and it was very true back when Wade was first in the Test side but after watching plenty of both him and Paine keeping this year there really doesn't seem much difference. Paine has made big mistakes and Wade has hardly made many at all. I'd still rate Paine as a better keeper but not by as much as the "Wade bad keeper" meme implies.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Paine has been far more reliable with the bat at test level than Wade though

Despite Wade being clearly the better bat at FC level Paine averages 7 more from the same amount of tests

Like a Hick-Hussain situation. Sometimes the less talented player can rise to the occasion better at the top level

Last edited:

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
Paine is not the greatest batsman but his selection signalled that the selectors had decided to pick the best gloveman and were not putting as much emphasis on batting ability.

Perhaps his test average flatters him a bit but an average of 35 is not terrible. With a reasonably strong batting tail behind him I think it is not a problem. If Cummins continues to perform with the bat then maybe he can swap with Paine.

What needs to improve is the top 6 scoring runs. If Smith comes back somewhere near his normal level then that will be a huge boost.

Carey is probably going to be a better batsman than Paine, he managed to score a century and average 75 in limited shield appearances this season.

TheJediBrah

Paine has been far more reliable with the bat at test level than Wade though

Despite Wade being clearly the better bat at FC level Paine averages 7 more from the same amount of tests

Like a Hick-Hussain situation. Sometimes the less talented player can rise to the occasion better at the top level
Yeah I just don't like Paine right now for some reason

Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

stephen

No one ever said anything about dropping Paine. It was only ever about bringing a keeper over for the A side. Carey seems to be Paine's anointed successor after Smith is allowed to captain again so we might as well give him the experience.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
No one ever said anything about dropping Paine. It was only ever about bringing a keeper over for the A side. Carey seems to be Paine's anointed successor after Smith is allowed to captain again so we might as well give him the experience.
Carey cannot be in the World Cup squad and the A tour squad.

trundler

Paine has been fine. Don't fix what isn't broken. Smith needs to churn out some big tons and Australia will dominate again.

Top_Cat

Carey won’t get a go until Paine gives it away, personally. He’s a marginally worse stumper and no real improvement with the bat but as long as Paine’s there are skipper, the debate is academic.

How Wade fits in, not sure. I don’t agree he should be picked as a bat in a world where Smith and Warner are in the line-up and he won’t get the gig as ‘keeper. You’d love to reward form but might just be bad luck for him at the moment.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
Carey won’t get a go until Paine gives it away, personally. He’s a marginally worse stumper and no real improvement with the bat but as long as Paine’s there are skipper, the debate is academic.

How Wade fits in, not sure. I don’t agree he should be picked as a bat in a world where Smith and Warner are in the line-up and he won’t get the gig as ‘keeper. You’d love to reward form but might just be bad luck for him at the moment.

Wade does not fit in the selectors plans at all in my view. He will not go on the A tour and he will never play for Australia again unless there is a large number of keepers injured.

TheJediBrah

Now with the way the points work, could NSW conceivably still win this without winning outright if they make enough runs without losing too many wickets?

Like if they are 2-300 at stumps wouldn't they have more points than Vic?

mr_mister

Now with the way the points work, could NSW conceivably still win this without winning outright if they make enough runs without losing too many wickets?

Like if they are 2-300 at stumps wouldn't they have more points than Vic?
The points I think are the first 100 overs of each first innings

Spikey

thankfully the target is below 400 so NSW don't automatically lose

(for real, with so much time to bat I'd be disappointed if they didn't give this a fair shake. they basically don't need to play an attacking shot unless it goes onto their pads)

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
Hughes and Patterson have given NSW a base which gives them a slim chance of winning. However with the batting to come I still think it is a slim chance, these two need to continue their partnership for a long time.

Burgey

Jason Sangha, ladies and gentlemen.

If he’s the future, cricket in Australia is ****ed

Spikey

he got done at the non strikers end...? more concerned at moz going at a SR of 100 and smashing a drive down the pitch tbh