• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka Tour of South Africa 2019

Slifer

International Captain
Quite possibly. I vaguely remember India drawing a series in Australia back in the early 2000s when Agarkar bowled them to victory in one of the tests, but this may well be the bigger shock. Going further back, India's 1971 win in England was a massive surprise. And going even further back, Pakistan drawing in England in the mid1950s was completely unexpected. But this may well be the biggest of the lot.
Imo it is. Rsa were at full strength. The series where India drew away to oz, McGrath was missing and Gillespie was in and out due to injuries. Warne was missing too, but India eats him for breakfast so maybe that was a blessing in disguise. Either way, I cant think of a series win as unexpected as this. And a white wash (technically) at that.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
What do we make of Steyn's figures? Didn't watch the match but still a bit shocking he went wicketless. An aberration, but still.
It's tough to know. There's definitely something still in the tank, and he merits his place in the XI for sure.

However, SA have to be careful about this. They don't want to be in a situation this time next year where Dale Steyn is getting picked because he's Dale Steyn. If Nortje or another promising quick is a better selection, then he should make way. Dale has that type of personality whereby I feel he won't block the development of another quick by playing too long.

Personally, I want to see Dale exit when he's still got something left in him, but feels it's the right time for the next-gen to take over. I desperately want him in and around the coaching set up as well, and I've heard he aspires to do this

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
The greatest test series result in SL history, right up there for all SC teams too.

While this isn't the strongest SA team, and the matches were played on late season pitches at two of the slower and drier venues in SA, but that is more than balanced out by the fact that Sri Lanka's first choice seamers apart from Lakmal were unavailable, the spinner was on debut (then injured after 6 overs in the 2nd test!), the two most experienced and talented batsmen on the island were out and there was general off-field turmoil going on at the end of a long touring season (that had yielded **** all success up to that point - while SA was stable and coming off 2 series victories at home).

Embuldeniya's 2nd innings performance at Durban was immense, up there with Herath's from 6 years ago, the pace trio twice gave us a headstart, then clawed us back into the game after the batters gave up first innings leads, that was really something to do away from home, when we all saw how things had panned out in similar situations in NZ and Aus previously.

In spite of everything, there is still a bit of paper covering the cracks, looking back at the last three tours...
- Dimuth has been poor since the England series, got starts, but didn't kick on once
- Thirimanne hasn't progressed at all since 2013
- Mendis played two match defining knocks, but did nothing in between (except take some ripping catches)
- DdS was also poor bar that 40 odd in the 2nd dig at Durban and his bowling in the 2nd dig yesterday
- Embuldenyia was awesome on debut, but there are still some question marks about how our spin line-up will look at home following the WC, hopefully the pitches back home will offer something to the seamers now that our pacers have established themselves so emphatically here in SA.

The emergance of Kusal Perera, Vishwa Fernando and BOP was very timely, Dickwella has been a bit of a revelation these tours too, some great efforts in back to the wall operations. Lakmal has announced himself as a very consistent, tenacious and occasionally deadly seamer, while Rajitha was able to back up his good work in WI and show a bit of aggression, he had a bit of a wicket-taking knack at times this tour, was a bit unlucky at Canberra I thought. The fielding has obviously improved a fair bit, there were some lapses (looking at you Thirimanne) but on the whole the attitude seems to have improved. Once thing that hasn't settled is the leadership problems, I don't really understand who our first choice captain is, I guess Dimuth is being looked at as a semi-permanent alternative, and Lakmal was really just a fill-in back at home against the Saffers.

When we next play at home (August I think, against NZ) I'm guessing the team would look something like...

Dimuth (c)
BOP
Mendis
Chandimal/DdS
Kusal
Matthews
Dickwella
Embuldeniya
Lakmal
Vishwa
Sandakan (possibly Akila if his remodelled action is effective in ODIs)

DdS is an option at the top of the order too - he opens for his club, but his main success at test level has come down the order, certainly didn't seem to have the technique for it from what I saw in Aus. I'm fairly confident that for the time being, Roshen Silva, Gunathalika, Dilruwan Perera and Thirimanne will be out of the picture for a while.

Such a wild result, tops the England tour from 2014 and the 3-0 sweep of Aus in 2016 by miles

Bijed

International Regular
I know I'm a little late to the party here, but I'd just like to say we'll done Sri Lanka! When I realised they were touring South Africa my immediate reaction was ''this'll be free wickets for Steyn and Co, then'' and I thought some of the SA batsmen would fill their boots too. I like SA, but I like SL too and I'm a perennial supporter of the underdog, so I'm glad to have been proved wrong :)

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is Philander the most underrated cricketer ever? Him being missing for this series definitely hurt South Africa. He's won series for South Africa home and away (most notably by destroying Australia three years ago).

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
this really is the pits for saf. australia at least had the excuse of missing Smith and Warner. No one was giving Srl, a team who always suck in SENA, a sniff before this series. Id consider actually asking AB to reconsider his retirement, this batting was being held together by him the previous summer and it's showing now.
And more importantly

1. India >> Sri Lanka
2. Australia won a Test against India....and more significantly blew Sri Lanka out of the water.

morgieb

Fairly remarkable result nonetheless. Biggest series upset I can remember. Sri Lanka's bowling was seriously good.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Is Philander the most underrated cricketer ever? Him being missing for this series definitely hurt South Africa. He's won series for South Africa home and away (most notably by destroying Australia three years ago).
The funny thing about Philander is that he averages worse against the lower ranked teams (Zim 35.66, Bang 32.50, WI 29.33).

When Vernon is fit he really is a tremendous bowler but the fact that he seems to get injured mid Test a fair bit makes me rate him a little less. Do the majority of people rate Philander as high as Shaun Pollock or not?

MagicPoopShovel

U19 12th Man
This is stunning, still in disbelief tbh. That 3rd day turned in to a bit of a jaunt. Clinical in the end.

Not sure where to start really. Quite obviously the greatest achievement by our Test side. I think most would rank this on par with the 96 WC win but to me, with Tests being the most important format, I would say this is the greatest feat by SL in cricket, ever.

While I am enjoying the win, this has to be looked at as a stepping stone for greater things. That NZ engagement after the WC is our first in the WTC. A good win there could really set us up to do well in that League. It is very pleasing to see that this was built on the back of young players and also our most consistent cricket in a while with the ball. We've consistently had teams 3 or 4 down in each of the NZ / Aus/ SA tours but only in these 2 tests did we drive home that advantage.

Plenty of hard yards to be done with the batting, especially with first innings runs. Guys like Mendis and DDS are too inconsistent. Dimuth's not kicking on like he did a year or so ago. The leadership is all up in the air.

There is also plenty of stuff going on back home with the Sports Minister and the new SLC president (a straw man for Sumathipala it seems) and all the battles with Hathurusingha.

I just really hope that this is a turning point and not an aberration.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
So on the basis of form in test cricket in the last year or so we can say

SL are better than SA who are better than NZ who are better than WI who are better than ENG who are better than IND who are banning PAK who are better than AUS who are better than SL.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
It's tough to know. There's definitely something still in the tank, and he merits his place in the XI for sure.

However, SA have to be careful about this. They don't want to be in a situation this time next year where Dale Steyn is getting picked because he's Dale Steyn. If Nortje or another promising quick is a better selection, then he should make way. Dale has that type of personality whereby I feel he won't block the development of another quick by playing too long.

Personally, I want to see Dale exit when he's still got something left in him, but feels it's the right time for the next-gen to take over. I desperately want him in and around the coaching set up as well, and I've heard he aspires to do this
Steyn definitely hasn't been quite the same bowler since his 2 years out of the game. He's taken 22 wickets at 35 since his comeback against India, in what have been - by and large - relatively low scoring test matches. I'm not writing him off, but I agree the selectors need to be dispassionate when it comes time to choose the bowling attack for next season, and maybe Steyn does too.

flibbertyjibber

Been away for a few days and missed this. What a performance by Sri Lanka, fantastic after a wretched few months getting beaten easily by England and Australia. Has to count as the biggest shock series result of all time.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Amla left out but still no spot for markram...
It seems pretty clear they're not looking at him as a potential World Cup option. Van der Dussen and Hendricks came into the side and scored runs, so have overtaken Markram in the pecking order.

Stefan9

International Debutant
It seems pretty clear they're not looking at him as a potential World Cup option. Van der Dussen and Hendricks came into the side and scored runs, so have overtaken Markram in the pecking order.
Bad decision making then. I know who I am backing in a big match requiring bmt and it ain't reeza or rassie nor amla....