• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of Australia 2018/19

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maxwell should play in Sydney but won’t, of course. But as others have noted, the trouble is at the top of the order. Harris is no better than Renshaw thus far, Finch somehow got to play test cricket while falling over to the off side and Khawaja has regressed when he was most needed to step up - no surprise there, he’s always been as mentally tough as a marshmallow. His dig in the UAE was, frankly, completely out of character for a bloke who generally displays none.

Everyone know Darsh is mostly rubbish with one good dig a year and Head is also unproven. But the real problems are in the top three.

Zinzan

Yeah I'm not a fan of Stoinis for the test side. He's mediocre at first class cricket and is just have a purple patch (which isn't even that purple).
Not claiming to be an authority on Australian FC cricket, but everything I’ve seen of Stoinis suggests he’s a Whiteball all rounder but not red.

Burgey

These two are very obdurate and have excellent defensive technique. Need to nip them out quickly or they'll put up 150 or so.

I'm happy we've finally had some luck with the toss and the advantage of conditions in this series after England, we've more than deserved it. If there was any justice in the world, England would lose the next 10 tosses in a row against us.
This is a woeful post.

OverratedSanity

Maxwell should play in Sydney but won’t, of course. But as others have noted, the trouble is at the top of the order. Harris is no better than Renshaw thus far, Finch somehow got to play test cricket while falling over to the off side and Khawaja has regressed when he was most needed to step up - no surprise there, he’s always been as mentally tough as a marshmallow. His dig in the UAE was, frankly, completely out of character for a bloke who generally displays none.

Everyone know Darsh is mostly rubbish with one good dig a year and Head is also unproven. But the real problems are in the top three.
What happened to Burns? Don't think he was that terrible. Better than Finch at the very least.

morgieb

At least Khawaja has a bit of an excuse with the injury and the **** with his brother. Finch's selection as an opener kinda payed off in the UAE but it was never going to work here.

morgieb

What happened to Burns? Don't think he was that terrible. Better than Finch at the very least.
The idea I think was for Khawaja and Renshaw to be the main openers and for Finch to bat 5/6. Renshaw's injury and Finch doing OK in the UAE put paid to that though, then Shield form kicked in and Burns failed to outperform Harris.

One wonders whether there's an anti-Queensland bias in the selections though.....

TheJediBrah

One wonders whether there's an anti-Queensland bias in the selections though.....
The baffling catapulting of Labuschagne into the Test team for UAE (and Neser and Doggett, especially Doggett) would indicate not

The selectors just suck. I mean Peter Siddle is the back up bowler wtf is with that

morgieb

Jadeja just outbowled Lyon. In Australia. On a road.
Jadeja's not having all his catches dropped though :p

Plus one's bowling to Australian batsmen, the other to Indian batsmen. And the pitch is doing more now than what it was Day 1.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
He's been doing that recently though. Someone posted about him averaging 40 with the bat and 20 something with the ball this season supposedly.
Yeah 300ish runs at 42 this season. No tons.

Meanwhile, the current top order:

1. Finch -- 50 @ 25.50 (1 match)
2. Harris -- 501 @ 71.57 (5 matches)
3. Khawaja -- 59 @ 29.50 (1 match)
4. Marsh -- 443 @ 88.60 (3 matches)
5. Head -- 169 @ 33.80 (3 matches)
6. Marsh -- 264 @ 37.71 (4 matches)
7. Paine -- 107 @ 26.75 (3 matches)

12. Handscomb -- 361 @ 45.12 (5 matches)

Look I'm pretty open in that I've backed Marsh previously and don't rate Stoinis, so I get that this next point will feel like mental gymnastics to justify that prior support. But honestly, I'm getting to the point where I wonder if the difference between Shield cricket and Test cricket is so huge that the stats literally don't matter any more.

Shaun Marsh constantly makes big Shield runs these days and has been through an extended lean trot at Test level. Mitch Marsh is not discernibly worse than the likes of Stoinis and Henriques at Shield level, but can't buy a Test run. Marcus Harris is the form batsman of the past few years and has spent his (admittedly short) Test career looking like the WA version of himself with breezy 20-odds ending in poor dismissals. The only member of that top seven who has met or exceeded expectations is Paine -- whose FC record is rubbish and should never have been picked based on typical selection processes.

****ed if I know how to fix that.