• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2018/19

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Warner doesn't meet the new selection criteria of being a 'good bloke'

Being serious though, how hard will it be for Smith and Warner to just pick up where they left after a year without any top level cricket before the Ashes
I’d expect them to cop plenty from the Soap Dodgers in the English crowds. I expect Warner to react to it. How Smith goes will depend on whether he gets in that bubble of his.

For all his faults as a bloke, Warne’s ability to conpartmentalise between his emotions when his personal life went to **** and his cricket was absolutely elite. Difference was he was constantly playing I suppose. Have to see if Smith can set aside the other stuff and just get back into it straight away.

OverratedSanity

As if they don't pick Warner

They definitely will
They should, too.

I despise the guy but love watching him bat. Pick the best players available. Plus, I'd love to see him squirm like a git and get mercilessly sledged by opposing teams and crowds without being able to fire back much (or maybe he would which would be just as fun) in fear of tarnishing his reputation further. It's the main reason I didn't want him and Smith banned.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Regardless of the fact he's the second best bat in the country you can tell this whole new anti sledge culture is already kaput. Paine has been universally praised for his verbals

stephen

Regardless of the fact he's the second best bat in the country you can tell this whole new anti sledge culture is already kaput. Paine has been universally praised for his verbals
Yeah but only because they haven't crossed "the line". Wherever that's supposed to be.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I’d expect them to cop plenty from the Soap Dodgers in the English crowds. I expect Warner to react to it. How Smith goes will depend on whether he gets in that bubble of his.

For all his faults as a bloke, Warne’s ability to conpartmentalise between his emotions when his personal life went to **** and his cricket was absolutely elite. Difference was he was constantly playing I suppose. Have to see if Smith can set aside the other stuff and just get back into it straight away.
There's reports they can't stand each other. Obviously the official party line is that they'll be willing to play together, but whether Warner comes back will reveal how disruptive to harmony they believe him to be.

It's easy to forget that for all the controversy around him, he's a truly great opening batsman, one of the best ever.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Why do you people ignore Renshaw?
I ignored him because I picked a batting lineup that I think we will pick and he hasnt done enough to get back into the team.

If he cant make it now ita only going to get harder when bancroft who is like a son to the coach is available.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, but dont you think it screams JL and is somewhat realistic. Bancroft and Harris on paper seems like it could work and I bet Bancroft doesnt have to do much to win over the selectors.
Yeah true, that lineup is pretty much peak Langer.

Personally not keen though, think Head would have a right to feel somewhat ripped off though. MMarsh should only be considered if he can pull his weight with the ball as well, clearly he shouldn't be considered a chance on batting alone

Burgey

Warner got cleaned up by noted Parramatta nude nut Brad Taylor in his side’s loss to the defending premiers today. BT with 5/18 odd in a low scoring affair. Was probably only playing because Copperfield couldn’t bowl and played twos as a batsman.

EACAAD0D-7FB4-4CEF-9006-F6A2431D7E1B.jpeg

Meanwhile, TPC with a run a ball 112 in Sutherland’s nine wicket romp vs St George

Last edited:

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
What will Australia's top 6 look like for the Ashes next year?

Warner
Harris
Khawaja
Smith
Finch
Head

Is my pick at this stage.
This.

Renshaw should be in the conversation at the top of the order if Warner is undercooked. And the 6th spot will be a bat-off between Shaun Marsh and Travis Head between now and then.

Last edited:

kingkallis

International Coach
Harris looks decent. Finch is not an opening material for sure.

Renshaw
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
-
Head
-

Even Labuschagne didn't look that bad.

stephen

I don't know why everyone is talking about Renshaw. Bancroft is easily closer to actually getting picked than Renshaw.

Renshaw is the new Hayden - makes heaps of runs at domestic level but gets ignored by selectors for reasons.

TheJediBrah

I don't know why everyone is talking about Renshaw. Bancroft is easily closer to actually getting picked than Renshaw.

Renshaw is the new Hayden - makes heaps of runs at domestic level but gets ignored by selectors for reasons.
nah Hayden didn't go missing and make **** all in the Shield every time selection was up for grabs. Face it, Renshaw hasn't deserved selection since he was dropped