• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Given the familiarity of our boys in our conditions and the Indian guys visiting NZ for the first time I thought we will roll them over in Hamilton with the green deck and overhead conditions. Not to be... It's not been much of a bowler's series so far.

Immenso

Here is a quizz.

See if you can name NZ's all time statistical 11 based on the following crieteria.

Batting position by batting average (minimum 1000 runs):
Openers, 3, 4, 5 , 6

Wicket Keeper: by dismissals per innings (as designated keeper), (min 20 tests as keeper).

2 x Opening bowlers: by bowling average (minimum 50 wickets).

1 x '3rd/4th seamer': by bowling average (minimum 50 wickets).

Spinner: by bowling average in 3rd and 4th innings only (minimum 50 wickets).

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I am not the best at these things but without looking up any averages on cricinfo:

Richardson
Turner
Williamson
Taylor
_
_
Ian Smith
Hadlee
Boult
Wagner
J Bracewell

Few ideas for 5 and 6 as most batsmen that spring to mind batted in the top 4. I have a feeling Craig McMillan might be up there as number 5, but I hope someone's average was higher than his.

Suspect someone from the early days has a better average than Boult, though I don't know who.

The Hutt Rec

Your team looks pretty good ... maybe Cairns for 6? He batted there quite often from memory. Couldn’t even guess who 5 would be.

vandem

International 12th Man
without looking up cricinfo:

Richardson
Turner
Williamson
Taylor
Nicholls
Coney
Smith
Hadlee
Bond
Cowie
J Bracewell

Immenso

I am not the best at these things but without looking up any averages on cricinfo:

Richardson
Turner
Williamson
Taylor
_
_
Ian Smith
Hadlee
Boult
Wagner
J Bracewell

Few ideas for 5 and 6 as most batsmen that spring to mind batted in the top 4. I have a feeling Craig McMillan might be up there as number 5, but I hope someone's average was higher than his.

Suspect someone from the early days has a better average than Boult, though I don't know who.
4 out of 11.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Your team looks pretty good ... maybe Cairns for 6? He batted there quite often from memory. Couldn’t even guess who 5 would be.
Cairns is as decent a guess as any - NZ would've usually played an allrounder at 6 I guess, so Cairns, Coney, JR Reid. Or Watling, though dunno if he'd have 1000 runs at 6.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Eh no Richardson, Williamson, Taylor a surprise.

Maybe Crowe has a higher average than Taylor at 4 after all?

Try Warren Lees for keeper.

Immenso

Yes to Reid at 3 and Baz at 5.

Correct so far

1. Turner
3. J F Reid
4. Crowe
5. McCullum
6. Coney

Hadlee
Bond
Wagner
Bracewell

Keeper and second opener still remaining.