• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Coronis

International Coach
An XI from WSC cricketers. (no hadlee cos he only played the ODI’s)

Greenidge
Richards
Richards
Chappell
Miandad
Procter
Marsh+
Imran*
Lillee
Garner
Underwood

Might replace Garner with another batsman for better balance later but its 3am and i cbf checking them.

Coronis

International Coach
Is Proctor a top 6 batsman though? I obviously never saw him. I believe Imran wasn't.
He often played in the middle order in first class cricket, up to 4 iirc. I'd be fine with bumping him down and removing Garner, but I'm not sure who to replace him with. Walters, Kanhai, Abbas? Oh and just realised Knott played too, so he'll take Marsh's spot.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
Greenidge
Richards
Richards
Chappell
Walters
Miandad
Procter
Imran*
Knott+
Lillee
Underwood
I like your earlier team... Miandad at 6 is looking forced to me. There was nothing wrong with the first team; may be Knott can replace marsh. but the balance is right otherwise.

Five all-time great batsmen from 1 to 5. All attacking and dominant. Four fast bowlers with great striking ability and of varying bounce, swing and pace. One great spinner. Possibly the best wicket keeper in history also famous for late order batting exploits. Two all rounders who can bat and bowl with equal force. Terrific slip cordon and close in catchers. Killer team overall.

CG Greenidge
BA Richards
Viv Richards
GS Chappell *
Javed Miandad
Mike Procter
Imran Khan
Alan Knott+
DK Lillee
Joel Garner
DL Underwood

Last edited:

Coronis

International Coach
Fair enough, shouldn’t second guess myself :P So used to having ATG batsman down to 6 but I guess thats a luxury Sobers/Kallis provide that most teams won’t have.

bagapath

International Captain
Fair enough, shouldn’t second guess myself :P So used to having ATG batsman down to 6 but I guess thats a luxury Sobers/Kallis provide that most teams won’t have.
as an aside, Ksllis is not a no 6 at all. his style would be less effective and less useful to the team if he comes in so late. in fact, in his long career, he batted at no 3, 78 times; at no 4, 170 times. but at no 6, he batted only 8 times.
this kind of makes the middle order choices less complicated when you choose ATG teams. Bradman at 3. Sachin or Lara at 4. Viv at 5 and Sobers at 6 for the win.

Bolo

State Captain
You don't need to play your AR at 6 though. Kallis is ideal at 4. Lara would be ideal at 6. Any of the others would be great at 5.

Ofc, I rate Lara and Kallis the weakest bats, so they don't make my team in the first place, but that's another issue.

bagapath

International Captain
From the hundreds of Dream XIs selected by fans and experts over the years, the locks seem to be...

Bradman
Viv Richards
Gary Sobers

The wicket keeper is either Adam Gilchrist or Alan Knott

then depending on your mood

the openers come out of: Hutton, Hobbs, Gavaskar, Grace

the other middle order batsmen from: Tendulkar, Lara, Hammond, Kallis

the bowling allrounder from (or allrounders depending on the balance): Imran, Hadlee, Akram

the main spinner will be one of: Warne, O'Reilley, Murali

the fast bowlers out of: Lillee, Marshall, McGrath, Steyn, Barnes

Two ATG teams in most cases look somewhat like

Hobbs
Grace
Bradman
Richards
Tendulkar
Sobers
Knott +
Marshall
Warne
Barnes
McGrath

12th man: Murali

Gavaskar
Hutton
Lara
Kallis
Hammond
Imran
Gilchrist +
Hadlee
Akram
Lillee
O'Reilley

12th man: Steyn

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Imagine Sobers and Gilchrist going at it for a session or two.

Coronis

International Coach
Tendulkar is far more of a lock for me than Richards, as you can probably tell.

fwiw my 2nd XI today would be

Hutton
Gavaskar
Headley
Lara
Chappell
Kallis
Imran*
Knott+
Hadlee
Steyn
Murali

tbh Smith gunning for a position there

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
I disagree that Viv Richards is a lock in most all time XIs. Jack Hobbs and Malcolm Marshall seem to be selected at least as often if not more so, but neither of these are real locks.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
they do. Richard Sydenham's book about 100 legends selecting their dream XI is my airport favorite on kindle
Then honestly they need their heads read. It doesn't matter how good Knott was as a keeper, the gap between his keeping and Gilchrist's keeping can't make up for all the tests Gilchrist won off the back of his batting.

It's not like Gilchrist was at Wade levels with three gloves either. He might have dropped one catch every four or five tests at most. And he was tested against both world class spin and pace behind the stumps.