• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of England 2018

Jack1

International Debutant
There's nothing worse than a clueless defensive batsmen like Vandort or Pujara. Worst sight on a cricket field after crap finger spin.

Keaton Jennings is in this boat too (obviously). Career SR quite comfortably under Cook in tests with 24 career average in 9 Tests.

Mediocre medium fast bowling is in this club too. Especially if it's wayward.

Jack1

International Debutant
Not really. Wouldn't mind seeing Ashwin as captain.
Kohli is ok in my view, perfectly ok. Just being let down by his team. Kohli cap Ashwin vice seems good. Then Kohli fronts up to media etc and Ashwin is more the brains of the operation. To be fair Kohli himself isn't a bad captain.

Right now I don't know who the vice is btw, who is it?

Jack1

International Debutant
It would appropriately round out India's tour if he opened or batted three, copped one on the glove with the new ball and was out of the series.

Not that I want to see it happen, but it would fit beautifully into the way the whole tour has gone.. And give India another excuse for their pathetic performance, meaning they'll do nothing to remedy it ahead of the Australian summer.
At least trying something different gives them a chance. I do agree India may as well fold if he gets injured though (plus Kohli). Imagine if Kohli and Ashwin got injured before the next test. Lol just lol

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As I said earlier, it's nice to see focus on India's batting, though. Almost a meme that when the Aussie bats get decimated by the English bowlers all the talk is which 3rd bowler to drop in response.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Ashwin can't be captain he is too weird, imagine the amount of inane (but funny) gibberish you'd get in a team meeting.

Kohli would punch him.

FBU

International Debutant
I am probably the only one who thinks India are fine, just replace Kuldeep with Bumrah. Anderson said that they probably would have bowled England's batsmen out as well in those conditions.

anaksr

U19 Debutant
Kohli is ok in my view, perfectly ok. Just being let down by his team. Kohli cap Ashwin vice seems good. Then Kohli fronts up to media etc and Ashwin is more the brains of the operation. To be fair Kohli himself isn't a bad captain.

Right now I don't know who the vice is btw, who is it?
These are few gems from Virat collection:

SA Tour:-

1) Persisting with Rohit in saffers tests when everyone is sure that he just not into it.

2) Dropping vc Rahane

3) Keeping so called Hardik

4) Biggest of all. Dropping bhuvi

England Tour:-

1) Allowing Bhuvi to play that useless Shiite LO match so that our main bowler aggravates his injury and is out of test series.
2)Playing one spinner when two were required in 1st test
3)Playing two spinners when three genuine pacers were required in 2nd test under cloudy conditions.(common sense)
4) Not bowling Ashwin for a very lengthy time in 2nd innings.

These are highlighted gems of his. If we start counting then there will be no ending. I somehow feel that whatever success he had in LO is because Dhoni as he helps him. Otherwise he would have same in that format too.

If you still consider him to be ok captain then world is a weird place.

Daemon

1) Persisting with Rohit in saffers tests when everyone is sure that he just not into it.

2) Dropping vc Rahane

1) Allowing Bhuvi to play that useless Shiite LO match so that our main bowler aggravates his injury and is out of test series.
3)Playing two spinners when three genuine pacers were required in 2nd test under cloudy conditions.(common sense)

These are highlighted gems of his. If we start counting then there will be no ending. I somehow feel that whatever success he had in LO is because Dhoni as he helps him. Otherwise he would have same in that format too.

Bit of a reach in terms of selections for the England tour. If Bhuvi was going to play an LO game and get injured, he could've very well broken down in the middle of a Test. I can accept the Kuldeep thing, but it's just a blip on the radar when compared to some of his other selections.

His biggest crime is keeping himself in the slip cordon.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
This might be an unpopular opinion here, since the consensus is that he's been pretty poor, but I think Root makes a better test captain than Kohli. I think Kohli's too volatile to be honest. Constant chopping and changing just doesn't help his team's situation whatsoever, and I think this has played a very significant role in the team's downfall thus far.

I think something has to be said about the negative aspect of his intensity as well. I don't think it works particularly well in conjunction with the nature of his team. I get the impression that his teammates, who are already never really assured of their place in the starting XI, are being forced to play at a certain level of intensity that is unfamiliar to them, and as an expected standard of their performance. Pujara is the best example I can think of. I think it was in SA where Kohli commented on his intent, and then his runout problem escalated. In reality, in an era where test matches are regularly finishing with a couple of days left to play, Pujara didn't really have to change. He averages 50 afterall ffs. Not everyone performs at their best when trying to be 'fired up' and dominate the opposition in all faucets. It can be overbearing, and in the case of Pujara, he has been a shadow of his former self.

Of course, the flip side is that Kohli's own performances have elevated as captain. At best, you could say Root has stagnated. But in terms of pure team management skills and tactics I think Root has been more successful.

OverratedSanity

Bit of a reach in terms of selections for the England tour. If Bhuvi was going to play an LO game and get injured, he could've very well broken down in the middle of a Test.
That's a dumb thing to say. You give him more chance of not breaking down by giving him rest before the tests. Playing him in a format he's not even good at was a terrible decision. Could he have broken down during the tests? Maybe. That doesnt mean you break him before the tests even begin and remove all doubt.

If anything I understand the Kuldeep over umesh thing more. People kinda expected the pitch to be much drier. They just misread it which happens.

Spark

Global Moderator
This might be an unpopular opinion here, since the consensus is that he's been pretty poor, but I think Root makes a better test captain than Kohli. I think Kohli's too volatile to be honest. Constant chopping and changing just doesn't help his team's situation whatsoever, and I think this has played a very significant role in the team's downfall thus far.

I think something has to be said about the negative aspect of his intensity as well. I don't think it works particularly well in conjunction with the nature of his team. I get the impression that his teammates, who are already never really assured of their place in the starting XI, are being forced to play at a certain level of intensity that is unfamiliar to them, and as an expected standard of their performance. Pujara is the best example I can think of. I think it was in SA where Kohli commented on his intent, and then his runout problem escalated. In reality, in an era where test matches are regularly finishing with a couple of days left to play, Pujara didn't really have to change. He averages 50 afterall ffs. Not everyone performs at their best when trying to be 'fired up' and dominate the opposition in all faucets. It can be overbearing, and in the case of Pujara, he has been a shadow of his former self.

Of course, the flip side is that Kohli's own performances have elevated as captain. At best, you could say Root has stagnated. But in terms of pure team management skills and tactics I think Root has been more successful.
tbh a lot of posters here aren't exactly keen on kohli's captaincy, outside of his batting. with root's captaincy, i think it's that some of the tactics are strange sometimes and his batting has kind of flatlined into semi-mediocrity for some reason.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't mind Kohli's actual captaincy; they just need to structure their management better so he doesn't have so much say over selection (or at least put someone with a more sensible selection philosophy than him - ie. not Shastri - on the panel to balance it out). On-field he's definitely better than Root IMO.

Shri

Mr. Glass
It would appropriately round out India's tour if he opened or batted three, copped one on the glove with the new ball and was out of the series.

Not that I want to see it happen, but it would fit beautifully into the way the whole tour has gone.. And give India another excuse for their pathetic performance, meaning they'll do nothing to remedy it ahead of the Australian summer.
Aus will be an easier series than this tbf.

Jack1

International Debutant
I am probably the only one who thinks India are fine, just replace Kuldeep with Bumrah. Anderson said that they probably would have bowled England's batsmen out as well in those conditions.
Sounds like you've been smoking some of the good stuff to me

Jack1

International Debutant

2) Dropping vc Rahane

England tour they badly messed up selection first two tests. But I checked and there's a full selection committee involved. Harsh to just blame Kohli.

I know he's made mistakes, but all captains have and in my opinion he's a winner and a leader. He has a huge passion for winning and that's great to have in a captain. Just my opinion anyway and he's a superior captain and batsman to Root in my view.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
There's no doubting that he's an emotional guy but how does that wear on a team when things aren't going as well? There'd be some Indian batsmen working as hard as they can to try and produce and failing at the moment, afraid of being on the receiving end of a cook or being dropped. Kohli's talked in the IPL about having to just go and find others who want it enough, etc. last year; is he going to have the right effect on the players when things aren't going to plan?

To be fair, at the other end was Dhoni's non-plussed nature, which couldn't stop trips to England and Australia spiralling out of his control when things went wrong, even though it worked so often in shorter forms and overall was a plus for India.