• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of England 2018

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You make a good point John. Keep going I think you've almost nailed it. Why don't you start another thread on it? I'm very keen to hear your unique thoughts on the issue.

You and I, we're not ones to follow the herd. These guys with their big post counts think they run the show but they don't think about cricket like we do and can't accept that their outsdated mentality may be wrong sometimes.
Says the guy with a far bigger post count than the majority on here.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jennings is awful in the slips too, so he won't be a miss. I suppose it depends on the slip cordon, obviously right now Jennings and Cook are in it. But regardless of what happens Jennings must be dropped and Cook is running out of chances I'm sure. I don't know exactly where Gubbins or Burns would field for England, I don't know enough about their ability in the field in various positions.

I actually think England are going to have to contemplate giving Burns the captaincy and giving him a run with it and opening up. It would free Root up completely. I'm of the opinion that Root is a player that struggles with the pressure of captaincy (with the bat) whereas a player like Kohli thrives on it. If England find a new captain then Root might be making a shedload more runs (and more hundreds). Whether it's the best option or not we will probably never find out. But if Burns got told he had x amount of tests and would be captain as an experiment (minimum 10 probably) then it would be worth a go. If it failed then Root would return to the captaincy. It wouldn't hurt anyone if the team got the heads up. The reason I mention it is Burns captaining the Lions. Burns also is making a shedload of runs for Surrey with the captaincy, so clearly thrives on it (whereas Root seemingly does not). Just an idea..
Yeah give a complete rookie the captaincy just before the ashes, great plan.

CasMcG24

U19 Vice-Captain
I feel England need a mixture of talented young players and experienced players with many caps... Although I have to be honest Cook has out stayed his welcome and needs replacing.

Moonsorrow999

U19 Debutant
It’s fine he’ll make a hundred when the pressure is gone and the dead rubbers loom and all of the morons will say ‘told ya so Cook still has it’ followed by 12 poor scores.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like it is pissing it down today. Root should definitely declare and use whatever play occurs from now on to force a conclusion.

The worse news is that Monday's forecast now shows rain during the 2nd and 3rd sessions.
If that's right, and there's no play today, we're going to have to bowl them out in a single session.
42 all out anyone?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
So, after going 2-0 down in the series, what should be the playing eleven for India in the third test?
Catch 22: The wicket may be quite different from the ones that India have encountered so far.
Trent Bridge is famously a swinging venue.

CasMcG24

U19 Vice-Captain
The worse news is that Monday's forecast now shows rain during the 2nd and 3rd sessions.
If that's right, and there's no play today, we're going to have to bowl them out in a single session.
42 all out anyone?
If that's the case then declare now but I always feel the English lack the confidence to take the game to the opposition.

Moonsorrow999

U19 Debutant
If that's the case then declare now but I always feel the English lack the confidence to take the game to the opposition.
I suppose that game against the Windies could haunt Root a tad? No chance of anything like that happening though with the time left but still, not easily forgotten. Some of the big calls Root has had to make he has made the poor one.

CasMcG24

U19 Vice-Captain
I suppose that game against the Windies could haunt Root a tad? No chance of anything like that happening though with the time left but still, not easily forgotten. Some of the big calls Root has had to make he has made the poor one.
That's the gamble England need to be ruthless and have the bowlers to show no weakness... Just like Australia.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Will be a choke if there is no declaration.

Haven't seen a single minute of this game till now since I'm out. Hopefully catch up with some play tomorrow.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
It’s fine he’ll make a hundred when the pressure is gone and the dead rubbers loom and all of the morons will say ‘told ya so Cook still has it’ followed by 12 poor scores.
Yeah and he will do that while all we get out of the rest of the top order is a classic 50 from Root.

So tell us.....who the **** are we replacing him with? All very well saying he should be dropped.....but who's coming in?

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Have to declare now I agree. There's potentially enough time in the game with the excellent Lords drainage system. When they do get on India will struggle. England must not make a mistake with the next ball. They must give it to Anderson and Woakes. It would be terrible to see big head Broad get the new ball again when he doesn't deserve it. Broad is holding back Woakes. Woakes should be getting the new ball.
broad is holding woakes back?

hang on, before the past couple of days with the exception of the test under lights at adelaide woakes has bowled like absolute dog **** for about 2 years at test level.