• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of England 2018

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I see that by not taking advantage of a nice, bright and sunny morning and starting at 10 only 81 overs were bowled today due to bad light. Seriously England, get it into your thick skulls that there are better ways to make up overs than going on into the stygian gloom of the evening. Idiots.
But it looks like 2 to 3pm over there from 2pm to 10pm, maybe later there.

I don't know how anyone can sleep in London.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I see that by not taking advantage of a nice, bright and sunny morning and starting at 10 only 81 overs were bowled today due to bad light. Seriously England, get it into your thick skulls that there are better ways to make up overs than going on into the stygian gloom of the evening. Idiots.
Oh get stuffed, it stays light till after 8 normally even this time of year. Least it isn't a country where it is light at 5 and pitch bloody dark at 5.10.

Played bowls last night and we never stuck floodlights on till about 8.30. It was fine light until then and you could have played cricket till 8 where I was no problem.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, it's not like bad light at 6pm in Eng in the summer is any more of a likelihood than at any other time of the day there.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyway Chris Woakes....WAFG. Knew he had a test ton in him and so glad he finally has had the chance (ie play time) to do it.

Borges

International Regular
Anyway Chris Woakes....WAFG. Knew he had a test ton in him and so glad he finally has had the chance (ie play time) to do it.
Yes, Woakes, great etc.

But what do you make of this Lollipop?
Though his stay at the crease was brief, I thought he looked far more assured than the earlier candidates who were tried out for the #3/4 slot.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You said based on one game sunshine. Don't act a big man now. You don't rate Burns yet he outscores every other English opener by country miles in CC1. You sound like a moron. Don't say you don't rate him in tests either, he hasn't played one. If you don't rate him in FC cricket you're thick. He scores more runs than anyone else and the stats show it as fact on his career (apart from Cook) and this season. You only find out if someone is good enough for tests by picking him. Naturally he's the best option as he's the strongest FC opening option England have by a distance.

If you are thinking different then don't claim that you aren't picking Burns based off of one game. You are blatantly backtracking now as you realised how dumb it is to judge a player based on one game.

I'm relaxed actually, unlike you. Don't say something if you don't have the balls to stick to it. You are gutless.
You make a good point John. Keep going I think you've almost nailed it. Why don't you start another thread on it? I'm very keen to hear your unique thoughts on the issue.

You and I, we're not ones to follow the herd. These guys with their big post counts think they run the show but they don't think about cricket like we do and can't accept that their outsdated mentality may be wrong sometimes.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You make a good point John. Keep going I think you've almost nailed it. Why don't you start another thread on it? I'm very keen to hear your unique thoughts on the issue.

You and I, we're not ones to follow the herd. These guys with their big post counts think they run the show but they don't think about cricket like we do and can't accept that their outsdated mentality may be wrong sometimes.
This is why the term "forum atmosphere" gets shilled so hard because of ****ers like you.

Literally ruined this thread for me.

Borges

International Regular
So, after going 2-0 down in the series, what should be the playing eleven for India in the third test?
Catch 22: The wicket may be quite different from the ones that India have encountered so far.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Looks like it is pissing it down today. Root should definitely declare and use whatever play occurs from now on to force a conclusion.

Borges

International Regular
Looks like it is pissing it down today. Root should definitely declare and use whatever play occurs from now on to force a conclusion.
Yeah. India don't deserve to escape with a draw in this game. More, because of the way they bowled, than because of how they batted on a difficult first day.

Jack1

International Debutant
Have to declare now I agree. There's potentially enough time in the game with the excellent Lords drainage system. When they do get on India will struggle. England must not make a mistake with the next ball. They must give it to Anderson and Woakes. It would be terrible to see big head Broad get the new ball again when he doesn't deserve it. Broad is holding back Woakes. Woakes should be getting the new ball.

Jack1

International Debutant
He has raised a thorny question if Stokes is available for the next test. On merit, Woakes would stay in the team and Broad would step down; not just for his batting, but he bowled so well yesterday.
I agree. Broad would have to be dropped on the form of all the players. He may have the chance to answer us in India's 2nd inns..however...Woakes ought to be getting the new ball over him.

Jack1

International Debutant

I hear you

Jack1

International Debutant
Would be nice to see Gubbins and Burns start a partnership together, since they seem the only two in contention. Jennings has out-scored Cook in this series so far. Not saying I like Jennings, he's clearly s*** but he's no worse than Cook atm.
My doubt about Gubbins is his low FC average career. 36.71 right now. I am always sceptical picking any player that's averaging under 40 in FC cricket. I know it's England, but on recent evidence anyone England has picked averaging sub 40 (especially sub 37) in FC is completely out of their depth in test cricket.

I'm not completely again giving Gubbins a go. But Burns has surely got to be nailed on as next in line. I think someone could make an argument for dropping both openers at once, but that would risk upsetting the team balance and morale. It would put more pressure on Gubbins and Burns too. Ideally Burns comes in for Jennings and makes runs. If Cook continues to struggle with Burns then Gubbins comes in for him. One things for sure, Jennings has to be dropped.

Moonsorrow999

U19 Debutant
My doubt about Gubbins is his low FC average career. 36.71 right now. I am always sceptical picking any player that's averaging under 40 in FC cricket. I know it's England, but on recent evidence anyone England has picked averaging sub 40 (especially sub 37) in FC is completely out of their depth in test cricket.

I'm not completely again giving Gubbins a go. But Burns has surely got to be nailed on as next in line. I think someone could make an argument for dropping both openers at once, but that would risk upsetting the team balance and morale. It would put more pressure on Gubbins and Burns too. Ideally Burns comes in for Jennings and makes runs. If Cook continues to struggle with Burns then Gubbins comes in for him. One things for sure, Jennings has to be dropped.
But it can't hurt, surely? Cook looks out of his depth and has done for two years. Jennings looks awful too I agree, I just think they should bring in two new openers instead of just adding one to Cook and acting like he's not a problem.

Jack1

International Debutant
But it can't hurt, surely? Cook looks out of his depth and has done for two years. Jennings looks awful too I agree, I just think they should bring in two new openers instead of just adding one to Cook and acting like he's not a problem.
Jennings is awful in the slips too, so he won't be a miss. I suppose it depends on the slip cordon, obviously right now Jennings and Cook are in it. But regardless of what happens Jennings must be dropped and Cook is running out of chances I'm sure. I don't know exactly where Gubbins or Burns would field for England, I don't know enough about their ability in the field in various positions.

I actually think England are going to have to contemplate giving Burns the captaincy and giving him a run with it and opening up. It would free Root up completely. I'm of the opinion that Root is a player that struggles with the pressure of captaincy (with the bat) whereas a player like Kohli thrives on it. If England find a new captain then Root might be making a shedload more runs (and more hundreds). Whether it's the best option or not we will probably never find out. But if Burns got told he had x amount of tests and would be captain as an experiment (minimum 10 probably) then it would be worth a go. If it failed then Root would return to the captaincy. It wouldn't hurt anyone if the team got the heads up. The reason I mention it is Burns captaining the Lions. Burns also is making a shedload of runs for Surrey with the captaincy, so clearly thrives on it (whereas Root seemingly does not). Just an idea..