• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of England 2018

Spark

Global Moderator
I mean you can definitely improve at slips catching with practice, of course. But I agree with PEWs that as a skill it's much more about hand-eye coordination than it is about athleticism, so it's not going to improve as drastically as something like ground fielding or outfield catching. And while things like concentration can be improved with increased fitness levels, on day 1 of a test match in which a team is bowled out for a buck, it shouldn't have been an issue here either way.
Technique is a big part of it too. It didn't surprise me at all that Cook has an unusually high ratio of drops for such an experienced slipper, his catching technique isn't very good.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fair question. That is the problem with rankings: someone would be at the top, even if they aren't very good.
ICC points aside, which team should be considered to be (at least marginally) better than the others right now?
Before the disaster in Sri Lanka, i'd have confidently said South Africa. Who is it now? I suppose Pakistan, if they defeat Australia in their upcoming series.
Didn't Pakistan lose to Sri Lanka at home?

Like it or not I think India is still the best. Everyone is pretty average though, I don't think anyone would be Top 3 in an average year.

Jack1

International Debutant
India need to learn to bat. That was truly pathetic.

England have made them look like a club side in this game. Shame some of England's fielders can't catch a cold, otherwise this would have been a sub 80 score.

Anderson is by far the best seamer in world cricket. It's really not a contest at all. Only bitters claim otherwise that can't admit they are wrong about anything. Anderson right now at this level is the most skilled seamer ever. His average is sliding down at a ridiculous rate. 2018 version of Anderson is probably the best seam bowler in the history of test cricket.

As for Kohli. He's a good bat, but England need to STOP choking. He should have been out cheaply in the 1st test too. They were calling the 149 masterful. No hundred is masterful when you get dropped twice. He's been extremely lucky in this series. India should have been slaughtered in the first test, but England don't know how to catch.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Fairly sure that is from a few years ago, when he played some games for Durham.
Yeah I just realised after rewatching, they have reposted it without any kind of note. Shows how the game has changed in such a short space of time.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Horrible weather forecast for Days 4 and 5.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2638768

If that's right, it would suit England to be bowled out shortly after tea with a lead of about 125 and see if India can obligingly collapse again. But if England are still batting after tea, it's tricky for Root to time a declaration based on weather forecasts. All that being said, England are quite capable of being bowled out in a session and a half anyway. I think that covers everything.

Jack1

International Debutant
How the hell is that side number 1? They can't bat at all.
They are number 1 on merit. Despite my trolling of India in my previous post, an impossible problem for India is 2018 Anderson would bowl an ATG batting line up out for sub 100 on that wicket in those conditions if he bowled from both ends. Woakes bowled incredibly well too and was let down by pathetic fielding.

I will still consider India number 1 in tests on the basis of vs all oppositions home and away even if they lose 5-0.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
India need to learn to bat. That was truly pathetic.

England have made them look like a club side in this game. Shame some of England's fielders can't catch a cold, otherwise this would have been a sub 80 score.

Anderson is by far the best seamer in world cricket. It's really not a contest at all. Only bitters claim otherwise that can't admit they are wrong about anything. Anderson right now at this level is the most skilled seamer ever. His average is sliding down at a ridiculous rate. 2018 version of Anderson is probably the best seam bowler in the history of test cricket.

As for Kohli. He's a good bat, but England need to STOP choking. He should have been out cheaply in the 1st test too. They were calling the 149 masterful. No hundred is masterful when you get dropped twice. He's been extremely lucky in this series. India should have been slaughtered in the first test, but England don't know how to catch.
The best seam bowler in the history of cricket? He is bowling superbly with the Dukes, but he wouldn't make the current Australian and South African teams if he had to use the Kookaburra and he'd only be playing 3rd fiddle behind Boult and Wagner if in NZ

Daemon

Haha 3rd fiddle to boult and southee, good one

No way is he taking that away from Wagner :ph34r:

Jack1

International Debutant
Haha 3rd fiddle to boult and southee, good one

No way is he taking that away from Wagner :ph34r:
He's a comedian. He actually believes what he is writing that's the sad thing. He must have a negative IQ if he thinks Boult or Wagner would play over Anderson in any conditions, any wicket against any opposition.

OverratedSanity

He's a comedian. He actually believes what he is writing that's the sad thing. He must have a negative IQ if he thinks Boult or Wagner would play over Anderson in any conditions, any wicket against any opposition.
I don't agree with what he said but it was probably a less controversial statement than saying Anderson is the best seamer in cricket history

OverratedSanity

Hopefully England bat as badly as India did because I can't see Ishant and co bowling as well as Anderson and Woakes did. Going to have to rely on some insipid batting from England to have a chance in this game.