• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of England 2018

Shri

Mr. Glass
I take an early night for once and the ****ers **** things up this bad? We're ****ed if our bowlers take too long to find their rhythms and lengths.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Inflated? Lol. We've one guy who averages above 50. Pretty appropriate averages tbh.
Playing all your tests at home is bound to produce some generous numbers regardless if they're above 50 or not

Also, you forgot Pujara

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
How many catches at second and third slip are they catching in ODIs?
Fair point......but it's more the general standard I'm talking about.

I don't think it's a stretch to say Eng are one of the best ODI fielding sides atm yet we're one of the worst in tests. I've always thought (possibly wrongly) that fielding standards are more to do with culture and hard work than the talent and abilities of the individual players. But maybe Morgan, Hales, Roy et al are just generally much better than their test counterparts?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I must say Rashid's miss was hilarious. Has anyone ever been further from the ball? It was a brilliant argument for starting earlier in the morning rather than going late into the evening.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fair point......but it's more the general standard I'm talking about.

I don't think it's a stretch to say Eng are one of the best ODI fielding sides atm yet we're one of the worst in tests. I've always thought (possibly wrongly) that fielding standards are more to do with culture and hard work than the talent and abilities of the individual players. But maybe Morgan, Hales, Roy et al are just generally much better than their test counterparts?
Slip fielding is just a really specialized job. Lots of athletic fielders who field well in ODIs make for lousy slippers.

Shri

Mr. Glass
And batsmen who are not athletic but have great hand eye coordination are generally good in the slips. Sehwag was excellent for instance.

Borges

International Regular
How the hell is that side number 1? They can't bat at all.
Fair question. That is the problem with rankings: someone would be at the top, even if they aren't very good.
ICC points aside, which team should be considered to be (at least marginally) better than the others right now?
Before the disaster in Sri Lanka, i'd have confidently said South Africa. Who is it now? I suppose Pakistan, if they defeat Australia in their upcoming series.

smash84

The Tiger King
Fair question. That is the problem with rankings: someone would be at the top, even if they aren't very good.
ICC points aside, which team should be considered to be (at least marginally) better than the others right now?
Before the disaster in Sri Lanka, i'd have confidently said South Africa. Who is it now? I suppose Pakistan, if they defeat Australia in their upcoming series.
Not really, Pakistan are fairly weak after the departure of misyou. It's just that Pakistan have done fairly well in England on most tours that they end up looking better than they actually are.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Remember an esteemed gentleman in a whatsapp group who kept saying this is the best Indian side he has seen in 25 years. I kept saying, wait till we go to England. I probably should have stayed in that group and heard his defense now.

Borges

International Regular
This test illustrates graphically why doing away with the toss is a bad idea.
This is not a doctored pitch, and the toss is a fair way to decide who gets the best use of the conditions;
doing away with it would have yielded an unfair advantage to the visiting team.

cnerd123

likes this
We bowled great but there is far too much generosity to India's bats here.

Vijay closing the face in the first over against ATG when the ball is swinging, Kohli trying to whip ball through mid on that was swinging away and started on middle, Pandya just threw his hands at everything. Rahul also just lunging hard hands at a good ball. Karthik's gap between bat/pad has been shocking in every innings thus far.

Wasn't impossible to survive conditions by any means.
They carried these technical flaws into this series tho, so in a way this is about par for what these guys are actually capable of. They didn't really throw their wickets away, they just didn't know how to bat in these conditions.

We don't see top level batsmen make technical adaptations for various conditions anymore. It's just too hard with the packed schedules, 3 different formats and the wide range of conditions we're seeing now days. This is basically the same thing we see when touring sides collapse in the subcontinent to spin. Those conditions aren't unplayable by any means either, but the visiting sides are just don't have the game for it, and so despite their best efforts they collapse.

Don't know why we expect any different with each by series like this.

OverratedSanity

We bowled great but there is far too much generosity to India's bats here.

Vijay closing the face in the first over against ATG when the ball is swinging, Kohli trying to whip ball through mid on that was swinging away and started on middle, Pandya just threw his hands at everything. Rahul also just lunging hard hands at a good ball. Karthik's gap between bat/pad has been shocking in every innings thus far.

Wasn't impossible to survive conditions by any means.
Vijay got one that jagged away lik a leg break tbf. A flick looked an acceptable shot to play since it semed it was on the pads... until it wasnt.

You're right about the rest though. Rahane's shot pretty ordinary as well. Irritatingly, Pujara looked all right while he was out there.

Daemon

Why is everyone only focusing on the wicket ball? Most of them played plenty of awful shots before getting good nuts.