• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of England 2018

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We bat first and Bairstow may bat 4 and depending how long he keeps and how much rest he has had he may bat there anyway. Think Clarke should have been picked but happy enough with Pope. Clearly hyped like Root was, hope he takes this chance.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
I've got a feeling that Curran's success, albeit only in one test match thus far, has encouraged our selectors more to select and have a look at these exceptional young players, rather than to fall back on previous failures.

I'm not sure where I would like Pope to bat. The argument could be made that Buttler or Bairstow could bat 4, but Buttler arguably hasn't done enough to warrant that high a batting position. Bairstow is certainly good enough, but having our wicket keeper bat at 4 doesn't sit well with me personally. Seems like too much on his shoulders in a five day game. Many would argue that Pope has batted 6 for Surrey and should bat there, but if he averages 60 then he can surely bat at 4 and be somewhat successful. I mean if we're following the Buttler logic where some people argue he's wasted down the order, isn't it better to bat higher anyway?

I think I'm leaning towards Pope at 4 for these reasons. Hopefully we line up like this, bearing in mind that Stokes won't play (at least he likely won't, unless we experience a miracle.)

Cook
Jennings
Root
Pope
Bairstow
Buttler
Curran
Woakes
Rashid
Broad
Anderson

Will be interesting to see who bats higher between Curran and Woakes. Personally think Curran has more than deserved a promotion in the absence of Stokes, considering his batting very much won us the game in the last test. I don't think Woakes has achieved this level of batting in test matches yet, though he has more than served a purpose in our ODI batting line up on numerous occassions.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
We bat first and Bairstow may bat 4 and depending how long he keeps and how much rest he has had he may bat there anyway. Think Clarke should have been picked but happy enough with Pope. Clearly hyped like Root was, hope he takes this chance.
I think they said something about Bairstow in an earlier series (Pakistan?) that his record when we bat first is exceptional but whenever he bats after keeping its nowhere the same. Not sure if that’s just coincidence or indicative that keeping does have a big impact on his batting.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Pope, Buttler and 'stow are all keepers. Why can't they just keep for 30 overs a day each? The higher up the order you bat, the earlier you keep.

Groundking

International Debutant
I think they said something about Bairstow in an earlier series (Pakistan?) that his record when we bat first is exceptional but whenever he bats after keeping its nowhere the same. Not sure if that’s just coincidence or indicative that keeping does have a big impact on his batting.
His average batting first is 56.89, his best average after that is in the third innings where he averages 35.44, whilst being sub 30 average in the second and fourth innings.

If we're taking his keeping off him I wouldn't mind trying him at 3, Root 4, Pope 5, Butler 6, Woakes 7 Curran 8.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Haven't read it but seems a tad harsh to put technical flaw in a headline but you wouldn't expect any less from master of bad headlines, crapinfo.

We should be thinking about brining in some of the A guys really. They have been playing in England and can't do much worse than the current players. India has had a history of young players making runs in England as well. Just blood them, ffs.

OverratedSanity

If rahane/rahul/the openers are crap again in the second test, then we need to bring in Shaw and a few other youngsters. Nothing to lose.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
A bit off-topic, but multiple Cricinfo journos on Twitter have been going on and on recently about how much damage its done to English cricket that it’s almost exclusively on Sky, how this Test match wasn't available to all etc... It’s a bit odd it’s become an issue now as this has been the situation since the mid-00s.

My questions about this: what percentage of the English population have Sky? Does anyone know how much less the Test matches rate than they used to on BBC/Channel 4? Is it ever a chance for Tests to go back to FTA?

As I said, it’s a bit strange how this is becoming an issue now. I remember when Sky renewed the rights in the late 2000s the consensus was the money Sky provided was essential to keeping the England game going and it’s coverage was top-notch in anycase.

OverratedSanity

If we're 2-0 down with two consecutive poor batting displays (5 consecutive overall), then why not? Throw a grenade in there imo.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
@Got Spin: Obviously it's not ideal to blood a player in a marquees series away but it's not like these players are completely green. They have had a tour of England and have played some good bowlers in IPL etc. Like England are trying Pope, we should back new and upcoming players rather than the tried, tested and failed players. I'll prefer the same for the ODIs as well for the world cup. I hope we take a good squad for that tour a year ahead rather than players who are in there solely because of reputation.

cnerd123

likes this
yea tbf we're learning nothing about our players ability to bat overseas from them dominating in home tests. Even recently our home tests have basically been on dustbowls where Ashwin and Jaddu just rip through the opposition for 100ish, our batsmen haven't really been needed to do more than the bare minimum for us to win.

I'd much rather debut our young guns in lower profile series or at home too, but if we're already 2-0 or 3-0 down, we may as well give them a chance now. Not that this is going to happen, mind.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
@Got Spin: Obviously it's not ideal to blood a player in a marquees series away but it's not like these players are completely green. They have had a tour of England and have played some good bowlers in IPL etc. Like England are trying Pope, we should back new and upcoming players rather than the tried, tested and failed players. I'll prefer the same for the ODIs as well for the world cup. I hope we take a good squad for that tour a year ahead rather than players who are in there solely because of reputation.
What happens when the new players fail and you've discarded the senior players?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Final standing members in 'Last Man Standing' for the next test: *****, Daemon, Pratters

Yes, it is quite difficult to have the game within the thread. Will create a new thread.

cnerd123

likes this
Send them all back to Ranji cricket (resumes in September) and make them all battle for their spots in the team