• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Your argument is Bradman is not a great sports person, Bo Jackson is as cricket is not an athletic sport. Not all sports are athletic, for the record. That is unrelated to the argument who is the greatest sports person.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
No one here's arguing against the fact that someone like Bo Whoever could probably smack a few balls around in T20 cricket and make a few quick 20s or 30s after a few net sessions. Most hand eye athletes could on a flat T20 wicket.

But, no one here really cares that much about that skill aspect of cricket as much as they do test match batting with all its nuances and variables.
Look Don Whatever clearly was a handy cricketer like Phil Taylor was good at darts. But it don't make him the best sportsman ever in my view. He lacked power, strength, speed, and navigating what is in front of him in my opinion to even be in the debate. That's my opinion. You DON'T have to agree with it.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
This is a load of pretentious horse**** tbh. The only real athletic or physical gift that batsmen need is hand-eye co-ordination. Fitness is less important in cricket batting than most popular sports. Plain and simple. This is not arguable.

Also plenty of strawmen in there like "When people look at fat guys like Inzy and Ranatunga they think that anyone can pick up a bat and be an elite cricketer". No one is saying this.
:laugh:

It's funny cos I couldn't agree more.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It is disrespect for sure. Bradman is good at ball sports, not physical sports contest. I don't see your point. Would you say Roger Federer sucks compared to Bo Jackson because Roger Federer would be cripped by Bo Jackson in a physical contest? WTF.
?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Put simply, if strength and speed are the only important things in batting why are the powerful T20 batsmen like Lynn so appalling against spin?

And how the hell does needing skill make something a 'game' and not a 'sport'? Sports are games anyway, and both NFL and MLB require plenty of skill to reach elite levels.
What? An overrated hack like Hayne could play NFL after a season of training.

Starfighter

This thread feels a lot better with the use of ignore lists.
A lot shorter too, I can imagine.

I wish the ignore feature here was like on XenForo. The persons posts completely disappear, including when quoted in another post. Makes the pages shorter too.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I rate tennis. It is a tough sport. It is one on one. And they have nowhere to hide. Unfortunately, if I include tennis, then I have to favour boxing and MMA cos they're doing everything they do in tennis while smacking each other in the face and body.

stephen

I rate tennis. It is a tough sport. It is one on one. And they have nowhere to hide. Unfortunately, if I include tennis, then I have to favour boxing and MMA cos they're doing everything they do in tennis while smacking each other in the face and body.
Incorrect. They don't run around a court for 2-5h at a time hitting a ball travelling at >150kph.

stephen

Oh, a golden boot of rugby league couldn't last a season of NFL let alone get resigned. Where are you going with this analogy?
He was the starting running back for the 49ers before he quit to pursue an Olympic gold medal shot in Rugby Union 7s.

His muscle memory was all wrong for NFL and if he'd been playing it since his youth he'd easily have been a long term RB for an NFL side.

I was more having a dig at Hayne/NSW than anything else.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
How is cricket not a tough sport? Batting requires nothing except two swats? Why don't you try facing a fast bowler in his pomp like Larwood or Mitchell Johnson or a spinner with all his vile like Shane Warne? I have seen a lot of people speak a lot of drivel on this board but none like you have on cricket over the past few pages. Please don't diss on our beloved game. Thanks.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Look Don Whatever clearly was a handy cricketer like Phil Taylor was good at darts. But it don't make him the best sportsman ever in my view. He lacked power, strength, speed, and navigating what is in front of him in my opinion to even be in the debate. That's my opinion. You DON'T have to agree with it.
He is however more dominant in his chosen sport than anyone else has been, ever. Surely you agree with that.

No one here is saying Bradman is the greatest athlete ever. But if the definition of the "best sportsman" is being more dominant than anyone in their chosen sport ever, then he most certainly is that.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
He was the starting running back for the 49ers before he quit to pursue an Olympic gold medal shot in Rugby Union 7s.

His muscle memory was all wrong for NFL and if he'd been playing it since his youth he'd easily have been a long term RB for an NFL side.

I was more having a dig at Hayne/NSW than anything else.
LOL.

Starting running back?

Surely you're taking the piss.

1 game during injuries.

Quit? What the bench?

He played 8 games in his career and started ONE.

NFL success he was not.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haven't read the whole thread but saw a few posts about tennis and yeah, for me, tennis hits the sweet spot between athleticism/physicality and skill (hand-eye, touch, mental toughness etc.).