• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of England 2018

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That's the spirit.

By Karthik you mean he'll do a good job with the gloves? If so that's a brave prediction. If you mean his batting then that won't be a surprise.
Wicket keeping is such that even a pretty meh keeper could quite feasibly have a five game series without dropping any sitters, and if that happens people on here will definitely say he did a good job.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Highest run-scorer: Root
Highest wicket taker: Anderson
Biggest disappointment: Adil Rashid
Biggest surprise: Stokes to be found not guilty
Man-of-the-series: Anderson
Result: England 3 (2 if it rains one out) : India 1

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Final Predictions:

Highest run-scorer: Kohli
Highest wicket-taker: Anderson
Biggest disappointment: Sam Curran
Biggest surprise: Kuldeep to do well
Man of the series: Anderson
Result: India 1 - England 2
I always consider it a brave call nominating a bowler.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Highest run-scorer: Kohli
Highest wicket taker: Anderson
Biggest disappointment: Stokes
Biggest surprise: Pujara will actually do something
Man-of-the-series: Kohli (unfortunately)
Result: India 3 England 1

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Ok. I thought at least the English expected him to do well.
No - they really wouldn't.

With Woakes and TRJ out injured, he's following M Wood, C Overton, (who did okay in my opinion) T Curran into a graveyard spot.

If S Curran does well enough to hold a spot, I think they'll be elated.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wicket keeping is such that even a pretty meh keeper could quite feasibly have a five game series without dropping any sitters, and if that happens people on here will definitely say he did a good job.
Meh keepers don't usually get away with being subpar but going unnoticed in England imo.

OverratedSanity

If Vijay can rediscover his 2014-15 form, it'll be great for us, because he was probably the most consistent batsman in the team on that entire extended overseas run. Just keeping Kohli away from Anderson with the new ball will be huge.

cnerd123

likes this
Meh keepers don't usually get away with being subpar but going unnoticed in England imo.
Yea I don't think what PEWS suggests will happen. I'm guessing that Karthik will be up to par with the gloves and will contribute with the bat. I'm not a keeping expert, nor have I watched him keep in Ranji or anything recently, but his earlier stints with India were a bit rock-and-diamonds, in that he did look really good with the gloves in glimpses in between his fumbles. I'm just expecting him to have tidied up with more time and experience.

Not the most well thought out prediction, but I can't think of anything else that is somewhat possible that would also be a surprise. Kuldeep doing well is almost expected at this point, Ishant doing well isn't a big surprise, Kohli failing isn't a big suprise, and Pujara/Dhawan scoring runs is so not possible at this moment. I almost went for 'Ashwin will bowl well' but I'm not even sure he'll even play tbh.

Burgey

Final Predictions:

Highest run-scorer: Root
Highest wicket-taker: Broad
Biggest disappointment: Kohli
Biggest surprise: Karthik to do a good job
Man of the series: Root
Result: India 0- England 4
Good. Good. Hope you’re right.

Burgey

Especially with his shoulder.
Be braver nominating him if he didn’t have one :ph34r:

Must say, it’ll be good having some test cricket around at a watchable hour. England are pretty tough at home and India with a lot to prove re their away record. Should be good viewing.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

What do Indian fans think Hardik's going to do? I'll be glad if he scores a couple of quick 50s and picks up 10 wickets across the series. Expecting anything more is being greedy imo. The indian media is kinda bigging him up like he's our Stokes but he's err, not as good to put it lightly.\

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What do Indian fans think Hardik's going to do? I'll be glad if he scores a couple of quick 50s and picks up 10 wickets across the series. Expecting anything more is being greedy imo. The indian media is kinda bigging him up like he's our Stokes but he's err, not as good to put it lightly.\
If no-one on CW suggests he should be dropped (for poor performance anyway; not the usual "I didn't think he should've been picked in the first place so even though he's been fine I'm going to post an eleven without him" posts we see from time to time) at any point, he'll have exceeded my expectations.

R!TTER

State Regular
If no-one on CW suggests he should be dropped (for poor performance anyway; not the usual "I didn't think he should've been picked in the first place so even though he's been fine I'm going to post an eleven without him" posts we see from time to time) at any point, he'll have exceeded my expectations.
What :blink:

Pandya has to pick up wickets if he's playing, as I don't expect the 3 (or 2) regular seamers to do consistently well.
If Ashwin plays, instead of Kuldeep, then our wicket taking power dwindles even more. Hardik needs to pick up a wicket or two every innings, even if it's a cheap tailender.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
If Hardik did the following:

1) Building some partnerships with the top order and hitting some boundaries with the tail
2) Providing a serviceable 10-15 overs a day without bleeding a lot of runs
3) Good fielding

I'd be very happy.

What I worry Hardik might do:

1) Daft shots in crucial situations
2) Being given the ball when we are on top, and then proceeding to bowl the new batsmen into touch
3) Showing a lack of spirit/fight/guts if we fall behind in the series - resulting in soft dismissals, garbage bowling, and potentially even misfields

And that worries me.

Borges

International Regular
I think Hardik's performance is going to be ok for the role he has been assigned; the expectations won't be too high for a #7 batsman or the fifth bowler.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If Hardik did the following:

1) Building some partnerships with the top order and hitting some boundaries with the tail
2) Providing a serviceable 10-15 overs a day without bleeding a lot of runs
3) Good fielding

I'd be very happy.

What I worry Hardik might do:

1) Daft shots in crucial situations
2) Being given the ball when we are on top, and then proceeding to bowl the new batsmen into touch
3) Showing a lack of spirit/fight/guts if we fall behind in the series - resulting in soft dismissals, garbage bowling, and potentially even misfields

And that worries me.
I think that if he's going to be useful it's going to be in counter-attacking innings to give failing innings respectability and crucial breakthroughs with the ball, rather than as more of a support player forming partnerships and building pressure. Even Good Pandya, if it all works out for him, isn't the player you're hoping for there IMO.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
My problem with the 5th bowler is this, and this is in general, not an attack on Pandya.

Lets say he bowls 10 to 15 overs a day, and is economical, a nice tidy 3 runs an over. And takes his 0/30 or 1/45.

That's a nice lil' breather for his bowling team mates and the batsmen both.

If these guys are going to bowl with averages over 35, they better make runs at over 35 too, else they're a liability imo

(Unless they're there for a geriatric Anderson break down or when Broad gets a paper cut).

Last edited: