• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of England 2018

R!TTER

State Regular
England have named Adil Rashid as their lone spinner for the first Test against India, which begins on Wednesday at Edgbaston. It will be his first Test since the fifth Test against India in Chennai in December 2016.

England: 1 Alastair Cook, 2 Keaton Jennings, 3 Joe Root (capt), 4 Dawid Malan, 5 Jonny Bairstow (wk), 6 Ben Stokes, 7 Jos Buttler, 8 Adil Rashid, 9 Sam Curran, 10 Stuart Broad, 11 James Anderson.

1st Test, India tour of Ireland and England at Birmingham, Aug 1-5 2018 | Match Preview | ESPNCricinfo

R!TTER

State Regular
The bowling looks pretty thin, if Rashid doesn't pick up important wickets England may well regret picking him based on a one off event in LO cricket.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Unreal, the noise coming from the India camp for a team that hasn't won a meaningful series outside Asia. That's what a doltish "leadership group" does to others usually docile. They feel the overwhelming need to show intent.

Cow Corner

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Remember for the second test, Ben Stokes will not be playing. Assuming Woakes replaces him, you have a line up with Woakes at number 7 which does look a bit shaky. If Woakes doesn't come back, then they'll have to play with Curran and Jamie Porter...

Borges

International Regular
What kind of pitch is this going to be? A good deal of cloud cover on day one? Win the toss and bowl first, if one is bold enough?

Shri

Mr. Glass
They have been getting plenty of water to the outfield so that the effects of the heat wave will not be felt on the pitch. It won't dry out quickly as the game goes on. Wouldn't expect a pitch that will suit spinners much.

Stapel

International Regular
Maybe I've missed something, but...

What is the idea about Adil Rashid over Dom Bess?

Anyway: Will be at the Hollies stand days 1 & 2 :) .

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Stokes might not be playing the third, fourth and fifth test either if it does not go well with Lady Justice!!

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
It is weird seeing Vaughan pose as the defender of the championship considering he was discussing taking two of the earlier games and playing them in the Caribbean!

Mr Miyagi

Banned
England have named Adil Rashid as their lone spinner for the first Test against India, which begins on Wednesday at Edgbaston. It will be his first Test since the fifth Test against India in Chennai in December 2016.

England: 1 Alastair Cook, 2 Keaton Jennings, 3 Joe Root (capt), 4 Dawid Malan, 5 Jonny Bairstow (wk), 6 Ben Stokes, 7 Jos Buttler, 8 Adil Rashid, 9 Sam Curran, 10 Stuart Broad, 11 James Anderson.

1st Test, India tour of Ireland and England at Birmingham, Aug 1-5 2018 | Match Preview | ESPNCricinfo
Oh wow. I'd say this lad ain't much of a bowler but he did this.

Only unofficial Test, India A tour of England at Worcester, Jul 16-19 2018 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

So maybe he knows how to exploit swinging conditions or summing.

Where on earth is Woakes?

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm really scared of Buttler. This'll be his breakout series imo.
Pressure of being a bat without the gloves will nullify him, personally. I don’t think batting with tail is his thing so if England make a show of faith like, say, batting him above Bairstow, could energise him but otherwise, I’d be surprised if he has much influence.

I sure hope he does, though, because it’ll go off.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Pressure of being a bat without the gloves will nullify him, personally. I don’t think batting with tail is his thing so if England make a show of faith like, say, batting him above Bairstow, could energise him but otherwise, I’d be surprised if he has much influence.

I sure hope he does, though, because it’ll go off.
Nah - he is in the perfect position at 7 (or even 6), to bat like a batsman with batsmen, or to crank through the gears with the tail. Bairstow at 5 has to play the higher order player role because he is better at it than Buttler. Buttler's at his best when attacking imo because he puts pressure back on the bowlers who lose their line and length, and getting opportunities with the tail permits that without cricket fans getting all twisted over him slogging in a test match (even a purist loves a batsman hitting out with the tail).

Buttler isn't a quality proper test batsman, but he sure can whack the ball.

Last edited:

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rashid has apparently now become a better bowler than Moeen in home conditions, according to the internet, despite scant evidence. Can someone start this match already, I just want to know how this is going to turn out.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Rashid has apparently now become a better bowler than Moeen in home conditions, according to the internet, despite scant evidence.
That is one way to look at it I guess.

But given Bess and Leach have been tried since Moeen was dropped first over winter while going at over 126 per wicket, I think it could be said England is willing to try new things that aren't Moeen in the search for success.

Moeen had a good 2014 and 2017 at home. The rest of the time he has struggled at home and away (bar Bangladesh).

I'm more interested in how Sam Curran has got ahead of the rest of the pack in tests.

Last edited: