• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of England 2018

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I am not even kidding when I say people who made the decision to play Bhuvi in the LOs should be fired.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
How is that the same? Buttler played a FC game only a few days ago, Rashid essentially quit FC cricket due to lack of interest in doing the hard stuff.
This is absolutely not true, Buttler played the 1st Test against Pakistan straight from the IPL, without playing a single FC game. Buttler did perform really well in the Test series so I understand why the narrative has completely changed now but at least let's not change the facts around it.

Feel free to go to the England v Pakistan Test thread and find the same conversations going on then.

Secondly, Rashid did not quit FC because of a 'lack of interest'. He was dropped after the India series of 2016 and had every reason to believe his Test career was over, and quite reasonably focused on where he thought he had a future - white ball cricket.

Look it's perfectly reasonable to argue that Rashid should not be recalled for the India series without having played FC. But let's not change facts to suit that argument.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Buttler didn't quit FC cricket is Top Cat's point Blk Warrior. The mere fact he hadn't played a game in a while is comparative to Rashid, but Buttler didn't retire from the format like Rashid previously did.

Personally, I think England should play the best available players willing to commit to them, and that seems to include Rashid right now, but my views on that may change if he asks for a white ball contract again next year if still a test regular (although they give test players time off for the IPL now anyway should Rashid snag a deal there so Rashid is probably better off taking a regular deal anyway if still a test regular).

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Buttler didn't quit FC cricket is Top Cat's point Blk Warrior. The mere fact he hadn't played a game in a while is comparative to Rashid, but Buttler didn't retire from the format like Rashid previously did.

Sure and that's totally reasonable. But to say he played FC cricket before his Test selection when he didn't is incorrect.

Borges

International Regular
I am not even kidding when I say people who made the decision to play Bhuvi in the LOs should be fired.
It was a terrible decision, nevertheless it turned out to be a blessing in disguise.
Not playing the test match is better than being in the starting eleven and breaking down after ten overs.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It was a terrible decision, nevertheless it turned out to be a blessing in disguise.
Not playing the test match is better than being in the starting eleven and breaking down after ten overs.
He probably wouldn't have broken down during the test because of the extra few weeks of recovery time for his back. Bowling when not fully fit is just the absolute worst thing you can do.

It's baffling because Kohli and Shastri constantly go on about how fitness is the top priority and about that yo-yo test and then go and do something like this. Ridiculous.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
I'm sure they've built a culture where the players are pushing themselves beyond their capacities to meet fitness standards in order to keep their spot in their team. They're probably injuryig themselves trying to pass the tests.

Might also be a cult of personality thing going on where they're constantly trying to please Kohli and Shastri because no one knows what the playing XI for any given game will be.

Borges

International Regular
He had been carrying this back injury for months; right through the IPL, where he missed most of the games.
The injury was not addressed, probably in the naive belief that if he doesn't play for a long enough time, it would go away on its own.

cnerd123

likes this
Playing risking injury for an IPL pay day is pretty old news now. You would have thought that the BCCI, of all boards, would be able to provide the financial assurances to ensure their Test stars don't have to go through that

Daemon

Was just looking at the English squad again and wondering about their sad line of post Strauss openers. I know this has been discussed before but fmd Carberry really got a raw deal didn't he.

- Never played anything like Johnson's pace in his life
- Debut series (Bangladesh doesn't count ofc)
- Opening batsman against a fresh Johnson
- Still managed to average 30 in the series (slightly better than what most of the others managed)

He may have never amounted to much but considering what's followed it's unfortunate he didn't get a longer leash

Hicheal Michael

U19 Captain
Was just looking at the English squad again and wondering about their sad line of post Strauss openers. I know this has been discussed before but fmd Carberry really got a raw deal didn't he.

- Still managed to average 30 in the series (slightly better than what most of the others managed)

He may have never amounted to much but considering what's followed it's unfortunate he didn't get a longer leash
Didn't even get a home test. Did play a fairly poor innings at Melbourne in the 2nd innings for what it is worth, but certainly hard done by.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sure and that's totally reasonable. But to say he played FC cricket before his Test selection when he didn't is incorrect.
That’s not the point though. He had made himself technically available to play, Rashid refused to do that and even declined to play last week.

TheJediBrah

Politics. The 2 best English batsmen from the 2013-14 Ashes were dropped immediately after and never played again. That's what happens when you've got a side half full of sociopaths. Forced to drop good players for less talented replacements in order to satisfy the egos + personality disorders of your best players.

semi srs