• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of England 2018

Mr Miyagi

Banned
England's secret to mastering big totals in ODIs - ESPNcricinfo

India's bowlers vs England's batsmen.

I suspect that there may still be a slight underestimation of this Indian batting line-up by the media.

Indian batsmen typically chase well. And Rahul and Dhawan won't likely slouch around batting first.

Still after years of Indian batting strength and vulnerable bowling articles, this different theme makes a pleasant change.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
India's bowlers will also be much more challenging than the Australian bowlers were
Their spinners will certainly ask different questions of England.

Whereas Kaul and Pandya, anything could happen there.

I think they'll miss Bumrah even with Yadav and BK available.

Last edited:

garylyon

School Boy/Girl Captain
Without Bumrah the only actual threat India offers to England are Yuzi and Kuldeep. If Yadav plays he is bound to be expensive even though he might pick up a wicket or two every game.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Alex Hales appears likely fall guy for Ben Stokes' ODI return - ESPNcricinfo

For with Ben Stokes back to fitness and Joe Root recalled having been dropped from the T20 side, something has to give. And that something, it seems, is likely to be Hales... Who else could it be? Jonny Bairstow has made four centuries in his eight most recent ODI innings; Jason Roy has made two centuries (and an 82) in his four most recent ODI innings; Root averages a fraction under 50 in this format and is seen as essential should England encounter a tricky batting surface and Eoin Morgan is both the captain and the highest run-scorer in England's ODI history. And Jos Buttler, well he's Jos Buttler. He might well be on his way to establishing himself as the best limited-overs batsman England have ever had... The management have decided they like the security of playing the extra bowler - with Stokes and Root you could argue they have a seventh bowler - so despite Hales' record, despite him playing one of his most mature innings as recently as Friday (he made a classy, unbeaten 58 to see England to victory in Cardiff), despite this match being played on his home ground, he looks the most vulnerable... Morgan's recent record, for example, is comfortably the least impressive of the batsmen... The absence of Chris Woakes remains painful for England. It's not just his bowling - though he is probably England's best death bowler - but the security he provides with the bat at No. 8. David Willey, while dangerous when the ball swings, has a bit to prove once it does not. Tellingly, he has only once delivered 10 overs in an ODI in the last couple of years and, on that occasion, England lost against Scotland.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Without Bumrah the only actual threat India offers to England are Yuzi and Kuldeep. If Yadav plays he is bound to be expensive even though he might pick up a wicket or two every game.
Yadav should play. It would also be a bit of practice before the tests. However not sure that would help re understanding which players would suit best for 2019. Ideally as far as 2019 is concerned, we should try various players and see how they perform in match conditions in England.

Jack1

International Debutant
Hales in injured. He would have played otherwise I'm almost 100% sure. He made 232 runs @ 58 average against Australia with a 108 SR.

I would have thought Stokes would have come in for one of the seam bowlers, with Stokes and Root being the 5th bowling option, had Hales not been injured.

If Hales was going to be dropped then I wouldn't have agreed with that at all. In fact called it nonsense considering his series vs Australia and he hit 52 against Scotland.

Turns out England were going to leave hales out anyway. Can’t agree with that at all. In fact on form i can’t agree, nor the balance of the side. England have five front line bowlers plus stokes and then the option of root. Could easily leave out a seamer, have Stokes as the 5th bowler and Root the 6th and bolster the batting with hales instead of a seamer. He’s injured anyway of course but still

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Hales in injured. He would have played otherwise I'm almost 100% sure. He made 232 runs @ 58 average against Australia with a 108 SR.

I would have thought Stokes would have come in for one of the seam bowlers, with Stokes and Root being the 5th bowling option, had Hales not been injured.

If Hales was going to be dropped then I wouldn't have agreed with that at all. In fact called it nonsense considering his series vs Australia and he hit 52 against Scotland.

Turns out England were going to leave hales out anyway. Can’t agree with that at all. In fact on form i can’t agree, nor the balance of the side. England have five front line bowlers plus stokes and then the option of root. Could easily leave out a seamer, have Stokes as the 5th baker and Root the 6th and bolster the batting with hales instead of a seamer. He’s injured anyway of course but still
It is an interesting debate John.

Still, I think Woakes is the bigger loss for England. I really think he is the glue that holds England together when the going gets tough, imo.

Woakes may not feature in easy wins, but he is typically huge in dog fights.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sounds like a ***y first over from Yadav. Dude needs to take wickets first up because he becomes a liability otherwise.

Jack1

International Debutant
Bairstow is making this wicket look incredibly good for batting and flat. That's my fear about picking someone like Wood against India, they will smash him everywhere probably. Even Plunkett and Willey are going to struggle to pick up wickets and keep the scoring rate down on this surface. England are going to need 350 or so I reckon on this pitch and outfield to be competitive. Fast outfield too.

Last edited:

Jack1

International Debutant
Yeah I'd have played Hales too
You probably have the same thinking about the balance of the bowling attack? Wood, Plunkett and Willey are going to look very average against India's batting (most likely. Even if they pick up wickets I expect them to be expensive).

It is an interesting debate John.

Still, I think Woakes is the bigger loss for England. I really think he is the glue that holds England together when the going gets tough, imo.

Woakes may not feature in easy wins, but he is typically huge in dog fights.
Woakes in for Wood would be ideal. But there's an argument still to pick Hales over a seamer at that point. 5 front-line bowlers, plus Stokes as the 6th bowler and Root as the 7th just feels like too much bowling for me (as I already mentioned ).

Last edited:

Borges

International Regular
Ah! England off to a merry start, I see.
Unless they pick up some wickets quickly, India are going to be taken to the cleaners.

Jack1

International Debutant
Really garbage shot that from Roy. That's the problem with Roy. He's a great talent, but does play some dumb shots. A decent start at least by the openers, can't complain too much. All eyes on Bairstow really, he's our key player. Root will be a looking for a run a ball 50 I'd imagine. Roy is better off just slogging instead of reverse sweeping considering his skill set.