• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of England 2018

Mr Miyagi

Banned
John's a good poster. Unfortunately we got off on the wrong foot when I wrote him off for picking Russel in an ATG ODI XI.
That was certainly out of left field, but sums him up as independent and dare I say "modern" thinker about cricket.

He doesn't feel the need to conform to conservative or historically dogmatic views about cricket, nor buy into supposed truisms that the supposed veracity of which are really being challenged in the modern game, finally.

I genuinely like his posts.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
John and I have always understood and respected one another in cricket discussion, even when we disagree, let alone agree.

If you don't understand, let alone respect, us that's on your limitations as human being.

You can join TJB in ad hominem only posts instead of talking cricket, like this one. Seek the last word - he always typically does. Or go with "irrelevant" snowflake accusations and swear and cuss. A personal favourite of mine.

John and I talk cricket, you want to talk people like John and me, take it elsewhere. It is off topic, and rather boring. I don't feel the need to talk about myself, I prefer cricket.
lol the irony

"we're done here" . . . "stop making it about me I'm just here to talk about cricket"

You need to stop with this crap man. Stop trying to start fights everywhere, and then reignite them when you haven't had enough. No one likes it.

You're not a terrible poster most of the time but you sabotage yourself with this sort of thing.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I think its very, very debatable that England are the better ODI side. They definitely have a problem with bowling, especially at the death and middle overs. India with Bumrah otoh have a much more formidable bowling attack, a comparably explosive but far more reliable top order but inferior middle and lower order. Yes its going to be a really competitive contest and I don't usually say this but this ODI series should have been longer than 3 matches.
Should have been 5-6 ODIs and 5 tests. We don't need T20, ODI and tests in every series FFS. Same for recent Bangladesh WI tour.. three series of little nothingnesses.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Was the last series between the two where Jadhav was making runs for fun? That was a pretty closely fought series as well iirc.

What happened to Jadhav? Is he still in the team? I remember there being a long debate where so many people were backing him to be so super just because his averages reflected it..

Stapel

International Regular
Yeeeeaaaaah!

I've got tickets for day 1 & 2 at Edgbaston (1&2 August). Takng 4 other Dutch blokes.

So, where to hang out at night? Any tips?

Bolo

State Captain
That Dhoni last ball runout was so good. Shows why I thought so highly of him as a captain. His understanding of LO cricket and situational awareness is fantastic.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
That Dhoni last ball runout was so good. Shows why I thought so highly of him as a captain. His understanding of LO cricket and situational awareness is fantastic.
I don't really understand when people criticize his wicket keeping. He is one of the slickest operators around with his ability to execute stumpings and run outs. He moves so fast and agile, fast hands, lightning, not text book movements either - it is self developed style - he makes use of his pads in a way keepers are not known for.

He is just slick.

I get a lot of the batting criticisms though.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

I don't really understand when people criticize his wicket keeping. He is one of the slickest operators around with his ability to execute stumpings and run outs. He moves so fast and agile, not text book movement either, he makes use of his pads in a way keepers are not known for.

He is just slick.

I get a lot of the batting criticisms though.
He's always been a very solid keeper, especially to the spinners. Def shouldn't be criticised at all imo

Borges

International Regular
Saha will probably miss the test series against England. In that case, I suppose it would be Karthik.

Bolo

State Captain
I don't think he's the most gifted keeper around, and it shows a bit in tests- seems to drop a few and occasionally fumble byes from quicks. Not a bad keeper, but not great.

Much better in LO from what I've seen though. I'm not sure if he had concentration or endurance problems in tests, or if I'm just comparatively overstating him for LO, because he has such a presence in controlling the game from behind the stumps.

TheJediBrah

I don't think he's the most gifted keeper around, and it shows a bit in tests- seems to drop a few and occasionally fumble byes from quicks. Not a bad keeper, but not great.

Much better in LO from what I've seen though. I'm not sure if he had concentration or endurance problems in tests, or if I'm just comparatively overstating him for LO, because he has such a presence in controlling the game from behind the stumps.
Yeah I think he's the kind of keeper who does make errors that others wouldn't, but also can pull off spectacular moments that more reliable keepers wouldn't

Borges

International Regular
Both as a keeper, and as a captain, Dhoni in test matches can at best be described as ordinary.

Though the Gilly-Billy-Silly-ATVG crowd would pick him over Engineer for an ATVG Indian test team.

Bolo

State Captain
Both as a keeper, and as a captain, Dhoni in test matches can at best be described as ordinary.

Though the Gilly-Billy-Silly-ATVG crowd would pick him over Engineer for an ATVG Indian test team.
Whatever it takes to keep selection out of Virats hands8-)

I think people aren't differentiating between him as a test and LO player. He's only a passable quality bat at test level, which is why a lot of people think so highly of him in LO.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Whatever it takes to keep selection out of Virats hands8-)

I think people aren't differentiating between him as a test and LO player. He's only a passable quality bat at test level, which is why a lot of people think so highly of him in LO.
To be honest, and I mean both you and Dhoni no disrespect, I don't think about him as a test player at all since he retired.

Bolo

State Captain
To be honest, and I mean both you and Dhoni no disrespect, I don't think about him as a test player at all since he retired.
Probably a reasonable tribute to his test career tbf. Absolute monster in ODIs though.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Joe Root will bounce back from T20 dropping - Paul Farbrace - ESPNcricinfo

Paul Farbrace, England's interim coach, has backed Joe Root to bounce back strongly after being dropped for the series-deciding T20I against India at Bristol on Sunday, but reiterated that "runs are the currency" by which all of England's batsmen need to be judged in the current clamour for white-ball berths.

Despite being acknowledged as England's finest multi-format batsman, Root found himself under pressure following scores of 35, 0 and 9 in his three previous T20 innings against Australia and India. He made way for the return of Ben Stokes in Bristol after Alex Hales had made his own place in the side secure with a match-winning half-century at Cardiff on Friday.

Root's omission would have seem unthinkable two years ago, when he was the glue in the England T20 line-up that came so close to victory in the World T20 in India, and prior to the series Farbrace insisted Root was a fixture in the side. However, Farbrace - who has been standing in for the head coach, Trevor Bayliss, during the T20I series - said that Root remained a shoo-in to play in the first ODI against India at Trent Bridge on Thursday.... Root's role in T20 cricket has come under inadvertent scrutiny in recent months, partly as a consequence of his huge importance to England's fortunes in the longer formats.... "It is important in low-scoring games on tough wickets, you need people who can manipulate the strike, who can play spin bowling well, and can keep you in tight games," said Farbrace. "That's a skill that Joe has - he has the ability to hit boundaries. He might not have the raw power of a Stokes or a Bairstow but he has strong cricket shots, even in 20-over cricket, which will get you your reward... "Yes, he hasn't got any runs in the last couple of games and, yes, that does make you vulnerable in any side. Runs are your currency - that's what you're selected on. It's the same for bowlers - it's about wickets and economy rates in T20 cricket."
Sounds like Root's role isn't going to be redefined as much until he expands his game to back where it was at WT20 as much as the pitch will dictate the XI. Horses for courses is typically a smart strategy.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/24046567/i-kind-hitman-lot-rohit-sharma

Rohit wants to be called "hitman".

I kind of like Hitman a lot, goes well with my name as well.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Root being left out of T20 doesn't really bother me, I still think he should be there but it's not as crazy as dropping him from the ODI side would be. That would be insane.

vcs

Root has been brilliant in ODIs for the past few years, consistently scoring at around 90 (without the conversion issues). It would be a bonkers move to drop him because intent.

I haven't checked his recent T20I record, but it makes very little sense to drop a guy of his class.