• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of England 2018

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Ugh none of this is relevant. It was just a straightforward, easy to understand (I thought) observation. You don't have to react like this every time someone responds to you. Sometimes posts are just posts, not everything is an attack.
Okay, but I still don't get why you'd find it funny given Stokes is not only the better bowler for the death, but the better batsman of the two too. In fact - I said before the game I would possibly drop Ball for Stokes. I don't rate Ball that much as yet, and Stokes could have got through 4 overs I believe. Plunkett, Ball, Stokes, Jordan, Willey with Rashid seemed a tad excessive.

Thinking that Root shouldn't be a certain starter for all formats is plain wrong
So what do you think of Root being dropped?

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Okay, but I still don't get why you'd find it funny given Stokes is not only the better bowler for the death, but the better batsman of the two too. In fact - I said before the game I would possibly drop Ball for Stokes. I don't rate Ball that much as yet, and Stokes could have got through 4 overs I believe.
Again, not relevant. You keep asking the same irrelevant **** over and over trying to force me to explain and it leads to boring **** discussions that no one is interested in. I'm not saying that Ball is a better bowler than Stokes, where each one bats is irrelevant, I never said or implied that you were wrong about anything specific. I don't know where you get any of this from.

I was just making a very simple observation that was very clearly stated

So what do you think of Root being dropped?
Well they lost didn't they? Not as dumb as dropping him from the ODI side would be. At least I can see the logic behind dropping him from the T20 side

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Again, not relevant. You keep asking the same irrelevant **** over and over trying to force me to explain and it leads to boring **** discussions that no one is interested in. I'm not saying that Ball is a better bowler than Stokes, where each one bats is irrelevant, I never said or implied that you were wrong about anything specific. I don't know where you get any of this from. I was just making a very simple observation that was very clearly stated
Dude, if you want to make jokes about batting deep and bowling, then determine whether my replies and observations of the batting and bowling abilities (and make up of the side) of the bowlers are not relevant, just don't swear at me, don't even waste your time or my time conversing with me. You obviously only want a one way conversation and care nothing for my observations or points. I'm not interested in having that with you.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Dude, if you want to make jokes about batting deep and bowling, then determine whether my replies and observations are not relevant, just don't swear at me, don't even waste your time or my time conversing with me. You obviously only want a one way conversation and care nothing for my observations or points. I'm not interested in having that with you.
I'm simply not interested in a irrelevant conversation devised from your imaginary impressions. Literally all I said was that bowling was important. Don't get offended because I pointed out where your veering into territory that no one is commenting on or particularly cares about.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I'm simply not interested in a irrelevant conversation devised from your imaginary impressions. Literally all I said was that bowling was important. Don't get offended because I pointed out where your veering into territory that no one is commenting on or particularly cares about.
You deemed 5 seamers and 1 spinner irrelevant. You deemed the batting abilities irrelevant between Stokes and Ball. But you deemed bat deep relevant to bowlers. I don't know where you're going with this. And I no longer care. It seems you just want to make batdeep and bowling jokes that I don't get when I say Stokes (with batting ability) should bowl over the number 11 bunny Ball (because Stokes is a better death bowler), and swear at me. I'm not down for that. Now you're calling these facts and impressions "imaginary". Just don't ruin my experience on the thread please - I am enjoying this thread greatly.

Go swear at someone else and tell them what is relevant for jokes about bowlers who bat for a team to bat deep and those who don't.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

You deemed 5 seamers and 1 spinner irrelevant. You deemed the batting abilities irrelevant between Stokes and Ball. But you deemed bat deep relevant to bowlers. I don't where you're going with this. And I no longer care. It seems you just want to make batdeep and bowling jokes that I don't get when I say Stokes should bowl over the number 11 bunny Ball, and swear at me. I'm not down for that. Now you're calling these facts "imaginary". Just don't ruin my experience on the thread please - I am enjoying this thread greatly.
Just respond to what you see on screen and not what you imagine. You say you just want to enjoy the experience then stop inventing arguments in your mind dude!

Just relax, you've just perpetuated a 5 or 6? post argument with me based on nothing that I repeatedly tried to end by pointing out that there is nothing but you just wouldn't let go. Then complain about me ruining your experience. You couldn't make this stuff up.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Just respond to what you see on screen and not what you imagine. You say you just want to enjoy the experience then stop inventing arguments in your mind dude!

Just relax, you've just perpetuated a 5 or 6? post argument with me based on nothing that I repeatedly tried to end by pointing out that there is nothing but you just wouldn't let go. Then complain about me ruining your experience. You couldn't make this stuff up.
Oh great, now you're just discussing me again solely and not even attempting to discuss cricket Did noone ever teach you about ad hominem? We're done here. I am not the topic of this cricket thread.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Oh great, now you're just discussing me again solely and not even attempting to discuss cricket Did noone ever teach you about ad hominem? We're done here. I am not the topic of this cricket thread.
Thank ****. That didn't have to be that painful.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
So onto the ODI series now; and England appears to have 2 issues despite the return of Stokes.

Woakes is still out returning from his injuries - and Ali is not trusted to bowl to the Indian batsmen. So instead of:

1 Roy
2 Bairstow
3 Root 7
4 Morgan
5 Stokes 6
6 Buttler +
7 Ali (Hales? S Curran) 5
8 Woakes (S Curran/Ball/Wood) 2
9 Willey 1
10 Plunkett 3
11 Rashid, 4

England needs to play a seamer to replace Woakes - Ball doesn't look that great so far. Sam Curran though a handy bat looks damn expensive with the ball, and then there's Mark Wood - who is just not that great.

And who on earth replaces Ali? Do they trust Stokes and Root to get through 10 overs between them and play Hales for Ali? Or play S Curran who looks to be a bit of a gamble? England has a slight problem here. They could play both Ball and Wood - but then they have a short batting line up. Ali was critical to the team balance.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So onto the ODI series now; and England appears to have 2 issues despite the return of Stokes.

Woakes is still out returning from his injuries - and Ali is not trusted to bowl to the Indian batsmen. So instead of:

1 Roy
2 Bairstow
3 Root 7
4 Morgan
5 Stokes 6
6 Buttler +
9 Willey 1
10 Plunkett 3
11 Rashid, 4

England needs to play a seamer to replace Woakes - Ball doesn't look that great so far. Sam Curran though a handy bat looks expensive with the ball, and then there's Mark Wood - who is just not that great.

And who on earth replaces Ali? Do they trust Stokes and Root to get through 10 overs between them and play Hales for Ali? England has a slight problem here.
Jordan is still a thing. His figures in his last few T20Is have been awful but I still don't mind him as long as they play six bowling options, because he's definitely one of their best two death bowlers, is an awesome fielder and has the exact sort of batting semi-competence you want from a tailender in T20 cricket (ie. he may not have a long innings in him but if he has to face three or four balls at the end of an innings he strikes like a batsman over that period). Stokes being back makes his role more tenable for mine because he doesn't necessary have to bowl out -- he can just bowl two at the death if they're rolling with six bowling options.

EDIT: No I'm silly, you were talking about ODIs.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Jordan is still a thing.
Yeah - he did well in NZ last summer both domestically and internationally. Got an IPL gig and did well in his one game. He's back on the up - but they see him as T20i only.

His figures in his last few T20Is have been awful but I still don't mind him as long as they play six bowling options, because he's definitely one of their best two death bowlers, is an awesome fielder and has the exact sort of batting semi-competence you want from a tailender in T20 cricket (ie. he may not have a long innings in him but if he has to face three or four balls at the end of an innings he strikes like a batsman over that period). Stokes being back makes his role more tenable for mine because he doesn't necessary have to bowl out -- he can just bowl two at the death if they're rolling with six bowling options.
Yeah - I agree with Jordan over Ball and Wood too, but he's not in the squad.

Against Australia, Stokes was replaced with Hales, and they went 5 bowlers plus Root. Would they go 4 bowlers plus Stokes and Root to replace Ali with Hales? They must be tempted - but Sharma, Dhawan, Rahul and Kohli v Root may be a very different story to the Australian batting.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah - he did well in NZ last summer both domestically and internationally. Got an IPL gig and did well in his one game. He's back on the up - but they see him as T20i only.

Yeah - I agree with Jordan over Ball and Wood too, but he's not in the squad.
Wait I thought you were still talking about their T20 side, but having actually read your post properly it seems you moved on to ODIs. My bad.

Borges

International Regular
England went in with more bowling options than India in this game. Morgan had six bowlers to play around with.
Don't think Root would have improved their bowling stocks in any meaningful manner. It's very hard for any one to bowl well on these kinds of pitches, with short boundaries.

TheJediBrah

1 Roy
2 Bairstow
3 Root 7
4 Morgan
5 Stokes 6
6 Buttler +
9 Willey 1
10 Plunkett 3
11 Rashid, 4

England needs to play a seamer to replace Woakes - Ball doesn't look that great so far. Sam Curran though a handy bat looks damn expensive with the ball, and then there's Mark Wood - who is just not that great.

And who on earth replaces Ali? Do they trust Stokes and Root to get through 10 overs between them and play Hales for Ali? Or play S Curran who looks to be a bit of a gamble? England has a slight problem here. They could play both Ball and Wood - but then they have a short batting line up. Ali was critical to the team balance.
If Ali isn't trusted to bowl he shouldn't be in the team IMO. Definitely replace him with Hales.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
If Ali isn't trusted to bowl he shouldn't be in the team IMO. Definitely replace him with Hales.
That leaves 10 overs for Stokes and Root. I think England will be tempted to do this, and then replace Woakes with Wood or Ball and leave S Curran out to then have batting at 7 and Willey at 8.

If they stack the bowling, they end up with Willey at 7, and that is light in the batting. S Curran just isn't much of a bowler yet (he is a better batsman than his numbers suggest though - they will increase). But neither are Ball and Wood (but Wood seems better than S Curran still).

I gotta say, with Woakes out and Ali not trusted to bowl, I like India's chances here. England may have to bite the bullet and play Ali - but that could get ugly.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd play Moeen at least in the first game, and bowl him. He was really good against Australia with the ball across those two ODI series, and yeah India is different but I'd give him at least a game at it. If he got flogged then I'd replace him with Hales in the next one.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I'd play Moeen at least in the first game, and bowl him. He was really good against Australia with the ball across those two ODI series, and yeah India is different but I'd give him at least a game at it. If he got flogged then I'd replace him with Hales in the next one.
England has a slight problem with the Stokes/Ali/Woakes 6 bowler bat deep combo - whenever one is injured, or not trusted to bowl, their whole team balance is effected in either field or batting as T Curran/S Curran just don't fill their roles with bat and ball.

Hales is not Stokes. Ball is not Ali (spin v seam aside).

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

I have a hard time imagining that Ball is a better ODI bowler than Anderson and Broad. I'd believe it if you told me they were just not playing ODIs to keep them fresh for Test cricket though.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I have a hard time imagining that Ball is a better ODI bowler than Anderson and Broad. I'd believe it if you told me they were just not playing ODIs to keep them fresh for Test cricket though.
They're not even playing List A or Blast T20 games these days. They've effectively retired from pyjama cricket for now. (But a surprise comeback for a WC is not entirely out of the equation - but the Ashes are right after).

Ball at best seems to be a poor man's Plunkett. But like David Willey, and to a lesser degree Mark Wood - there seems to be a belief if you keep playing them - they will get better.

But Ball is starting from a weaker start. He has to be one of the more mediocre regular reserves in a very strong team. I'd have Matt Henry or Adam Milne any day over him.

Steven Finn seems to have been harshly omitted, is he injured or something? I know TRJ is.

Last edited:

Borges

International Regular
England should prepare limited overs wickets which have a wee bit in them for the quick bowlers; these kind of surfaces are alien to them.