• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of England 2018

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I think Indian lineup with Rahul moving in at 3 now presumably is as good as its going to get however there's still the no.6 issue assuming Dhoni is promoted to 5. I prefer Raina or Jadhav over Rayudu or Pandey since the latter two can't bowl.

Nohit
Dhawan
Rahul
Kohli*
Dhoni+
Jadhav/Raina
Hardik (don't mind Krunal if going with 3 spinners)

The frontline bowling attack however is settled and doesn't need meddling with at all imo.

Bhuvi
Kuldeep
Chahal
Bumrah

Don't see the point of bringing in Umesh who has a career economy of 6 and is generally expensive or replacing any of these bowlers with all-rounders like Krunal or Axar to deepen the batting.
wickets...

300 is easier to chase than 400.

I do not believe that Chahal and Kuldeep are locks for the WC 12 months out. Not in the least.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have a feeling we won't be playing two wrist spinners in the WC but it's just ridiculous to drop either atm. Especially just to make way for nostrils who may only be effective upfront with the new ball. And that's not a given either. You talk wickets but that's exactly what Kuldeep/Chahal bring atm.

garylyon

School Boy/Girl Captain
wickets...

300 is easier to chase than 400.

I do not believe that Chahal and Kuldeep are locks for the WC 12 months out. Not in the least.
I think Kohli believes so. He certainly relies a great deal on them since they can turn even on roads they play on in England. To the point that he is backing them to win the England series for India like they did in SA. Also, Umesh isn't more of a wickettaker than any of those bowlers except Bhuvi. Significantly less so in fact. Bumrah, Kuldeep and Chahal all average less than 22 with economies less than 5 while Umesh averages 32 with a much inferior SR and economy. Never seen this bowling attack concede anywhere near 400.

https://m.sport24.co.za/Cricket/kohli-backing-his-x-factor-spinners-in-england-20180622

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I think Kohli believes so. He certainly relies a great deal on them since they can turn even on roads they play on in England. To the point that he is backing them to win the England series for India like they did in SA. Also, Umesh isn't more of a wickettaker than any of those bowlers except Bhuvi. Significantly less so in fact. Bumrah, Kuldeep and Chahal all average less than 22 with economies less than 5 while Umesh averages 32 with a much inferior SR and economy. Never seen this bowling attack concede anywhere near 400.

https://m.sport24.co.za/Cricket/kohli-backing-his-x-factor-spinners-in-england-20180622
If Kohli as the best #3 in the history of odi cricket, at a young age and still in his prime, is prepared to bat 4 in the pursuit of winning, he will change his XI too. And we all know how much and often Kohli will change an XI so as to win.

R!TTER

State Regular
I have a feeling we won't be playing two wrist spinners in the WC but it's just ridiculous to drop either atm. Especially just to make way for nostrils who may only be effective upfront with the new ball. And that's not a given either. You talk wickets but that's exactly what Kuldeep/Chahal bring atm.
If that's the case then why is Kumar picked over Umesh or Shami, both are wicket takers yet the former is being preferred since 2016/17 in LO & Kumar doesn't even have a record (i.e. wickets) to speak of in this form of the game. For all the talk of backing seamers, why does Kohli not pick these 2 genuine wicket takers regularly in LO games, perhaps it's the Dhoni effect?

That's in part due to the ridiculous fielding rules that were in play from 2013/14 to 2015/16. There's also the novelty factor which will wear off when more teams play the spinners regularly & have a set game plan, especially Chahal, though Kuldeep should still be exceptional.

Last edited:

garylyon

School Boy/Girl Captain
If that's the case then why is Kumar picked over Umesh or Shami, both are wicket takers yet the former is being preferred since 2016/17 in LO & Kumar doesn't even have a record (i.e. wickets) to speak of in this form of the game. For all the talk of backing seamers, why does Kohli not pick these 2 genuine wicket takers regularly in LO games, perhaps it's the Dhoni effect?
I actually kind of agree with that. Bhuvi is a weak link in current Indian attack which is otherwise probably the best in LO rn.

Daemon

I think it's because Bhuvi's been improving his death bowling and he's been impressive in T20s.

I think Shami deserves to be ahead of him in ODIs personally. He was very good in the WC.

Yadav though, idk.

cnerd123

likes this
Bhuvi just looks the goods. His numbers aren't flash but he's been in and out of the team a lot and has bowled on some hideously flat tracks. Worth given an extended run. Plus despite the numbers he's been one of our better death bowlers, as Daemon says.

There is definitely an element of the selectors mixing up red ball form with white ball form tho

Borges

International Regular
Bhuvi is a weak link in current Indian attack which is otherwise probably the best in LO rn.
I think Bhuvi is not a bad choice, at least for T20s. There is a strong case for not selecting Bhuvi for any limited overs game at all; we just can't afford to have him in the injury list when it is time for the part that matters: test matches.

vcs

England bowling.

What a ****ing Friday.. World Cup, Wimbledon and cricket also. :)

Happy weekend. :)

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Pandya's batting average in t20 internationals is under 15. This guy is a complete fraud. Gives false sense of safety that we have an all rounder giving the team balance but does nothing of note.

Last edited: