• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India Tour of England 2018

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Virat Kohli happy to play the 'cushion' role as KL Rahul inflates India's ambitions - ESPNcricinfo

Kohli said:
"I am batting 4. I used to bat 3. It allows me to control the innings a bit more, when you have someone as good as KL in the Powerplay, the minute he gets in or after that as well, he just keeps going after the bowlers, knowing that he has senior batsmen behind him."

"That sort of mindset is something that we want these youngsters to experience and just go and play free cricket and be fearless. Absolutely enjoy themselves in the middle. The way he batted and the way Kuldeep bowled is exactly how we want them to play. There are going to be days when it is not going to come off, but we don't want them to chase their mindset. We want to be that cushion behind them that sort of gives them the freedom to go out and express themselves."

srbhkshk

International Captain
I suppose if Kohli does the same in ODIs then our batting order is pretty much sorted. #5 the only place of contention , should be one of Raina / Jadhav because of the need of a 6th bowling option.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Should be Dinesh Karthik at 6. Dhoni at 5. From evidence of IPL, Dhoni is doing better than Raina.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Not a fan of Kohli moving down to 4. Let Rahul bat at 4. You didn't see Ponting move down the order to accomodate a player in the XI in his peak.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Strange that England are really really good at ODIs atm, especially at home, yet utterly mediocre at T20Is. They were the worst team in that NZ/Aus/Eng T20 series 6 months ago too.

Meanwhile, both Buttler & Rahul are spiced-up beasts in this format.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Strange that England are really really good at ODIs atm, especially at home, yet utterly mediocre at T20Is. They were the worst team in that NZ/Aus/Eng T20 series 6 months ago too.

Meanwhile, both Buttler & Rahul are spiced-up beasts in this format.
Dude, they were without Stokes, Root, Ali, Bairstow, Plunkett and Woakes and played Malan, Vince, Billings, Dawson Wood and Tom Curran.

They hardly prioritised that tri-series and were rightfully non-qualifying for the final as a result.

I'm still upset that they beat NZ 3-2 in the ODI matches when they brought out their A-listers.

NZ has been a graveyard for visiting teams in ODI in recent years, I wanted it to include England too.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Not a fan of Kohli moving down to 4. Let Rahul bat at 4. You didn't see Ponting move down the order to accomodate a player in the XI in his peak.
I think it is a smart move. India is looking to up the ante on big scores heading into England 2019. Virat slipping down to give Rahul a chance makes sense. Especiually if Dhoni won't make way for Karthik or Pant. Virat has enunciated a clear game plan, the opener with Sharma in Dhawan and #3 play aggressive, he and Dhoni will revive if it goes pear shaped.

Virat should be commended for this sacrifice (heck knows I criticise his play for RCB a lot in the past), and not jeered at. It is utterly responsible and team first in my opinion. He wants to win as a captain more than polish his own odi career record (which is already beyond fabulous imo - amazing odi player, and now as captain, he is showing that his personal career means less to him than his captaincy legacy, which is what I would ideally want from a captain, I'm not criticising Punter neither - apples and oranges).

I give Virat a new feather for his cap to be honest. With Virat now demonstrating these levels of open-mindedness - India may just go the extra mile.

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
The timing sucks. THe whole batting order will need to be reorganized one year before the WC. If he was set on doing it, it should have happened after the 2019 WC.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
The timing sucks. THe whole batting order will need to be reorganized one year before the WC. If he was set on doing it, it should have happened after the 2019 WC.
The timing 1 year out is more than fine to prep for. There will be a tonne of ODI games before the WC kicks off, home and away. Heck NZ has a home summer kicking off in November to sort our team out for the WC build up. India is touring too. Probably playing ODI's in Straya as well. Plus whatever they have at home before WC warm-ups. There's a lot of odi cricket on the way.

Last edited: