• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wastemen etc

Who the better batsman

• Ajay Jadeja

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Mahmudullah

Votes: 10 83.3%

• Total voters

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not sure Rashid's back of the length quickish deliveries will be nearly as effective in the longer format. He's probably got a different game plan for Tests that remains to be seen, but I think he'll do well.
In a recent interview, he has mentioned that he is not going to change anything in his bowling plan for tests though there is a risk of going wicketless. In one way, it is good. Looking forward to the test.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Please in the future when you are creating threads, make sure you give us a description of who the player/s are you are referring to.

10 point font. Times New Roman. Double spaced. At least 2000 words.
And cite your references.
This is a good idea, Slippy. While the others have negative opinions on you creating new threads for individual players, I for one welcome it. It is interesting to focus on a single player or two and discuss. But as mentioned above, it will be good if you can provide a description in the opening post instead of a one-liner.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hasn't been the same since Richie Benaud bowled him on the final afternoon at Old Trafford in 1961.

Daemon

In a recent interview, he has mentioned that he is not going to change anything in his bowling plan for tests though there is a risk of going wicketless. In one way, it is good. Looking forward to the test.
That's a bit concerning imo. He should definitely toss it up more often at the very least.

cnerd123

likes this
I don't remember Rashid tossing it up when he bowled here in the 4 day game vs HK, but he did vary his pace through the air. That's an effective tool. Might not be enough against Test-caliber batsmen.

Daemon

I don't remember Rashid tossing it up when he bowled here in the 4 day game vs HK, but he did vary his pace through the air. That's an effective tool. Might not be enough against Test-caliber batsmen.
Tbf there are some very ordinary players of spin going round. He could bowl blindfolded on one leg and still get guys like Khawaja out.

TheJediBrah

I think there must be something getting lost in translation there, he is a genuine wrist-spinner. His main delivery, googly, is all wrist. Maybe he just means that he holds the ball loosely in his fingers? I dunno maybe he's just talking ****.

Jack1

International Debutant
Perhaps he considers using his fingers the most dominant thing in his mind to his bowling or he's just trying to confuse all and the batsmen more

Jack1

International Debutant
You do bring up a good point about his not tossing it up. Here in England on sky sports they always tell the English bowlers to toss it up to improve. But I have noticed the better spinners over the years don't tend to do that at all, or very rarely. The better spin bowlers seem just bowl a standard trajectory well, good control, good variation and good plans. They don't toss/float it up and don't bowl flat either. It's basically just a conventional loop almost always for the best ones.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I?m practising five different types of deliveries in the nets for Test match against India: Rashid Khan | The Indian Express

Giving insights into his bowling, Khan said,”I bowl different types of googlies. But the one that is most effective is when I use my fingers, rather than the wrist to make the ball go the other way.”

“The leg spin is from the front of my fingers. But for the special googly, I tweak it hard and the ball goes over the back of the fingers. I adjust the wrist in a manner that it cannot be easily spotted. It is my arm speed and the pace with which I deliver this ball that makes it possible. When I showed this to a couple of IPL leg spinners they were surprised. But when they tried it the ball fell at their feet,” he added.
I am not a leg spin bowler, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is mixing up especially flipper techniques (maybe even from sliders) and more into leg breaks; and using more than his third finger in the process for leg breaks as well as googlies in addition.

"I call myself a finger spinner," Rashid observes, leaving you confused as you start the conversation, addressing him as one of the best wristspinners around.

"Sounds unusual but that's how I bowl," he tells you as you try to recover from the vicious wrong-one. He explains: "I don't use my wrist a lot in my bowling. I use my fingers as I deliver using the tip of my fingers. That helps me bowl quicker. I am a leg-spinner who bowls good wrong-uns."
http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-new...er-rashid-khan-afghanistan-cricket-bangladesh

Or his intended meaning it could be as simple as him using the tip of the finger grip may generate sufficent leg and googly revs imparted than holding the ball deeper in the hand and generating more wrist turn, and the wrest of the spinners dropped the ball in the delivery swing as not having sufficient finger tip grip on it.

Either way, he appears to be unique, if all quotes are true above.

If he continues to be a star, I look forward to his special feature about his bowling in hd or better.

I think I get what he means by the two googlies, one rolling off the fingers, (as against out of the fingers). I still don't know what he means about his leg break for sure. To flipper snap a leg break as a stock ball and his level of control is a feat and a half. He does bowl a few halftrackers, and this explains not tossing it up, but he still bowls more good balls (in his 4 overs which may be a factor in tests later to changing his stock balls). Of course his pace saves him a bit with those halftrackers, and batsmen worried its a googly will cause more caution.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

I think there must be something getting lost in translation there, he is a genuine wrist-spinner. His main delivery, googly, is all wrist. Maybe he just means that he holds the ball loosely in his fingers? I dunno maybe he's just talking ****.
Upon reflection, the more likely scenario is that I shouldn't assume that I know more about leg-spin bowling than one of the best leg-spin bowlers in the world and I'm the one talking ****

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Loved the interview in an Indian news channel.

Journalist: Which Indian batsman plays you the best?
Rashid: I didn't see anyone.

Jounalist thought Rashid didn't understand his question. So, he tries again.

Journalist: (slowly) No - but, - Which - Indian - batsman - plays - you - the - best?
Rashid: So far, I didn't come across anyone like that.

Journalist is frustrated at this point. So, he directly says what he wanted to hear.

Journalist: What about Virat Kohli?

Rashid gives a shy smile (he doesn't want to praise himself anymore). Mohammad Nabi was also present in the interview. So, he says now.

Nabi: Whenever Rashid comes to bowl, Kohli tries his best to go to non-striker end.

:)